Upcoming English-friendly GERMAN DVDs & Blu-Rays

ChillyChong

It appears Cheetah on fire&Angel Enforcers are delayed by 2 weeks. Too bad but hopefully no more postponings. Really looking forward to see Cheetah 1st time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DiP said:

Shamrock just announced that they will release Black Mask later this year or early next year. More details coming soon.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid026YGNQqz9S5UmE7KUkfRabPUhcsezRbZF2SJqRZMK7oKhxVgqTQquMtWNXKZx4jjol&id=100063443060554&sfnsn=mo

I wonder how this will stack up against the TVP release from a few years ago. The TVP had both the uncut and extended versions of the movie.

7 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I wonder how this will stack up against the TVP release from a few years ago. The TVP had both the uncut and extended versions of the movie.

I personally asked Shamrock about the print they're gonna use, and they confirmed that it's a new restoration. I've looked at comparisons between previous releases, dvd and bluray, and they all look subpar to me. The US bluray is the best to date but it's not saying alot. Shamrock's release is great news!

• Like 2

That German blu ray of Avenging Eagle turned into a complete waste of time about a quarter of the way in. Just after Ti Lung collapsed next to the tree, the scene after that, the English subs are major out of sync.

That pissed me off no end. I won't bother buying another German release, I can tell you that! I'll just fix it for myself - whenever I have time.

I feel for the German's though as their subs don't show up at all!

• Confused 1

Drunken Monk
2 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

That German blu ray of Avenging Eagle turned into a complete waste of time about a quarter of the way in. Just after Ti Lung collapsed next to the tree, the scene after that, the English subs are major out of sync.

I’ll revisit it because I didn’t notice this first time around. I’m not saying you’re wrong (most likely I wasn’t paying attention), but I’ll be miffed if that’s the case.

• Like 1

Just now, Drunken Monk said:

I’ll revisit it because I didn’t notice this first time around. I’m not saying you’re wrong (most likely I wasn’t paying attention), but I’ll be miffed if that’s the case.

Let me know please. I'll be a waste of time sending it back to Germany as getting a replacement might be a waste of time.

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

It happens at the 27 min mark till the end of the film, and I lost complete interest after that and ejected my disc @Drunken Monk

Edited by Yggdrasil

23 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

It happens at the 27 min mark till the end of the film, and I lost complete interest after that and ejected my disc @Drunken Monk

Could be that this is in Cantonese and not mandarin that way it would be subbed slightly differently I often find this when I’m switching audio tracks between Mandarin and Cantonese that one is delayed or late with the subtitles 

37 minutes ago, Graysman said:

Could be that this is in Cantonese and not mandarin that way it would be subbed slightly differently I often find this when I’m switching audio tracks between Mandarin and Cantonese that one is delayed or late with the subtitles 

True. I found that out with Intruder, the Cat 3 film. But Avenging Eagle only has Cantonese and German and it was fine before 27 mins. Sure broken English for the most part, but in sync, then out of sync until the rest of the film.

With two audio tracks, if the main one is in Canto, and the dubbed one is in Mando, there's usually extra audio lines not present in the original. This would account for the subs out of sync.

It happened for me when watching - Witch with Flying Head.

I looked at reviews on Amazon UK and translated this German review. At least I know my copy is the same as his, no other subs other than English.

Screenshot_20230722_195129_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Edited by Yggdrasil

9 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

That pissed me off no end. I won't bother buying another German release, I can tell you that! I'll just fix it for myself - whenever I have time.

I feel for the German's though as their subs don't show up at all!

6 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I didn't notice this either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yggdrasil said:

So at 27min and onwards, your subs are in sync @ShawAngela?

Well, at least, I don't remember that they were out of synchornization. If it had been the case and all along the movie or almost all along the movie, I would have noticed it and became as mad as you about it !

Drunken Monk
4 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Well, at least, I don't remember that they were out of synchornization. If it had been the case and all along the movie or almost all along the movie, I would have noticed it and became as mad as you about it !

That’s what I thought. I watched the whole thing and didn’t notice. I’m going to see if I can fast forward it to 28 minutes tomorrow to see if I notice it this time around. Could be that I’m just oblivious.

5 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

So at 27min and onwards, your subs are in sync @ShawAngela?

You're right about the subs going out of sync. The issue is right around that 27:11 mark when Ti Lung is rescued by Shih Szu & taken back to her brother Wang An's house after he collapses in the forest but they seem to be okay for the most part the rest of the movie. It didn't really bother me much other than that specific sequence. There is also a scene where Fu Sheng's dialog is completely missing subs and perhaps the most egregious is the lack of German subs! I thought there would be more of an uproar among the Germans who bought this but perhaps they prefer watching it with the German dub?

IMO, it's not worth sending back as I doubt filmArt will be bothered to correct that small sequence or issue a replacement disc unless it's for the missing German subs. I prefer watching this in Mandarin anyway and I'm sure a remux will be available with the Mandarin audio soon.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

You're right about the subs going out of sync. The issue is right around that 27:11 mark when Ti Lung is rescued by Shih Szu & taken back to her brother Wang An's house after he collapses in the forest but they seem to be okay for the most part the rest of the movie. It didn't really bother me much other than that specific sequence. There is also a scene where Fu Sheng's dialog is completely missing subs and perhaps the most egregious is the lack of German subs! I thought there would be more of an uproar among the Germans who bought this but perhaps they prefer watching it with the German dub?

IMO, it's not worth sending back as I doubt filmArt will be bothered to correct that small sequence or issue a replacement disc unless it's for the missing German subs. I prefer watching this in Mandarin anyway and I'm sure a remux will be available with the Mandarin audio soon.

Thanks very much for the clarification @Yihetuan. I was getting rather paranoid that everyone else's copy was working fine while mine was just from a dummy batch.

22 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

Thanks very much for the clarification @Yihetuan. I was getting rather paranoid that everyone else's copy was working fine while mine was just from a dummy batch.

Yes, better to watch it in Mandarin and just leave that short restored fight scene in Canto if that part had any dialog? I can't remember if it was just an action sequence or if they did talk any?

2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Yes, better to watch it in Mandarin and just leave that short restored fight scene in Canto if that part had any dialog? I can't remember if it was just an action sequence or if they did talk any?

Well I opened it up in sub edit. The German sub are there, but they've only been translated from 30 mins onwards,

I popped the file into gMKVExtractGU and I saw two Chinese audio tracks, but both are in Cantonese. I wonder if they didn't notice the difference between the two. 

As for the English subs on mine, the vertical light blue line in picture 1, the waveform shows where the subs should start. In picture 2, the subtitles start a couple of seconds before the audio. Again the light blue line in picture 2, show you where "I should flee to escape death" is meant to start.

eagle.JPG.fd6cf8858c41aed13e0aa1b1d6c9481b.JPG 

eagle 2.JPG

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 4

Well, like I suspected, the Canto version had extra lines added in during those scenes where I uploaded the pictures. Probably more, but haven't continued to watch it.

You'll always get extra lines in a dubbed film as it's easy to do if theres no characters facing the camera, otherwise you'll see their lips not moving.

The scene with the birds are chirping in the cage, there's still Canto there, but in the Mando version, there's no audio.

Same would be for where Jiang is introducing his family. In the Canto version, he just says this is my mother, [Aunty], wife [Madam], daughter.

The missing audio is the Canto version is the words in the brackets.

So Filmart cocked up big time!

Edited by Yggdrasil

2 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Well, like I suspected, the Canto version had extra lines added in during those scenes where I uploaded the pictures. Probably more, but haven't continued to watch it.

You'll always get extra lines in a dubbed film as it's easy to do if theres no characters facing the camera, otherwise you'll see their lips not moving.

The scene with the birds are chirping in the cage, there's still Canto there, but in the Mando version, there's no audio.

Same would be for where Jiang is introducing his family. In the Canto version, he just says this is my mother, [Aunty], wife [Madam], daughter.

The missing audio is the Canto version is the words in the brackets.

So Filmart cocked up big time!

The best solution is to add the Mandarin audio and that would offset the sync issues and but of course there is no Mandarin audio for the restored cut scene but I don't believe there is any dialogue spoken there anyway. This is what filmArt should've done in the first place and the same with Ten Tigers from Kwangtung.

• Like 2

‘Cheetah on Fire’ and ‘Queen’s High’ will both have newly remastered English subtitles (retranslated from Cantonese and other relevant languages).

Edited by chen lung
  • Like 2

Capelight will be releasing the JCVD film, Death Warrant in a standard blu ray edition on October 13. This is will have all the bonus content of the mediabook sans the dvd & booklet. English friendly of course.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0CCGM3WP1?ie=UTF8&tag=bdde-110-100-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=1638&creative=6742&creativeASIN=B0CCGM3WP1

4042564214857.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/22/2023 at 12:17 AM, DiP said:

356196859_690582476399848_8607346332181856992_n.jpg

The texts on the left and right page are identical :wondering

Edited by Kevin Chan
  • Haha 1

Oh no. Have this on pre-order.

Don't think that there will gonna be a replacement with the text corrected, isn't it?