Upcoming English-friendly GERMAN DVDs & Blu-Rays

36 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

I doubt there will be any difference. The other release was said to be a bootleg but I don't know? It will include the POF commentary as a supplement like the 2018 release but the POF guys never officially approved it, so it's probably being used without their permission.

http://podcastonfire.com/2010/03/commentary-on-fire-enter-the-fat-dragon/

Wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm fine with what I got. I ripped the movie myself, fixed the subs, with other grammar errors and encoded it back to BDMV. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 8:53 AM, Super Ninja said:

Another welcome German release, German and English audio, German subtitles. 

image.png.94cb48a1c9ca475f29d797af9faa514b.png

@Super Ninja, did you ever pick up this release? I was thinking of getting it myself. If so, how was the movie? Worth it?

On 12/19/2022 at 8:41 PM, Yggdrasil said:

Hopefully they fixed the English spelling errors and not copied straight from the hard sub. One scene in the restaurant kitchen, instead of using a capital W, they used \N instead which is just laughable.

I'm starting to get the feeling the Germans are doing this just for the money. They really should start properly licensing these releases and invest in QC. Also, investing some effort in the extras would be nice as well.

22 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I doubt there will be any difference. The other release was said to be a bootleg but I don't know? It will include the POF commentary as a supplement like the 2018 release but the POF guys never officially approved it, so it's probably being used without their permission.

http://podcastonfire.com/2010/03/commentary-on-fire-enter-the-fat-dragon/

I did not know that, damn.

21 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

@Super Ninja, did you ever pick up this release? I was thinking of getting it myself. If so, how was the movie? Worth it?

No. Still have it on my list, but I was thinking about waiting till January with new orders. A friend advised me against purchasing round X-Mas, said it's way easier for my order to get lost in the mail.

Judging by @One Armed Boxer's review, it's not exactly worth it, but I was thinking of buying nonetheless, if nothing in hope of supporting MC guys. If I buy it before you, I'll share my thoughts about the movie and the release here.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
On 12/20/2022 at 9:59 AM, Yihetuan said:

If so, how was the movie? Worth it?

Just a heads up that there’s a dedicated thread for this one here -

• Like 4

Not sure if true but have heard that most of the german mediabooks aren't really legit. From what ive seen in the horror genre, the german mediabooks are generally very limited (couple of hundred at most print runs) and also sold under the counter as german censorship laws are very strict. Not sure of this translates to martial arts mediabooks as well but it seems consistent that its just fly by night underground releasing companies and not big labels like koch that seem to do the mediabooks. I could be talking pish though cos iv been away from collecting for a while and only pick up the odd ones here and there.

On 11/9/2022 at 7:20 PM, saltysam said:

d1.png

d2.png

d3.png

d4.png

d5.png

d6.png

d7.png

d8.png

d9.png

d10.png

Oh. Never heard of this film but I see there's Thai script in these photos. Is it like Kickboxer? Western actors with Chinese in small parts or Westerners playing small roles in a large Chinese cast film. Set & made in Thailand too?

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 2:11 AM, Yihetuan said:

Ryuhei Kitamura's Versus is getting a limited mediabook (2 blu rays + 2 dvds) release. English friendly, two covers, booklet, mini-poster, photo cards and out Dec 2.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0BLR59YKJ?ie=UTF8&tag=bdde-110-100-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=1638&creative=6742&creativeASIN=B0BLR59YKJ

61mwHzxYyPL.jpg

612D94PgnLL.jpg

Bollocks! That cover looks mint. And in English too! Unfortunately I have the Arrow blu ray otherwise I would of got that instead.

• Like 1

King Hu's The Fate of Lee Khan is getting a blu ray release with a street date of April 14 from TG Visiongate. Two covers and limited to 500 copies with a 16 pg booklet. Audio and sub options TBD.

der-letzte-kampf-des-lee-khan-2k-remastered-cover-a.jpg

der-letzte-kampf-des-lee-khan-2k-remastered-cover-b.jpg

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Oh. Never heard of this film but I see there's Thai script in these photos. Is it like Kickboxer? Western actors with Chinese in small parts or Westerners playing small roles in a large Chinese cast film. Set & made in Thailand too?

This is Death Cage. No reason to get this over the cheaper R1 Image Ent dvd as the picture quality appears to be the same but the German does have an interview with Joe Lewis. Yes, the Western actors (Toby Russell, Steve Tartalia, John Ledalski, etc) are featured prominently as the villains. You can watch it here with Russian voiceover to get a feel if it's for you.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

This is Death Cage. No reason to get this over the cheaper R1 Image Ent dvd as the picture quality appears to be the same but the German does have an interview with Joe Lewis. Yes, the Western actors (Toby Russell, Steve Tartalia, John Ledalski, etc) are featured prominently as the villains. You can watch it here with Russian voiceover to get a feel if it's for you.

Thanks. I saw the trailer. I wouldn't be missing much So I'll give it a wide berth. 

40 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

Tsui Hark's A Better Tomorrow III: Love and Death in Saigon is getting a mediabook release in June. Audio and sub options TBD.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0BQ9GG78C?ie=UTF8&tag=bdde-110-100-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=1638&creative=6742&creativeASIN=B0BQ9GG78C

A_Better_Tomorrow_III_Galerie_Mediabook_Cover_A.jpg

I'd prefer Tsui Hark - The Blade in all honesty. Has that ever been released in better quality than the Chinese HD rips.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

King Hu's The Fate of Lee Khan is getting a blu ray release with a street date of April 14 from TG Visiongate. Two covers and limited to 500 copies with a 16 pg booklet. Audio and sub options TBD.

der-letzte-kampf-des-lee-khan-2k-remastered-cover-a.jpg

der-letzte-kampf-des-lee-khan-2k-remastered-cover-b.jpg

Wow ! I love this second cover ! These colours are beautiful !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

Now that you mentioned that interview...

I got the German release instead of the IE DVD and have watched that interview. It's one strange interview. Joe calls his interviewer George (Tan?) and the two mostly talk about Bruce Lee. It feels as though that interview was never meant to be shared in this, unedited form, as George makes Joe create a context for his answers, Joe throws in an occasional dick joke and Bruce Lee is called a racist, you could call this a joke I guess. It's not enough of a reason to get this release, but this is one interesting interview that actually made me appreciate Joe Lewis more than the movie itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

I'd prefer Tsui Hark - The Blade in all honesty. Has that ever been released in better quality than the Chinese HD rips.

I saw that Chinese rip and it's not HD if it's the same WEB-DL. The quality is not great and the WEB-DL peaks at 7500 kbps and that file is nowhere close. I think the best that I've seen is the French HK Video 2 disc set with custom English subs.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

I saw that Chinese rip and it's not HD if it's the same WEB-DL. The quality is not great and the WEB-DL peaks at 7500 kbps and that file is nowhere close. I think the best that I've seen is the French HK Video 2 disc set with custom English subs.

Oh! There's a French one?! Is it still available or out of print? I just love that movie. The ending fight scenes just made my jaw drop when I watched it all those years ago. Is the French version a DVD or remastered blu ray? 

16717531110363646799157291712931.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

Oh! There's a French one?! Is it still available or out of print? I just love that movie. The ending fight scenes just made my jaw drop when I watched it all those years ago. Is the French version a DVD or remastered blu ray? 

16717531110363646799157291712931.jpg

It's long OOP. yes, it's a dvd. It had a nice anamorphic widescreen picture with Cantonese mono audio. I remember buying a custom version of that years ago. It's still available on the used market but it's going for crazy prices.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

It's long OOP. yes, it's a dvd. It had a nice anamorphic widescreen picture with Cantonese mono audio. I remember buying a custom version of that years ago. It's still available on the used market but it's going for crazy prices.

I'll stick with what I've got thanks. I need to fix the subs anyway. I'm a stickler when there's missing full stops.

On 12/20/2022 at 9:53 PM, Super Ninja said:

I'm starting to get the feeling the Germans are doing this just for the money. They really should start properly licensing these releases and invest in QC. Also, investing some effort in the extras would be nice as well.

I think most German labels do actually care about these movies but for my perspective are exploiting the demand as much as they can. A lot of shady things going on there and the prices for some of these are definitely not justified IMO.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 10:11 AM, Yihetuan said:

Tsui Hark's A Better Tomorrow III: Love and Death in Saigon is getting a mediabook release in June. Audio and sub options TBD.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0BQ9GG78C?ie=UTF8&tag=bdde-110-100-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=1638&creative=6742&creativeASIN=B0BQ9GG78C

According to Cargo, This has been confirmed to have English subs with possibility of English dub.

Screenshot_2022-12-23 Mail - James Harding - Outlook.png

• Like 3

On 12/22/2022 at 8:11 PM, Yihetuan said:

I think this is bit underrated,And best end theme song ever

• Like 4

thundered mantis
On 11/4/2022 at 12:44 PM, Yihetuan said:

Top Squad aka Inspector Wears Skirts will be coming to mediabook and released on Feb 24. English audio & subtitles.

Top_Squad_Galerie_Mediabook_Cover_A.jpg

Do we have confirmaton if this one is gonna be real HD? For 35 € is expensive enough for me to blind buy it...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

Do we have confirmaton if this one is gonna be real HD? For 35 € is expensive enough for me to blind buy it...

It says it's from a 2K HD remaster and uncut. You take your chances.

• Like 2

thundered mantis
19 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

It says it's from a 2K HD remaster and uncut. You take your chances.

I want to believe lol, thing is their release of the sword has arose suspicions in me, given that Panorama's an upscale

• Like 3