Are these movies any good?

Morgoth Bauglir

Morgoth Bauglir

Here are some movies I was thinking of renting from netflix. Any opinions are welcome.

The Young Avenger (Wong Yue)

Knight Errant (Jimmy Wang Yu)

Equals Against Devils (Champ wang)

Bloody Brothers (Dicky Cheung)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Righteous Master

I have not seen any of these films. IMO how can you go wrong? You gotta pay your monthly dues with Netflix either way. I have Blockbuster myself, which I prefer over Netflix. I like that I can rent online and at the store. also Blockbuster online has a pretty darn nice selection of MA to choose from.

ironfistedmonk

Young Avenger is a shapes comedy, I quite like it but if you are one of those that doesn't like Wong Yue then you probably wont like this

Knight Errant is a Jimmy Wang Yu basher, not his greatest film but you have got to check out the scene with Kung Fu Mama and the car, crazy stuff!

will91XingYu

I havent seen them but Young Avenger has aparently a great end fight with Wong Yu and Wilson Tong.

Morgoth Bauglir

Alrighty, thanks for the info guys. I will probably check them all out.

Has anyone heard of Equals Against Devils? Netflix says it stars Roc Tien and Champ wang.

KNIGHT ERRANT is really wacky. Kurata is one of the main villains. The old woman is the chief heavy and she's pretty damn tough. Wang Yu pretty much plays himself.

I used to have that YOUNG AVENGER from Video Treasures. I didn't think much of it at the time as it was mostly comedy as ironfistedmonk mentioned above. I think there's one scene where Wong Yu is showing Chinese stag movies in a theater inside a tent or something like that.

Morgoth Bauglir
The old woman is the chief heavy and she's pretty damn tough.

WTF? I have to get this imediately.

ironfistedmonk

Equals Against Devils is an aka for Desperate Prodigal, directed and choreographed by Tien Peng if that helps any, I've not watched this one yet tho

I don't remember if there was any kung fu in Equals Against Devils but it was certainly LOTS of billiards-playing. I think it was the main-theme and the movie might be quite crappy, but I'm not sure. That's all I can tell you right now because it was very long ago since I watched it. I still have the DVD but I doubt that I will give it a second watch.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I think there's one scene where Wong Yu is showing Chinese stag movies in a theater inside a tent or something like that.

LOL!

young avenger is one funny movie with excellent fight scenes, the scene in the theatre has to be seen to be believed.

Morgoth Bauglir

Sweet, I can't wait to see it. And I hope Equals Against Devils isn't a billiards movie. That would suck. Thanks for the info everyone.

Morgoth Bauglir

I just watched Knight Errant and I can't believe what I just saw. I think they actually run this woman over. Not only does Wang Yu run her over, he stops the car right on her and peels out! I have never seen anything like it before. And the Pathfinder DVD is awesome. I'm gonna have to buy this one. Does anyone know how much it would cost me if I told netflix that I lost the disc?

EDIT- I watched it again (with commentary) and I think it was a stunt double. I'm still not 100% sure. That would be crazy if they actually ran her over, but she was so freaking tough I would believe it if they did. Wang Yu says in the interview that he was hitting her for real, and you can tell.

I just figured they dug a hole that he actresses lower half would be placed in. How's the commentary? Haven't listened to it or watched the interview either for that matter.

ironfistedmonk

From memory they did dig a hole which meant only half of Kung Fu Mama was above the surface, but the old gal was still driven over by a damn car :eek:

I'm assuming she was a real life kung fu master, I've seen her take some wacks and she looks hard as nails, anyone know much about her background?

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah they definitely ran someone over. That hole in the ground lessens the impact somewhat, but you would still have to be a total badass to take it. I think Wang Yu said in the interview that she has a wushu school. I will have to watch it again and tell you exactly what he said ironfistedmonk. I liked the commentary. They are not experts or anything, but it's enjoyable. And the interview is great stuff. Besides Master of the Flying Guillotine, is there anymore of these oldschool Pathfinder releases I am missing out on?

Morgoth Bauglir

Well that's 2 people who strongly urged me to avoid it. Thanks for the info. Is it a billiards movie like dragonherb said?

Knight Errant was so so, nothing special. Bloody Brothers is the same, typical heroic bloodshed that's been done better many times, but both are worth watching if you're bored. I haven't seen the other two!

mantis FIST

The Young Avenger (Wong Yue)

Knight Errant (Jimmy Wang Yu)

I liked both of these films. I think young avenger was directed by wilson tong? Either way I thought it was really good. I still have the old ocean shores tape.

Enjoy!

Coliseum1972

My reviews :

Chinese Hercules

All in all a good one.....similar to Big Boss but not as good imo......4 out of 6

Hapkido

Classic Chinese vs Japanese conflict.....similar to Fist of Fury 4/6

Five fingers of Death

I dunno at times it dragged a bit but still : 3/6

Coliseum1972

Broken Oath 4/6 (was a bit underwhelmed by this one , it wasn't really all that exciting imo...)

Infernal Street 3/6 (expected more , just average fare really)

When Taekwondo Strikes 4/6

Dragons Forever 3.5/6 (too much slap stick , end fight delivered though)

Magnificent Warriors 2.5/6 (shudder , what a tedious movie....some kinda Indy Jones ripoff ? That theme song just made me angry , over & over again :(

Young Avenger is decent. I thought the scenes with Wong Yu and the "ghost" dragged on a bit myself.

Knight Errant is meh. The only parts that interested me were when the Kung Fu Bad Ass Mama was training Lung Fei, Kurata and that other guy (forgot his name).

Archived