Breakout from Oppression?

Asmo

I'm interested in seeing this purely because it's an early outing for Liu Chia-Hui but I was wondering if it has any other reedeming qualities?

Thanks.

I thought it was horribly dull + the “rolling barrel“-scene was so bad that I just can’t forget about it, no matter how hard I try. It sure was an instant throw-away movie :(

I didn’t care much for the choreography. Everything in this movie just bores me out. On the other hand, if you’re to pick up this flick go for the Mainland DVD which is in widescreen, you will only loose 25HKD if you threw it away afterwards.

Someone put up a clip for the movie on youtube so here’s an example of the fighting:

OrVvOydvDoE

That's only about $3 Australian, so I think I might go for it.

What places have it for that price? :)

Thanks.

Guest Markgway

Is the English dub cut? The Ground Zero edition that is? 79m NTSC (although it could be a PAL transfer I suppose) is alarm bells short.

How do we know this was filmed in 1973 (as is listed almost everywhere) when the HK release date was 1978?

The English dub for this one is pretty horrendous.. I don't think this one was made made in 1978. Gordon Liu looks younger in this one, closer to how he looked like in his earlier bit roles in Shaw Brothers movies. The choreography is also much not as complicated and intricate as in the other movies LKL did in '78.

Morgoth Bauglir

Just a shot in the dark here, but my guess is that it was filmed in 74. Could be 73 though. Definitely not 78. There's no way that Lau Kar Leung made this crap movie while doing all that awesome stuff at Shaws. If it was filmed in 1976, or after, I think he would have had higher standards, even for a low budget movie like this.

Guest Markgway

I'm sure it was filmed several years earlier than release. I'm just wondering where 1973 specifically comes from (as opposed to say 1972 or 1974)?

Also any Chinese posters/lobbies for this one? I have one that lists the title as Return of the Tiger (but that's clearly been pasted over the original). And the original production company has been blanked out also. Bah. Any know how produced this?

The HKFA DB list "Ka Wah" (inverted commas because the name is only in Chinese script)

The HKFA FG list "Wu Zhou" (also Chinese only)

The HKMDB lists Wuzhou aka Ng Chow and Golden Tripod.

I get the feeling that Golden Tripod only distributed the film. If you look at the Deadly Strike print (the one that contains the GT logo) the credits are new and so is the producer's credit for Shih Chao-Chin. The original credits (seen mostly on the Ground Zero POS) credit co-director Yang Fan as writer-producer. Golden Tripod is Shih Chao-Chin. I think Golden Tripod rebranded a movie which had sat for years on a shelf as their own.

So Wuzhou could still be the prod. co. EXCEPT the only Wuzhou I could find appeared to make Cantonese B&W movies in the 1940s. Doesn't sound at all like the same company. And who the hell is "Ka Wah"?

HELP!?!

Guest Markgway

Damn. The Ground Zero version (which looks like a piece of shit compared to the clip posted earlier) runs only 78:34 (NTSC). I smell cuts. Mind you the Chinese DVD (which I should held out for) reportedly only runs 79:11 (PAL). That's roughly 4 mins difference. So not much cut. However HK Flix list a P*n M***a release (under the re-title Deadly Strike) at 96m(!) Say it ain't so. Crap film BTW. But even crap deserves a decent uncut presentation.

Guest Markgway

I can't imagine The Liu Brothers had their own production company back when this was made. None of them had ever starred in a film let alone directed or produced one. Pretty sure Yang Fan was the man responsible but that the credits were changed when the film was released in 1978. Lobbies/posters might help but they're scarce. I only have one which called the film Return of the Tiger but it looks doctored.

I noticed that some pieces of the musical theme form Enter the Dragon are in Breakout from oppression. So, I checked on hkmdb in order to see the date of releases of the two movies.

Breakout from oppression is mentioned as a 1973 movie, but it's also written that it was released in HK only in 1978...

Does anyone have any idea why it was released to late if it was a 1973 movie ?

• Like 1

Cognoscente

Lau Kar-Leung financed the film, but couldn't get a distributor to release it until Gordon Liu became a star.

• Like 5