Drunken Master 1 or 2?

Righteous Master

Which is better film Drunken Master of Legend of the Drunken Master?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better film Drunken Master of Legend of the Drunken Master?

• Drunken Master
    • Legend of the Drunken Master

Righteous Master

It seems that I already know my answer before I even ask this question, but ask I must. Which of the Drunken Master films is the best, Drunken Master or Legend of the Drunken Master? I am going to guess that most here will vote Legend of the Drunken Master.

Chinatown Kid

I love both films but my favorite would have to be the original Drunken Master simply because of HJL's performance as Thunderfoot. The finale fight between Jackie and Ken Lo in part 2 was incredible though.

Righteous Master

I personally feel that DM is by far the better film. Here are my reasons.

1)Jackie chan is at his prime physically.

2)Hwang Jang Lee

3)Yuen Siu Tien

4)Yuen Woo Ping (Director/AC)

5)Does have that "old school" feel as opposed to LOTDM

Righteous Master

I should have added the final fight scene to my list of reasons why DM is better than LOTDM. This fight scene is my second favorite next to the final in The Prodigal Son.

Ive always felt "Drunken Master" was overrated (and a bit annoying). I personally feel that "Snake In The Eagle's Shadow" was a superior old school Jackie flick. And "Drunken Master 2" (aka LODM) is in my mind in the discussion for greatest Kung Fu flick ever made (in its uncut original form, not the cut R1 LODM version). Would'nt even be fair to compare the quality of the two films, DM2 BLOWS DM away in every category imaginable.

Morgoth Bauglir

Drunken Master is the easy choice for me. If Dance of the Drunken Mantis were included in the pole then that would be my pick. I like it just a bit more than DM.

I personally feel that DM is by far the better film. Here are my reasons.

1)Jackie chan is at his prime physically.

2)Hwang Jang Lee

3)Yuen Siu Tien

4)Yuen Woo Ping (Director/AC)

5)Does have that "old school" feel as opposed to LOTDM?

Hmmm....how bout:

1)Jackie may be younger in DM, but his physical performance (fight chore & sick stunts) is his best effort to date.

2)Ti Lung, Lau Kar Leung, Chin kar Lok, Ken Lo, Andy Lau....

3)Pops (LKL) and Jackie's choreography is twice as fast & intricate as DM1. And the tea house brawl....:eek:

4)I'll give you that, it deffinitly does feel much older...;)

That said, its not really fair to compare two films from such different era's. DM1 is an old school classic, and DM2 is otherworldly.

Righteous Master

From the information that I have read about this film (Dance of the Drunk Mantis) it seems that most sources agree that this is not the offical sequel to DM and a loose tie in to the DM series because of the character Sam Seed and others from the DM cast. It is true however that some versions of DOTDM were released as DM 2 while others as simply DOTDM. I certainly cannot say with certainty that I am correct on this topic though. Can someone else who has done some research on this topic please shed some additional light on this?

Righteous Master
Drunken Master is the easy choice for me. If Dance of the Drunken Mantis were included in the pole then that would be my pick. I like it just a bit more than DM.

I really like Dance of the Drunken Mantis (AKA unofficially DM2),

but not better than DM. If I had to choose between LOTDM and DOTDM I would choose the DOTDM. I gotta say that I was expecting the same old school kung fu feel before watching LOTDM, but for me it almost immeadiatly felt like a modern era film trying to be a old school kung fu film. The cast did not seem to work well together for me. In DM everything just seemed to click well.

I really like Dance of the Drunken Mantis (AKA unofficially DM2),

but not better than DM. If I had to choose between LOTDM and DOTDM I would choose the DOTDM. I gotta say that I was expecting the same old school kung fu feel before watching LOTDM, but for me it almost immeadiatly felt like a modern era film trying to be a old school kung fu film. The cast did not seem to work well together for me. In DM everything just seemed to click well.

Um, isn't Dance of the Drunk Mantis technically the official sequel, originally intended for Jackie Chan? Either way, I liked DOTM better, and thought Yuen Shun Yee was more fit for that part.

Hard to compare DM and LOTDM, as they fall into two different categories for me. It was mentioned that LOTDM had faster and more intricate choreography. Faster maybe, but not more intricate. DM was pure shapes with a lot of traditional kung fu that seemed far more complicated than what I saw in LOTDM. The speeding up with undercranking makes it look better, but try breaking it down to the movements. I am also quite sure DM had a lot more moves per take, which for me is a criteria for intricate choreography.

Don't get me wrong though, I love LOTDM as well, although the comedy isn't really suited for a modern movie, it is still Jackie's best film after 1990.

will91XingYu

For me it's the second one. I just love everything about that film, while i love the first one as well, that fight with Jackie against Ho Sung Park and Ken Lo is just so cool!

For me it's the second one. I just love everything about that film, while i love the first one as well, that fight with Jackie against Ho Sung Park and Ken Lo is just so cool!

Hehe, I agree. Anita's comedic character was great. Ti Lung and LKL are awesome. It was nice to see Felix Wong. I even enjoyed Andy Lau's cameo.

Both films had their own good stuff, but if I had to choose and I did, I chose the original DM. Simon Yuen will always be remembered as Beggar So, or Sam the Seed. Of course HJL is always at his best and this marks no difference as tae kwon do stylist Yen, or Thunderfoot. I believe that he used the traditional methods of TKD in the film.

There wouldn't even be a Legend of The Drunken Master, if there were no Drunken Master, or as I like to call it, Drunken Monkey in A Tiger's Eye.

This film, (the original), is the personification of a refreshing approach in a different direction, masterfully put together by Ng See Yuen, and Yuen Woo Ping, particulally after the MA film industry was in a nosedive. Just think how may countless copycats came out of the success behind this production. Li Yin Min, Billy Chong, Blackie Ho, Young Wong Yue, John Chiang, and a few others, all attemted to follow in Jackie's footsteps, just as people sought to imitate the success behind Bruce Lee's films. The great thing that separated Jackie from Bruce was he didn't allow himself to be a one dimensional onscreen personality. He started with these films, then evolved into an all-around action guy, and audiences loved it.

Righteous Master
There wouldn't even be a Legend of The Drunken Master, if there were no Drunken Master, or as I like to call it, Drunken Monkey in A Tiger's Eye.

This film, (the original), is the personification of a refreshing approach in a different direction, masterfully put together by Ng See Yuen, and Yuen Woo Ping, particulally after the MA film industry was in a nosedive. Just think how may countless copycats came out of the success behind this production. Li Yin Min, Billy Chong, Blackie Ho, Young Wong Yue, John Chiang, and a few others, all attemted to follow in Jackie's footsteps, just as people sought to imitate the success behind Bruce Lee's films. The great thing that separated Jackie from Bruce was he didn't allow himself to be a one dimensional onscreen personality. He started with these films, then evolved into an all-around action guy, and audiences loved it.

Good points Dragon.

Righteous Master

What happened to all of the people on other forum topics who rated Legend of the Drunken Master as their favorite MA film? I heard this so much that I thought for sure that LOTDR would win over the original DM.

will91XingYu

I agree liquid, seeing Felix Wong, Andy Lau and Chin Kar Lok in it made me enjoy it more than the first. The first one does have some of the best training and form scenes ever in my opinion, when Jackie is going through the drunken gods is amazing, also i didn't notice at first but Jackie is doubled by Yuen Biao for some of the moves in that scene.

What happened to all of the people on other forum topics who rated Legend of the Drunken Master as their favorite MA film? I heard this so much that I thought for sure that LOTDR would win over the original DM.

Lol! RM, you're right about that! Those fairweather fans are no where to be found when it's time to support in print. It makes me feel they say somethings just to be either controversial or for shock value, only to start debates/arguements.

:cool:

Thank God Drunken Master 3 is not listed in this, or there will hell fire and fury to pay...just kidding, but that movie was just godawful.

TibetanWhiteCrane
Ive always felt "Drunken Master" was overrated (and a bit annoying). I personally feel that "Snake In The Eagle's Shadow" was a superior old school Jackie flick. And "Drunken Master 2" (aka LODM) is in my mind in the discussion for greatest Kung Fu flick ever made (in its uncut original form, not the cut R1 LODM version). Would'nt even be fair to compare the quality of the two films, DM2 BLOWS DM away in every category imaginable.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I have plenty of love for the old skool, but not blind love!

Righteous Master
Couldn't have said it better myself!

I have plenty of love for the old skool, but not blind love!

This love of mine is not blind man. My eyes have seen all of the MA beauty and splendor diplayed in the original DM. The LOTDM was done far too late. Jackie is one of my all time favorite MA stars, but he was just to old to be convincing as the son living with his father and mother. This film did not feel like a continuation of the story of Wong Fei Hung. It felt more like a "redo" modern film that was trying to recapture to glory of the classic original.