Secret Rivals 1 & 2

Guest teako170

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love that Secret Rivals theme...does anybody know what the theme music is from Heroes Two?...im sure its from a spaghetti western but cant trace it!

Don't know the music on that one. However, a SW fanatic friend of mine has seen it. I can ask him but it sounds like it might be stock tunes, though. But then I thought the INVINCIBLE ARMOR music (and countless others) was stock for years then saw it was the Riz Ortolani main theme for DAY OF ANGER.

GH0STFACEDKILLR

Alright I don't like spending money so I wanted to check with you guys before getting either Secret Rivals 1 or 2. Are they worth getting?

Chinatown Kid

If you like John Liu and HJL then I'd say get them even though the choreography can look a little sloppy at times. Wong Tao looks pretty sharp in his fight scenes too.

The Amazing Psycho Per

I only saw part 1 and it didn't make me want to see part 2. Don't know what your tastes are but it's a little to "old school" for me, meaning not intricate choreo., hesitating movement and some arms swinging around. Poor story, acting, overall cheap looking and I didn't the think the fights were impressive...

Both are good kung fu films. I liked part 2 better because I thought the choreography was sharper. Many feel part 1 is an all time classic. I thought it was merely above average. It would be a tad hipocritical of me to recommend a purchase since I sold both my copies a few years ago. Both are recommended viewing for classic fu fans. Especially if you dig bootwork.

Both worth it if you like classic shapes movies. My versions are dreadful, but were basicly free so..

I liked part 2 the best myself, although Wong Tao is a tad tighter than Tino Wong.

gravedigger666

If you have limited budget,like some others said go for part#2.Part#1 has classic status but it`s not quite that good IMO.Incredible Kung-Fu Mission,Invincible Armour,Eagles Claw and Leg Fighters if you do not have them yet are better buys from independent studio products.Each and every have also wicked kick action.

Hmm am i the only one who thinks (although admittedly overrated) part one is the better one both story and action wise? ::confused:

gravedigger666

Maybe you are only..I admit I enjoyed part1 too but lost it at the end when "fake death" happened.It was so unreal it ruined movie for me.However if you can ignore that,movie still offers quality k-f action.

Well, I liked both Secret Rivals 1 & 2. It was interesting how Don Wang was the Southern Fist yet he had a very nice jumping hook kick. John Liu and HJL were top notch here.

As for the second film, I thought Tino Wong made for a decent replacement for Don Wang, and Yuen Wo-Ping's choreography seemed more top notch than that of the original film, not that I'm saying the original didn't have any good fights, because it did.

So I would get them IMO

The leading actors, Hwang Cheng Li and John Liu, the first is a classic. It also showcases a rare moment featuring Wong Tao's nunchuku expertise. Part II has better fights and seems to be the one I've watched most, but don't pass them by, a nice piece of history for your collection.

:cool:

To any self-respecting old skool fan I would say its obvious that 2 is far superior to 1. Sure the story's pish but the constant action is totally thrilling and near enough up there with the best of the late 70's stuff

Chinatown Kid

I liked Invincible Armour better than both Secret Rivals 1 and 2. The production seemed classier as well as the fights.

oldeschool17
I liked Invincible Armour better that both Secret Rivals 1 and 2. The production seemed classier as well as the fights.

I liked Invincible Armour way better than both combined. The story and dubbing didnt do it for me at all for any of the secret rivals movies. To be honest, i think both secret rivals are overrated

Invincible Armor is a better film, and the Kung Fu action is superior as well. The one thing about the SR I & II films is the introduction of taking TWO heroes to defeat ONE villian, who was unbeatable, if he faced off against either, one on one. That formula got milked to the extreme in future films, and we all were better for it.

:D

Archived