Drunken Master 1 or 2?

Righteous Master

Which is better film Drunken Master of Legend of the Drunken Master?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better film Drunken Master of Legend of the Drunken Master?

• Drunken Master
    • Legend of the Drunken Master

Lol! RM, you're right about that! Those fairweather fans are no where to be found when it's time to support in print. It makes me feel they say somethings just to be either controversial or for shock value, only to start debates/arguements.

:cool:

Has more to do with the fact that DM2 (aka LODM) is a "Modern Kung Fu" classic. Post this same question in the "Modern Kung Fu" section and see if the response is any different. To each his own.... but as a film DM2 is superior in EVERY aspect imaginable. Only reasonable argument that could be made in favor of DM1 (being superior) is the nostalgia factor. IMO the whole question of which is better is laughable. But as always diff strokes for diff folks, whatever floats your boat. I know people who thought "Ultraviloet" was great...and there are people who believe Uwe Boll is a great director (seriously).;)

Righteous Master
Lol! RM, you're right about that! Those fairweather fans are no where to be found when it's time to support in print. It makes me feel they say somethings just to be either controversial or for shock value, only to start debates/arguements.

Yeah, I just don't get it. Where are all of you LOTDM fanboys?

Righteous Master
Has more to do with the fact that DM2 (aka LODM) is a "Modern Kung Fu" classic. Post this same question in the "Modern Kung Fu" section and see if the response is any different. To each his own.... but as a film DM2 is superior in EVERY aspect imaginable. Only reasonable argument that could be made in favor of DM1 (being superior) is the nostalgia factor. IMO the whole question of which is better is laughable. But as always diff strokes for diff folks, whatever floats your boat. I know people who thought "Ultraviloet" was great...and there are people who believe Uwe Boll is a great director (seriously).;)

It should not matter where I post this. If they click on new posts then this topic will come up regardless. The response should be the same in either the classic or modern sections.

Guest Markgway

I went for Drunken Master II (I refuse to call it Legend of the Drunken Master). Neither are great films per se, but I enjoyed the sequel more, and especially the final fight. The original is enormously overrated: just a slightly above average 'shapes' comedy IMHO.

ironfistedmonk

Ever so slightly above average lol, the only shapes comedy I can think of better than Drunken Master is SITES. DM2 is a modern movie playing at being Old Skool, they should have never got rid of LKL, the end fight was a let down with JC just doing his going bonkers routine again like in Young Master, like in Dragon Lord, I wanted some drunken boxing not drinking stuff and going mental, again.

The Amazing Psycho Per

oops... ASMO, I meant NOT the best picture quality overall... I've just noticed that I wrote now instead of not... sorry.

As for which is the best, well for me it would be a coin toss because they are both amazing. I would have like to see how DRUNKEN MASTER 2 would've turned out if finished by Sifu Lau Kar Leung as the director... Jackie can create fast and flashy choreo but Lau's choreo's much more intricate. On a final thought, judging on fight choreography alone theyre eaqual, but DM 2 is IMO a better movie overall.

Righteous Master
I went for Drunken Master II (I refuse to call it Legend of the Drunken Master). Neither are great films per se, but I enjoyed the sequel more, and especially the final fight. The original is enormously overrated: just a slightly above average 'shapes' comedy IMHO.

I guess I am on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to the DM movies. I refuse to call LOTDM Drunken Master 2 because this is not a sequal IMO. This is a poor attempt to capture to beauty of the original DM film. LOTDM feels like an entirely different film. Also, Yuen Woo Ping is much better at directing/AC than Jackie Chan.

The Amazing Psycho Per
This is a poor attempt to capture to beauty of the original DM film.

LOL

Also, Yuen Woo Ping is much better at directing/AC than Jackie Chan.

Better Action director I agree, Yuen Woo Ping a better director then Jackie chan? Give me a break! Now your just being sily. Stop the siliness... Drunken Master may have a old school charm, a historical importance for launching both YWP and JC's carrer but you cannot seriously pretend that DM is a better "movie" in cinematic terms then DM 2... By the way, your opinion doesn't change the fact that Drunken Master 2 is the title of the movie, rather then the stupid title given by a hollywood studio to prevent viewers to be "confused" by the "2" in the title :rolleyes:.

Drunken Master may have a old school charm, a historical importance for launching both YWP and JC's carrer but you cannot seriously pretend that DM is a better "movie" in cinematic terms then DM 2...

Well that may have more to do with the period than the director. As you might remember, Jackie Chan did after all direct Young Master and Dragon Lord a couple of years after, which isn't exactly any better than Drunken Master, in cinematic terms.

The Amazing Psycho Per

good point Endsang... But I still believe Jackie grew up to be a better director then Yuen Woo Ping. But my point was the comparaison between DM 1 and 2, and not DM and what was made at the same period...

LOL

Better Action director I agree, Yuen Woo Ping a better director then Jackie chan? Give me a break! Now your just being sily. Stop the siliness... Drunken Master may have a old school charm, a historical importance for launching both YWP and JC's carrer but you cannot seriously pretend that DM is a better "movie" in cinematic terms then DM 2... By the way, your opinion doesn't change the fact that Drunken Master 2 is the title of the movie, rather then the stupid title given by a hollywood studio to prevent viewers to be "confused" by the "2" in the title :rolleyes:.

Amen! Agree with you 100%. Nor could you argue(rationally)that the fight choreography is better in DM1. MUCH faster, harder hitting, bigger/better stunts, way more intricate & much larger scale w/massive group melees. I would give DM1 the thumbs up in one area, the classic training sequences.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Watched DAGGERS 8 last night, and I think that is every bit as entertaining as DM, even though im a huge fan of Jackie and Hwang Jang Lee. Point being, DM is overrated, it's just another late 70's shapes comedy.

"Well that may have more to do with the period than the director. As you might remember, Jackie Chan did after all direct Young Master and Dragon Lord a couple of years after, which isn't exactly any better than Drunken Master, in cinematic terms." by ENDSANG

Are you shittin' me? Look at the ideas, unique touches, choice of shots, camera work, editing etc. that Jackie put into those movies, I urge you to watch them again!

I don't know, to me it just seems like he ripped off some old westerns for the "dramatic" shots, especially in Young Master. Maybe I need to watch them again.. it's not really the things I usually think about when I watch a kung fu flick.

Chinatown Kid

Well it all comes down to personal tastes, nobody is really wrong. I love the oldschool flavor of the first and am a huge fan of HJL and his fighting perfomance in it is one of his best so I favor and prefer the first. I can understand others who prefer the more modern action of DM2 and admit the choreography is top notch. Jackie's skill was still incredible in part 2 but he was nowhere near as young or in the shape he was in 1979 imo. Ken Lo was awesome as well but he still is no HJL in my book. Their was some wirework going on in part 2 that I wasn't crazy about either. Regardless, both films get a 5 out of 5 to me and I'm glad we have both to argue about which is better!:D

Righteous Master
Well it all comes down to personal tastes, nobody is really wrong. I love the oldschool flavor of the first and am a huge fan of HJL and his fighting perfomance in it is one of his best so I favor and prefer the first. I can understand others who prefer the more modern action of DM2 and admit the choreography is top notch. Jackie's skill was still incredible in part 2 but he was nowhere near as young or in the shape he was in 1979 imo. Ken Lo was awesome as well but he still is no HJL in my book. Their was some wirework going on in part 2 that I wasn't crazy about either. Regardless, both films get a 5 out of 5 to me and I'm glad we have both to argue about which is better!:D

Why is there some here that are getting really worked up? Like Chinatown Kid said,"it all comes down to personal tastes." We all have our own opinons. INDIVIDUAL OPINION is what I was looking for when I started this thread.

Well I won't do the poll because I like them both equally and agree with the points Chinatown kid brings up. It is a shame LKL left 2 and wonder how the final outcome would of been if he stayed on.

One thing I've noticed rewatching Jackie's films is the sense of vulnerability he brought to the screen, like when he punches someone in the face he was the first to show how it would hurt his hand.

Why is there some here that are getting really worked up? Like Chinatown Kid said,"it all comes down to personal tastes." We all have our own opinons. INDIVIDUAL OPINION is what I was looking for when I started this thread.

Still isn't as good as Fist Of Fury.

Righteous Master

Fist of Fury is for sure a great film by anyones standards and is probably in most peoples top 10 lists.

DM2 all the way...I do not think Jackie was that hot at all in DM.More impressive were introduction of HJL and Aunties Showdown at market place.Even Simon Yuen was nowhere as cool as in Snake.

Drunken Monk

While the fights in "Drunken Master 2" are some of the best ever committed to film, I feel "Drunken Master" is the better movie overall. Why? Well the original has that old school feel to it. It has every element I like in a kung fu flick. Hwang Jang Lee is incredible as the villain, the "Stick King" fight is comical action done fantastically and, of course, we can't forget Dean Shek.

I just feel that I can watch "Drunken Master" again and again and feel that nostalgia for classic kung fu cinema I don't get with its sequel.

However, I do now view "Drunken Master 2" and ask "Why can't Jackie make another movie like this?"

TibetanWhiteCrane

His next movie (afte Shinjuku incident) may be ARMOUR OF GOD 3! That would be sweet. But after that, I think he should think about doing something different, he's getting older after all.

The Amazing Psycho Per
, I think he should think about doing something different, he's getting older after all.

I agree with you... I think the time has come for Jackie to gracefully step aside. Wether you like it or not, he's not getting any younger and maybe he should think about focusing on directing and action choreographing. It would be nice if he put his knowledge to help create new action stars...