Death Rides a Horse..Great movie!!!

iron flag

I just watched this for the first time and its an excellent spaghetti western. Top 10 for sure. I got the german DVD. The title is "Die Rechnung wird mit Blei bezahlt". Perfect picture,widescreen etc.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great movie and one of my fave westerns too. Watched 'The Great Silence' again the other night...what an awesome movie!!!

I haven't seen Great Silence. I'm going to order it today. Has anyone seen "The Grand Duel"?

Yeah, the Wild East boot is cut though. The trailer has some of the footage in it. I have the R2 MGM DEATH RIDES A HORSE and it's supposed to be getting a legit US release soon. Here's some other greats to pick up--

NAVAJO JOE (1966)-This is supposed to be coming out from MGM very soon.

DAY OF ANGER (1967) Lee Van Cleef and Guiliano Gemma who was as popular as Eastwood was in Italy.

A PISTOL FOR RINGO (1965) A Huge hit and one of Gemma's best.

RETURN OF RINGO (1965) Gemma returns in this loose sequel.

THE HILLS RUN RED (1965) MGM recently put this out. Henry Silva gives a great performance.

ONE SILVER DOLLAR (1965) Gemma again framed for a crime he didn't commit.

FORT YUMA GOLD (1966) Another European hit starring Gemma about protecting a strong box of gold from renegade southerners.

MAN FROM NOWHERE aka ARIZONA COLT (1966) One of Gemma's best ever and could be RINGO 3.

GREAT SILENCE (1968) Any SW fan worth his salt MUST see this movie ASAP. Even knowing how it ends doesn't begin to prepare you for it.

SABATA (1969) Lee Van Cleef stars in this first of three movies about a gunfighter who uses trick guns and is always one step ahead of his enemies. Yul Brynner stars in the second and LVC returns for the third.

LIGHT THE FUSE...SARTANA'S COMING! (1971) The best of the Gianni Garko Sartana movies. Some crazy gadgets enhance this film about the "magician" gunslinger who is an amalgamation of Sabata and James West sans the secret agent shtick.

There were around 500 to 600 spaghetti westerns made between 1963 and 1975. Of those I'd say around 50 of them are classic or above average with another 50 being average or slightly better and the remainder being below average, mediocre or just plain awful.

Yeah. I'll keep looking around for it. Looks like Spaghetti Westerns & Kung Fu movies are 2 of the most neglected genres as far as getting DVD releases for very good movies! Lots of those titles are nowhere to be found..Has anyone seen "Hellbenders" btw?

HELLBENDERS is more of a suspense western. It has action but there's more suspense that is very well handled by Corbucci. There was another film the year prior to this one that is similar with a helluva cast called THE TRAMPLERS (1966) also starring Cotten, Gordon Scott, Chris Mitchum and a debuting Franco Nero. Also add DJANGO (1966) to the above list and JOHNNY ORO (1966) is also another ultra violent Corbucci western.

Thanks, I have Django, really like it. How about Massacre Time (Il tempo di Massacro)? I liked "Four of the Apocalypse" another Fulci western.

The Italian DVD for MASSACRE TIME is the best I've seen. It's not Celestial quality mind you, but the colors are vibrant throughout and it has been cleaned up a bit compared with the other releases out there. It also has an interview with George Hilton but with no English subs on it. The movie itself has an English track on it.

the German DVD for MASSACRE TIME has much better Picture Quality (remastered 16:9 Print, the Italian one is an old Video Analog Master used) , but no English Options :(

Hellbenders is quite good, and I also really enjoyed Texas, Adios. I thought The Hills Run Red was really pretty terrible---I have no interest in watching that again. The Big Gundown is fantastic---that is the greatest theme song ever! I got the Franco Van Cleef version at xploited cinema, and it was a really awesome looking widescreen, anamorphic print.

ironfistedmonk

I think I have a decent copy of Day of Anger if you are interested, 7 Commandments of Kung Fu was a remake of this spag western

Archived