Drunken Master 1 or 2?

Righteous Master

Which is better film Drunken Master of Legend of the Drunken Master?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better film Drunken Master of Legend of the Drunken Master?

• Drunken Master
    • Legend of the Drunken Master

TibetanWhiteCrane

Or spend some time at home! ever read his diary on his website?, the guy is on the move 24-7. Props for all his movie and charity work, but his wife must be pretty lonely! (no offense Jackie...... like he's really gonna read this)

Righteous Master
While the fights in "Drunken Master 2" are some of the best ever committed to film, I feel "Drunken Master" is the better movie overall. Why? Well the original has that old school feel to it. However, I do now view "Drunken Master 2" and ask "Why can't Jackie make another movie like this?"

This is exactly why I like the original DM much better than LOTDM. I also agree that Jackie should have done more MA period films (I personally am not a big fan of his modern films). One of the commentators (sorry I forgot his name) on the American Sony release of DM talks about having a conversation with Jackie after the release of DM and talks about how he told Jackie that films like DM are what all his fans want to see.

Righteous Master
I agree with you... I think the time has come for Jackie to gracefully step aside. Wether you like it or not, he's not getting any younger and maybe he should think about focusing on directing and action choreographing. It would be nice if he put his knowledge to help create new action stars...

I completly disagree. Why can't Jackie do a role reversal and play the old master like in DM? Why can't he also direct and lend his skills to up and coming MA stars? Hey, we all can't do it, but why can't Jackie have his cake and eat it too?

Righteous Master
Or spend some time at home! ever read his diary on his website?, the guy is on the move 24-7. Props for all his movie and charity work, but his wife must be pretty lonely! (no offense Jackie...... like he's really gonna read this)

I am sure she is! But she must also be financially comfortable enough (or love Jackie enough) to put up with him not being home very often. I hope for the latter in this case.

Righteous Master
I didn't like it.

But what does Fist of Fury have to do with DM 1 or DM 2?

Absolutly nothing. I believe Dragon was just trying to be funny.

Legend all the way, fights are better-- the finale in LotDM is one of my all time favorites and blows DM finale away at least in the full scale of it. And, also, Chan is a better choreographer than Yuen.

Righteous Master
Legend all the way, fights are better-- the finale in LotDM is one of my all time favorites and blows DM finale away at least in the full scale of it. And, also, Chan is a better choreographer than Yuen.

Have to disagree once again. The finale in LOTDM was good, but not that good. Yuen Woo Ping IMO is by far the better MA choreographer.

What wrong with you Righteous Master, are you really that much of an idiot. You've actually quadruple-posted! I don't think I've actually seen somebody go that far. Double-posting isn't even allowed, so chill with it. All you have to do is put all 4 quotes in one message. :rolleyes:

Here, let me show you like a first grader:

While the fights in "Drunken Master 2" are some of the best ever committed to film, I feel "Drunken Master" is the better movie overall. Why? Well the original has that old school feel to it. It has every element I like in a kung fu flick. Hwang Jang Lee is incredible as the villain, the "Stick King" fight is comical action done fantastically and, of course, we can't forget Dean Shek.

I just feel that I can watch "Drunken Master" again and again and feel that nostalgia for classic kung fu cinema I don't get with its sequel.

However, I do now view "Drunken Master 2" and ask "Why can't Jackie make another movie like this?"

I agree with you... I think the time has come for Jackie to gracefully step aside. Wether you like it or not, he's not getting any younger and maybe he should think about focusing on directing and action choreographing. It would be nice if he put his knowledge to help create new action stars...

I didn't like it.

But what does Fist of Fury have to do with DM 1 or DM 2?

Ta da! :cool:

Righteous Master
What wrong with you Righteous Master, are you really that much of an idiot. You've actually quadruple-posted! I don't think I've actually seen somebody go that far. Double-posting isn't even allowed, so chill with it. All you have to do is put all 4 quotes in one message. :rolleyes:

Here, let me show you like a first grader:

Ta da! :cool:

Sifu, I am really sorry that I had to make to make you come in here and and act like a complete JERK. Sorry, that I did do not post quotes the way that you think I should. Did you even stop to think for a second that I replied to a post, thinking that was going to be my only reply? I replied to one post and then decided AFTER the first post, that I FELT like repling to one and then another. Perhaps you should spend some time being MR. CRITICAL on yourself and stop focusing on what YOU PERCIEVE to be faults of others. I know that you CAN multiple quote IF YOU WANT TO. And if you COULD, please show me where it is NOT PERMITTED to double post.

Chinatown Kid

Sifu you were rather insulting and rude in your reply to RM, you could have stated the way you felt about the double posting without being disrespectful. Everyone on here deserves to be treated with respect and remember it's not that hard to be nice! :)

After watching DM again, I realize that my favorite part is the training sequence (even though Jackie is doubled a little by Yuen Biao, but that's all good). I think I would have liked LotDM to stay more true to the shapes of the 8 drunken gods displayed in DM, but then again, it is most uncertain how well this works in a modern movie (just look at the attempt to recreate the classics in Drunken Monkey). Bottom line for me is that you can't really compare them since they represent two completely different eras in kung fu movies, and LotDM is definately in a league of its own in its era. I guess it boils down to which movie I find the most entertaining all over, rather than looking at the directing, filming, choreography etc. So I'll still say DM, mainly because I just love the 70's and early 80's shapes movies. Maybe both are a bit overrated, but when it comes to the kung fu alone, these are probably Jackie Chan's two best movies.

Righteous Master

Wow, I guess I was proven wrong so far when I said that LOTDM was going to get more votes than DM. I am glad to be proven wrong in this case.

Wow, I guess I was proven wrong so far when I said that LOTDM was going to get more votes than DM. I am glad to be proven wrong in this case.

I knew that wouldn't happen, Drunken Master laid the groundwork for all Kung Fu comedies to follow. On top of that it literally MADE Yuen Woo Ping's career :cool:

Drunken Master is an all time classic but Drunken master 2 is an unbelievable movie and is probably one of the best Kung Fu films of all time...in my opinion that is.

Drunken Master is an all time classic but Drunken master 2 is an unbelievable movie and is probably one of the best Kung Fu films of all time...in my opinion that is.

Yes, but Drunken Master did all that on an independent budget and set the standard!

TripMasterMunky

Sorry to resurrect this topic, but I'd just like to say that I love DM1 much more and I never could see how anyone could like DM2 more. Not that it's a bad movie...just no where near DM1. I guess it's just that straight up old school feel that I love about it so much, along with the drunken master himself. The movie just had so much charm to it. And I love the scene where they go through the 8 drunken gods :D

So, I think DM2 is a good movie...but I feel DM1 is excellent. I've never seen Dance of the Drunken Mantis unfortunately, but now that I know about it I'll have to see if I can check it out somewhere.

Both are great but Drunken Master 2 is one of my fav kung fu movies. There are just so many great actionscenes in that film and remember JC was 40 years old when he played the young Wong Fei Hung. He made some of the best kungfu fights ever captured on film.

drunken2.jpg

MasterDrunk

Drunken master is a fine old skool movie.But for overall polished kung-fu entertainment LODM {id say}deserves to be considered one of the very best K-Fu's of all time.Stick em both in the cinema now and ill bet neutrals would go for LODM by miles.If you prefer the original then your probably a martial art purist or old skool diehard {and theres nothing wrong with that} Check out all the decent kung fu review sites and LODM rarely goes below maximum scores whereas the original doesn't fare quite as favourably.Both deserve to be in an all time top 50 but with LODM near the top,and original near the middle.As someone who's only really got obseesed with Fu's in the last couple of years i feel i can judge them with an open mind and while the original was great for its day/budget etc LODM had the luxery of big budget improved technology etc and thus delivered {id say} a much better overall movie,it vies with Magnificent Butcher and 8 Diagram for my No1 spot with Dm in the 30's somewhere.

LOTDM sucks... Big Time.

Not a lot of real Hung Gar on display here, and Sifu Lau is sorely missed. JC couldn't keep up with authenticity, therefore saw Sifu Lau out of the film. Allowing him to keep directorial credits doesn't amount to a hill of beans. If he had remained, with JC's talent, this might have been the best. That would be the equivelant of allowing Han Yin Kit to choreograph the fight between Lee and Chuck Norris in WOTD, and allowing Lee to do the rest.

thundered mantis

As we are in the Classic Kung Fu Forum, I choose Drunken Master. Being in Modern Kung Fu I´d choose Legend. :lol

No, seriously, Drunken Master. Too many good memories. Still, both are terrific films

LOTDM sucks... Big Time.

I wouldn't go that far, it definitely had it's moments. And it seperated itself from the Wire-Fu flicks that were ending their reign as the most popular genre in HK cinema at the time.

The finale's what had me though!

gravedigger666

Neither really.Both movies are ok to watch one time but they have nothing to make me see them again.Would rate both 3/5.Jackie and Hwang were better in snake in the eagles shadow and snake in the monkeys shadow features more interesting drunken fist fights.

Would rate both 3/5.Jackie and Hwang were better in snake in the eagles shadow

THAT'S MADNESS! Just watched Snake in the Eagles Shadow the other night and his fighting in that isn't nearly as intricate as the choreography in Drunken Master. Look again, you must've not seen either in a while. I think most'll agree.

ON TOP OF THAT, just check Mark's review, he agrees wholeheartedly about the fighting.