Upcoming English-friendly GERMAN DVDs & Blu-Rays

Killer Meteor
14 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

That's what we thought about the The Sword too until @spannick confirmed it was a new HD scan. But knowing the provenance of the film prints of MotFG especially in light of what Greg Hatanaka said about the subject, it seems highly unlikely. Considering the price is going to be less than $25 shipped, I might take a gamble just for the novelty of owning all the releases of this movie.

It seems the shorter 80min version of MOTFG has survived in good nick.

The problem of course remains the music issues.

• Like 3

• Administrator
14 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

But knowing the provenance of the film prints of MotFG especially in light of what Greg Hatanaka said about the subject, it seems highly unlikely.

8 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I'm wondering about the music rights issue too.

6 hours ago, Jochem said:

The forthcoming ‘Beach Of The War Gods’ Blu-Ray could imply that Boutiques are willing to cough up extra Jimmy Wang Yu stuff.

Exactly @Yihetuan.

@Jochem the main issue is the lack of original materials, not licensing fees (though who knows how that might play out). From what I've heard, all 35mm prints of the film are in bad shape and each are missing at least some footage due to damage. I'm trying to recall how the print I saw at the An Evening with Jimmy Wang Yu event in NYC looked, but I was distracted by the fact that The Man himself was sitting about ten feet away from me at the time. There's always a slim chance that someone has a good print somewhere, somehow. But it's... again, unlikely. And another huge spanner in the works is that the band Neu! not okay with their music being used prominently (and perfectly IMO) for the film's soundtrack without their permission.

I'm also aware of a plethora of blatant, unlicensed Blu-ray releases in Germany, so my suspicion is that this is the case here. Though it's only unsubstantiated conjecture on my part based on the available info. If a company were going to make a cash-grab with a bootleg release, no doubt this is a solid title to do it with. It's already getting a lot of attention among the fans.

All that being said, as I mentioned previously, I hope that it is an awesome, legit release. That would be a cause for celebration.

• Like 2

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Killer Meteor said:

It seems the shorter 80min version of MOTFG has survived in good nick.

The problem of course remains the music issues.

Ah, that's good news at least.

But, yeah... :sad: That soundtrack is iconic to me and most fans, and the film just wouldn't be the same with replacement music.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

And another huge spanner in the works is that the band Neu! not okay with their music being used prominently (and perfectly IMO) for the film's soundtrack without their permission.

Eureka! has released One-Armed Boxer, including the OST of Shaft. This is maybe a hopeless argument or encouraging.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
23 minutes ago, Jochem said:

Eureka! has released One-Armed Boxer, including the OST of Shaft. This is maybe a hopeless argument or encouraging.

My understanding is that Neu! found out around 2004 in the aftermath of Kill Bill and basically issued a cease and desisit.

Maybe Tarentino needs to chuck some money at this?

53 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

Maybe Tarantino needs to chuck some money at this?

More than once did he speak about his affection for the flick, and to my knowledge, he is about to step into the competition of restoring Blu Rays as he did some decades ago through his company called ‘Rolling Thunder.’ 

These German mediabook releases have been coming hard and heavy, so apologies if someone already posted this info but David Lai's HEAVEN AND EARTH is coming in June. The amazon.de listing says it's English friendly. Two different covers.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0BRJRT3MP?ie=UTF8&tag=bdde-110-100-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=1638&creative=6742&creativeASIN=B0BRJRT3MP

Screenshot_2023-01-05 HARD GAME 2 - Cover A - Blu-ray (+DVD) [Blu-ray] Amazon de David Lai, Andy Lau, Cherie Chan, Damian L[...].png

Screenshot_2023-01-05 HARD GAME 2 - Cover B - Blu-ray (+DVD) [Blu-ray] Amazon de David Lai, Andy Lau, Cherie Chan, Damian L[...].jpg

• Like 2

On 9/1/2022 at 5:57 PM, Yihetuan said:

Here's the alternate covers for Canton Iron Kung Fu. I definitely prefer Cover A and the one I will end up purchasing. The street date for release is October 5th.

die-blutigen-krallen-des-leoparden-limited-mediabook-edition-cover-a.jpg

die-blutigen-krallen-des-leoparden-limited-mediabook-edition-cover-c.jpg

This has also been released in a standalone version for those not interested in the mediabook (such as myself) or have no need for the DVD. Much cheaper too!

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B0BHG13LQ9/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3QA9RE9UBS77I&keywords=die+blutigen+krallen+des+leoparden&qid=1672946244&s=dvd&sprefix=die+blutigen%2Cdvd%2C267&sr=1-1

Screenshot_2023-01-05 Die blutigen Krallen des Leoparden [Blu-ray] Amazon de DVD Blu-ray.png

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

This has also been released in a standalone version for those not interested in the mediabook (such as myself) or have no need for the DVD. Much cheaper too!

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B0BHG13LQ9/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3QA9RE9UBS77I&keywords=die+blutigen+krallen+des+leoparden&qid=1672946244&s=dvd&sprefix=die+blutigen%2Cdvd%2C267&sr=1-1

Screenshot_2023-01-05 Die blutigen Krallen des Leoparden [Blu-ray] Amazon de DVD Blu-ray.png

i've literally just watched this, the keepcase version. As expected,same print as the HD web that's been streaming on Amazon, looks quite good, english dub. Extras there's a photo gallery and a trailer.Disc is locked to Region B.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 5

thundered mantis
On 1/5/2023 at 8:19 PM, Yihetuan said:

This one had slipped under my radar. Thank you, it's coming home! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

FYI, this is not English friendly despite what blu-ray.com lists in the specs. Still a pretty decent action/revenge movie and you really don't need subs to follow the plot.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Break-Through-the-Line-of-Fire-Blu-ray/323130/

71DX4v1QR5L._SL1200_.jpg

There's English subs on subscene if anyone wants it, so no biggy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

There's English subs on subscene if anyone wants it, so no biggy.

Yep, I just sideloaded the subs on a flash drive and was able to watch it without the need to rip the file and add the subs. It works on Oppo players but I'm not sure if other blu ray players have this functionality?

Screenshot_2023-01-07 Playing Subtitles on Discs Without Them - criterionforum org.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

Yep, I just sideloaded the subs on a flash drive and was able to watch it without the need to rip the file and add the subs. It works on Oppo players but I'm not sure if other blu ray players have this functionality?

Screenshot_2023-01-07 Playing Subtitles on Discs Without Them - criterionforum org.png

Oh, that's a handy feature. 

• Like 1

RebelIntruder

Been about 5 months since the last Schroeder-media/Asia Line release.  Previously they were releasing every 1-2 months.  I assume they're out of the game now?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/11/2023 at 2:54 PM, RebelIntruder said:

Been about 5 months since the last Schroeder-media/Asia Line release.  Previously they were releasing every 1-2 months.  I assume they're out of the game now?

looks like the line is done.Even Schroeder's non-asia line releases, they've got nothing coming beyond this week on their website.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2022 at 8:09 PM, saltysam said:

American Shaolin

amersh.jpg

Apparently this is now out and to be avoided.looks like taken from a VHS master.

• Like 5

TibetanWhiteCrane
4 hours ago, saltysam said:

Apparently this is now out and to be avoided.looks like taken from a VHS master.

Lol... pathetic. The final nail in the coffin. Good riddance.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 2:40 PM, saltysam said:

I can second this. Just got mine yesterday and will be seeking a refund tomorrow! This is the WORST release I own (and very soon will not own). One of my favorite 90s martial arts flicks and it can't even get a proper release, SMDH

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Master with OK Fingers
On 1/20/2023 at 7:40 PM, saltysam said:

Thanks for the heads up. I was definitely going to order this.

Sorry if I'm spamming over the American Shaolin release. I do not see anyone on Amazon or any other site showing how inferior the quality is. I figured I'd provide screencaps. First screenshot is from an old DVD while the second screenshot is from this "new Blu Ray" release. It's honestly weird how the Blu Ray looks like an upscale of a VHS lol

a1.png

b1.png

a2.png

b2.png

a3.png

b3.png

a4.png

b4.png

a5.png

b5.png

a6.png

b6.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Judging by the screenshots, I'm not sure if the Blu-ray is really VHS sourced. I think in the current day and age, people tend to attribute "VHS" to anything that looks analogue and standard definition.

It is absolutely truthfully analogue sourced, though. Maybe one of these old TV tapes, that's kind of how it looks.

I could be wrong, though, as all I've seen is the screenshots. Thanks for those, btw!

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
16 hours ago, Ah_Tao said:

Sorry if I'm spamming over the American Shaolin release. I do not see anyone on Amazon or any other site showing how inferior the quality is. I figured I'd provide screencaps. First screenshot is from an old DVD while the second screenshot is from this "new Blu Ray" release. It's honestly weird how the Blu Ray looks like an upscale of a VHS lol

a1.png

b1.png

a2.png

b2.png

a3.png

b3.png

a4.png

b4.png

a5.png

b5.png

a6.png

b6.png

That looks worse than my DVD. They should be ashamed of themselves putting this smeared shit on Blu.

• Like 2

Tokyo Gore Police coming out later this spring as a limited edition mediabook. Going to come with a bonus disc, CD soundtrack, booklet with rare photos. Also Anatomica Extinction will be included. Audio and subtitle options TBD.

Spoiler

0QzaxgK.jpg

• Like 2