Super Sentai Series/Power Rangers Thread

AlbertV

Here is the official look at the new Super Sentai Avataro Sentai Donbrothers. Cast has not been revealed yet.

The Ranger names are:
DonMomotaro (Red)
OniSister (Yellow)
SaruBrother (Blue)
InuBrother (Black)
KijiBrother (Pink)

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

whitesnake

Shout Factory will release Chikyuu Sentai Fiveman: The Complete Series (from 1990-91) on DVD on September 6, 2022.  Yes, more Super Sentai in Japanese with English subtitles.  https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/chikyuu-sentai-fiveman-the-complete-series?product_id=7878 

Shout Factory will also release Kamen Rider Kuuga: The Complete Series on Blu-ray on September 20, 2022.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLmxA2Ji7nA

FiveMan trailer - 

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 3

Space Sheriff Gavan (Uchu Keiji Gavan, Japanese action TV series aired from 1982 to 1983, 44 episodes) gets a US Blu-ray release from Discotek on October 25, 2022.  "Years ago, Space Sheriff Gavan’s father was betrayed to the interstellar crime syndicate Makuu. Now, Makuu has set its sights on Earth, the home- world of Gavan’s mother, and the planet where he spent his youth. With his transforming assistant Mimi, his powerful silver combat suit and his interdimensional battleship Dolgiran."  Gavan is played by Oba Kenji (Kill Bill) and his father by Sonny Chiba.  

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Space-Sheriff-Gavan-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/321245/ 

• Like 1

Discotek Media announced on Oct 25, 2022 that it will release the Japanese live action series Kamen Rider: Black (1987 - 1988) as a 5-disc Blu-ray set with all 51 episodes. I assume the release will be early in 2023. "Description: Kidnapped foster brothers Kôtarô Minami and Nobuhiko Akizuki were turned into cyborgs by the evil empire Golgom. Having managed to escape, Kôtarô transforms into Kamen Rider Black, dedicated to fighting Golgom, and searching for Nobuhiko." Kamen Rider Black was played by Tetsuo Kurata, who since then has appeared in numerous Japanese tv series and samurai films (mostly tv movies).  News from https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=31554 

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 2

I'm sorry if this thread is not the appropriate place for this, and sorrier to bring such sad news.  Jason David Frank has died, by his own hand.  Tragic.  Rest in peace.

https://www.ign.com/articles/jason-david-frank-the-original-green-and-white-ranger-on-mighty-morphin-power-rangers-dies-at-49

Edited by starschwar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

3 hours ago, starschwar said:

I'm sorry if this thread is not the appropriate place for this, and sorrier to bring such sad news.  Jason David Frank has died, by his own hand.  Tragic.  Rest in peace.

https://www.ign.com/articles/jason-david-frank-the-original-green-and-white-ranger-on-mighty-morphin-power-rangers-dies-at-49

I just heard about this. Its really sad to lose a Power Rangers legend. Rest in Peace Jason.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Yes very sad news. I watched the show at an age so young I can't remember exactly what age it was, but under five. Power Rangers was one of the (if not the very) first exposures to martial arts in my life, sure it may not hold up to adult standards, but we all loved it and would always play Power Rangers outside and pick which colour we were, funnily enough the Green Ranger was my favourite.

So sadly it feels like a little peace of my childhood has left with him, but I'm very thankful for the joy he brought to my life and so many others.

RIP Jason

image.jpeg.6cc29282f8cd0697c3de703d8e91263b.jpeg

• Sad 2
  • Buddha Bless You 2

Before his passing, JDF shot a movie called Legend of the White Dragon alongside fellow Power Ranger alumni Jason Faunt (Red Ranger - Time Force), Cerina Vincent (Yellow Ranger - Lost Galaxy) and Ciara Hanna (Yellow Ranger - Megaforce/Super Megaforce). The film also stars Michael Madsen, Mark Dacascos, Jennifer Van Dien, and Aaron Schoenke. It was supposed to be released this year, but maybe early 2023 to honor JDF?

There's also some news on the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers reunion special which will be set up by an episode of the Power Rangers Cosmic Fury series. The special will premiere in April 2023. 

Power-Rangers-Returning-Cast-Honouring-M

Officially set to join the special are

Walter Jones as Zack, the OG Black Ranger
David Yost as Billy, the OG Blue Ranger
Johnny Yong Bosch as Adam, Black Ranger #2
Steve Cardenas as Rocky, Red Ranger #2
Karan Ashley as Aisha, Yellow Ranger #2
Catherine Sutherland as Kat, Pink Ranger #2

and a new character will be introduced, Minh, who will be played by Charlie Kersh. Mihn is the daughter of the original Yellow Ranger, Trini.

And there's some updates on Ohsama Sentai KingOhger, which has been revealed it will feature six rangers with insect/vehicle motifs.

RedKing will be a Kabuto Beetle
BlueKing will be a Dragonfly
BlackKing will be a Bee
PinkKing will be a Butterfly
YellowKing will be a Mantis
PurpleKing will be a Spider

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Before his passing, JDF shot a movie called Legend of the White Dragon alongside fellow Power Ranger alumni Jason Faunt (Red Ranger - Time Force), Cerina Vincent (Yellow Ranger - Lost Galaxy) and Ciara Hanna (Yellow Ranger - Megaforce/Super Megaforce). The film also stars Michael Madsen, Mark Dacascos, Jennifer Van Dien, and Aaron Schoenke. It was supposed to be released this year, but maybe early 2023 to honor JDF?

There's also some news on the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers reunion special which will be set up by an episode of the Power Rangers Cosmic Fury series. The special will premiere in April 2023. 

Power-Rangers-Returning-Cast-Honouring-M

Officially set to join the special are

Walter Jones as Zack, the OG Black Ranger
David Yost as Billy, the OG Blue Ranger
Johnny Yong Bosch as Adam, Black Ranger #2
Steve Cardenas as Rocky, Red Ranger #2
Karan Ashley as Aisha, Yellow Ranger #2
Catherine Sutherland as Kat, Pink Ranger #2

and a new character will be introduced, Minh, who will be played by Charlie Kersh. Mihn is the daughter of the original Yellow Ranger, Trini.

And there's some updates on Ohsama Sentai KingOhger, which has been revealed it will feature six rangers with insect/vehicle motifs.

RedKing will be a Kabuto Beetle
BlueKing will be a Dragonfly
BlackKing will be a Bee
PinkKing will be a Butterfly
YellowKing will be a Mantis
PurpleKing will be a Spider

I'll defiantly be watching both of these when they come out. 

• Like 2

Just got through watching the five-part Mighty Morphin Power Rangers episode “Green with Evil” that introduced Jason David Frank to the Power Rangers franchise. It’s not much, but I wanted to do something as a tribute to him. 

• Like 2

On April 19, Netflix will premiere Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Once and Always, the 30th anniversary of MMPR and this is a featurette with the cast and writers. Amy Jo Johnson confirmed that she was asked to come back as Kimberly, but she ultimately declined but is in full support of her fellow Rangers. Hence 2nd pink ranger Catherine Sutherland makes her return. 

https://www.eonline.com/news/1361860/amy-jo-johnson-explains-why-shes-not-in-the-mighty-morphin-power-rangers-reunion

She has been working these days both in front and behind the cameras as a TV series director. She recently directed an episode of Superman and Lois.

• Like 1

kingohger-fotoalternativa-banner-destaca

On March 5, the 47th Super Sentai team arrives with Ohsama Sentai KingOhger. King-Ohger begins in the world of Chikyuu– which has five kingdoms. The leaders of each kingdom have gathered for thousands of years to protect their land as the Ohsama Sentai- with powers granted by the Kings Weapon that can take new forms for each wielder.

KuwagaOhger (Red) is the self-proclaimed king brimming with fighting spirit. His Kings Weapon form is a shield.
TonboOhger (Blue) is extremely smart and extremely competitive. He uses the Kings Weapon in gun form.
KamikiriOhger (Yellow) is a selfish queen but will face danger to protect others. Her Kings Weapon becomes a scythe.
PapillionOhger (Purple) is normally calm-minded but unforgiving to evil, using the Kings Weapon in bow form
HachiOhger (Black) is a cheerful lord with unpredictable fighting styles. His Kings Weapon becomes a claw.

Cast has not been announced as of yet. 

• Like 2

On 8/19/2022 at 4:26 PM, whitesnake said:

Space Sheriff Gavan (Uchu Keiji Gavan, Japanese action TV series aired from 1982 to 1983, 44 episodes) gets a US Blu-ray release from Discotek on October 25, 2022.  "Years ago, Space Sheriff Gavan’s father was betrayed to the interstellar crime syndicate Makuu. Now, Makuu has set its sights on Earth, the home- world of Gavan’s mother, and the planet where he spent his youth. With his transforming assistant Mimi, his powerful silver combat suit and his interdimensional battleship Dolgiran."  Gavan is played by Oba Kenji (Kill Bill) and his father by Sonny Chiba.  

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Space-Sheriff-Gavan-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/321245/ 

Having bought this recently on blu ray and still not seen it due to backlog, I've just discovered that there's Space Sheriff Sharivan & Space Sheriff Shaider!

Also I happened to discover this short 13 episode series. (I recently made a thread about it in the question & answers because I didn't know or knew people would be interested in Tokusatsu shows.)

This looks great. Like Miracle Fighters without the kung fu.

It would be nice if it was released by Discotek or shout. I only see it for sale for $150 on CD Japan. Rather alot of money for something you can't understand without subtitles.

Only two episodes are available on the official Toei channel.

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 2

Ordered the series from Amazon.jp. Took 4 days to reach the UK. Nice boxset with a little handy book - if you can read Japanese, which I can't lol.

20230126_140629.jpg

20230126_140558.jpg

20230126_140619.jpg

• Like 2

Tokusatsu Sentai Dekaranger: The Complete Series, all 50 episodes, from Shout Factory, on DVD, release Feb 14, 2023, in Japanese, subtitled in English. The series aired in Japan from Feb 15, 2004 to Feb 6, 2005. "Welcome to Megalopolis! Once a peaceful Earth city, it's now a haven for criminals aided by the nefarious Alienizer arms dealer, Agent Abrella. Now, it's up to Ban Akaza and the Special Police Dekarangers to protect the Earth from the invading Alienizers and finally bring peace and justice back to the planet." https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/tokusou-sentai-dekaranger-the-complete-series?product_id=7988  

Dekaranger theme song - 

Bakuryu Sentai Abaranger: The Complete Series, all 50 episodes, from Shout Factory, on DVD, release Nov 8, 2022, in Japanese, subtitled in English. The series aired in Japan from Feb 15, 2003 to Feb 8, 2004. "The meteorite believed to have once killed off the dinosaurs actually rattled the Earth into two parallel universes — Another Earth and Dino Earth, where dinosaurs continued to thrive. Now they have evolved into the Saurians, a race of humanoid dinosaurs, and the Bakuryū , a race of mechanized dinosaurs. But the wall between our universes has been breached. The Evolians that have been at war with the Saurians and Bakuryuū have invaded, and it's up to the Abarangers to protect the world!"

Abaranger theme song - 

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 2

The cast for Ohsama Sentai KingOhger was announced yesterday in Japan. The show premieres on March 5. 

king-ohger-cast01_orig.jpg
Taisei Sakai
 will play Gira aka Kuwagata-Ohger, The self-proclaimed king of Shugoddam who is also kind-hearted. 

king-ohger-cast02_orig.jpg
Aoto Watanabe will play Yanma Gust/Tonbo-Ohger. The sovereign of a technological country who rose through through power with the help of his computer.

king-ohger-cast03_orig.jpg
Erika Murakami will play Himeno Ran/Kamakiri-Ohger. A beautiful and selfish queen but a helpful doctor who is always ready to save lives. 

king-ohger-cast04_orig.jpg
Yuzuki Hirakawa will play Rita Kanisuka/Papillon-Ohger. A stalwart sovereign who is a conservative and cautious person but is also fair and just. 

king-ohger-cast05_orig.jpg
So Kaku will play Kaguraki Dybuski/Hachi-Ohger. A person who is not to be trusted. His best aspect is that he will do anything just to achieve and keep the peace. 

king-ohger-castfull_orig.jpg

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Yggdrasil

Voltes V Legacy Taglish

For a Filipino production, the CGI isn't cack. I'd like to see more as I love mecha.

Seems the episode has been blocked unless you're from the Philippines. So if you have a VPN, change it.

https://mechacatalogue.com/2023/01/07/full-reveal-after-3-years-voltes-v-legacy-5-minute-trailer/

I am mighty impressed on how well it looks between the live action and the anime. I wonder though how many episodes they'll have?

Watching this show, knowing Tagalog is not needed as it's generally in Taglish anyway. I only know 50 or so words of Tagalo/Bisaya anyway. 

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 1

The official opening to Power Rangers: Cosmic Fury. The series premieres September 29 on Netflix and Billy is back...as is Lord Zedd!

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

On 8/17/2023 at 10:51 AM, AlbertV said:

The official opening to Power Rangers: Cosmic Fury. The series premieres September 29 on Netflix and Billy is back...as is Lord Zedd!

Looks pretty good! Been a while since I watched a Power Rangers show. I might check this one out. 

The girl that plays Izzy actually reminds me of a good friend I used to know. It's not her of course, but she does favor her. 

On 8/31/2023 at 11:24 PM, DarthKato said:

Looks pretty good! Been a while since I watched a Power Rangers show. I might check this one out. 

The girl that plays Izzy actually reminds me of a good friend I used to know. It's not her of course, but she does favor her. 

We binged the series as it's only 8 episodes, but damn good. David Yost returns as Billy, serving as a mentor to the team and there is a 7th Ranger debuting in episode 6. There's also a return of Dina Charge villain turned hero Heckyl, reprised by Ryan Carter.

Spoiler

Fern, Izzy's girlfriend, becomes the Orange Cosmic Fury Ranger

Toei announced the name of their 48th Super Sentai Series to debut in 2024:

Bakuage Sentai Boomboomger. No further details yet. 

3zcrjyuf5gnb1.jpg

• Like 2

Space Sheriff Sharivan, the follow-up series to Space Sheriff Gavan, played on Japanese tv from March 1983 to February 1984. The series was a direct sequel to Gavan and included some of the same cast. The Sharivan series will be get a U.S. Blu-ray release by Discotek Media on February 27, 2024, in Japanese with English subtitles. Season 2 just means the series is the second in the Space Sheriff series, not that it's the 2nd season of Sharivan. More info on this release at - https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Space-Sheriff-Sharivan-Blu-ray/351466/ 

More info on the original Sharivan series - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Sheriff_Sharivan 

new promo trailer from Discotek Media  -  

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 1