Upcoming English-friendly GERMAN DVDs & Blu-Rays

On 3/1/2022 at 11:25 AM, saltysam said:

Coming in May, despite the cover it seem the movies are Bruce Lee's Secret with Ho Chung Tao ( a classic) and a Bruce Le movie which i think may be Return Of Bruce. Both DVD Premieres and the Bruce Le title at least is dvertised as having english audio.

bleev2.jpg

yeah, the bonus film is definitely Return of Bruce as the description on amazon.de gives it away. Here is the alternate "B" cover.

71Kszl1AUyL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 4

I've been a bit overfed with Carter Wrong titles recently. I haven't seen Kung Fu Mystagogue and wonder if it is one of his better ones or just average? I'm ranking Born Invincible, Fåtal Flying Guillotine and the Bronzemen films as the better ones 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Django said:

I've been a bit overfed with Carter Wrong titles recently. I haven't seen Kung Fu Mystagogue and wonder if it is one of his better ones or just average? I'm ranking Born Invincible, Fåtal Flying Guillotine and the Bronzemen films as the better ones 

For me, a movie with Hsu Feng, Chang Yi as the most machiavelistic villain and Carter Wong is worth watching, and this one if very good, in my opinion.

Another one that you could watch is The mysterious heroes with Carter Wong and Shang Kuan Ling Fung.

• Like 4

On 1/11/2022 at 1:01 PM, Yihetuan said:

The next release in the Asia Line series is ChaoChow Guy.

Screenshot_2022-01-11 Unser Programm - Schröder Media(1).png

This is out now.Anyone know if it has any english friendly options on it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saltysam said:

What is the bonus film ?

Is there any difference with the other german release of Chiu Chow guy (it seems that there is already one, right ?) ?

• Like 1

thundered mantis

The bonus film is a Lee Yi Min/Lung Fei one, Fierce Among Strong, aka Deadly Kicks in Snake´s Shadow. Haven´t seen it, seems it´s from 1975.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, saltysam said:

The previous eyecatcher release had English subs but I believe only for the limited edition hartbox release which is now OOP. So this might be one of those titles that someone has to bite the bullet and buy to find out.

• Like 1

Chu Liu Hsiang
15 hours ago, saltysam said:

According to the usually reliable ofdb the main movie has Mandarin and German sound, no subs. No info on the bonus movie. I have the bonus movie on a 4 movie box from Paragon where it has German dub only. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

According to the usually reliable ofdb the main movie has Mandarin and German sound, no subs. No info on the bonus movie. I have the bonus movie on a 4 movie box from Paragon where it has German dub only. 

Cheers,doesn't sound hopeful for English options.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

It's not always 100% reliable though. Here's a recent example, the Danny Lee action film, Red Shield is getting a March 11 dvd release from Maritim/Cargo. ofdb says no English subs but several other sources say it will have English subs including Amazon Germany & Saturn.de.

Screenshot_2022-03-07 Red Shield Amazon de Danny Lee, Corey Yuen, Jimmy Shaw, Ben Lam, Teresa Mo, Leung Ka-Yan, Chan Chi-Fa[...].png

• Like 1

This Blu of CUB TIGER FROM KWANG TUNG reportedly has English subtitles for the original version — has anyone picked this up? Anyone know the A/V quality? I watched part of an abominable copy of this film on YouTube and it looks like a perfectly respectable starring debut for 17-year-old Jackie — his likable comic character was there from day one, and the fight choreography is pretty damn good for 1971. Lots of impressive acrobatics too. You can tell he’s headed for great things even here — he’s a naturally charismatic and convincing screen presence, and the camera loves him. And the chemistry between him and Shu Pei Pei is quite sparkly too. By all rights this film should have made him a star right out of the gate. This looks like an unheralded Kung Fu dramedy miniclassic ripe for rediscovery if it can get a release that does it justice. Very interesting how his early career is actually nothing like the popular myth of him starting out as a reluctant Bruce Lee clone in crappy film after crappy film until he finally figured it all out with SNAKE IN THE EAGLE’S SHADOW and DRUNKEN MASTER. Nope. At any rate, I hope this is a decent release — I have the reportedly less-than-stellar Rarescope DVD on the way to me, which I’m guessing is the source for the YouTube upload, though I’m hoping for less pixelation on the actual DVD.

391FCC63-E499-45B6-96C5-E9ED4C93ECD6.jpeg

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang
4 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

It's not always 100% reliable though. Here's a recent example, the Danny Lee action film, Red Shield is getting a March 11 dvd release from Maritim/Cargo. ofdb says no English subs but several other sources say it will have English subs including Amazon Germany & Saturn.de.

I hope they are wrong with that AL release. I just wanted to order it but then found the Eyecatcher limited edition release for less money!

RED SHIELD sure looks interesting, Danny Lee teaming up with Beardy sounds like a winner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WaverBoy said:

This Blu of CUB TIGER FROM KWANG TUNG reportedly has English subtitles for the original version — has anyone picked this up? Anyone know the A/V quality? I watched part of an abominable copy of this film on YouTube and it looks like a perfectly respectable starring debut for 17-year-old Jackie — his likable comic character was there from day one, and the fight choreography is pretty damn good for 1971. Lots of impressive acrobatics too. You can tell he’s headed for great things even here — he’s a naturally charismatic and convincing screen presence, and the camera loves him. And the chemistry between him and Shu Pei Pei is quite sparkly too. By all rights this film should have made him a star right out of the gate. This looks like an unheralded Kung Fu dramedy miniclassic ripe for rediscovery if it can get a release that does it justice. Very interesting how his early career is actually nothing like the popular myth of him starting out as a reluctant Bruce Lee clone in crappy film after crappy film until he finally figured it all out with SNAKE IN THE EAGLE’S SHADOW and DRUNKEN MASTER. Nope. At any rate, I hope this is a decent release — I have the reportedly less-than-stellar Rarescope DVD on the way to me, which I’m guessing is the source for the YouTube upload, though I’m hoping for less pixelation on the actual DVD.

391FCC63-E499-45B6-96C5-E9ED4C93ECD6.jpeg

Just be aware that the Blu-ray contains the "Master with cracked Fingers" Re-Cut. The British Rarescope DVD AFAIK is the only digital release of the original "Cub Tiger from Kwan Tung" cut.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kevin Chan said:

Just be aware that the Blu-ray contains the "Master with cracked Fingers" Re-Cut. The British Rarescope DVD AFAIK is the only digital release of the original "Cub Tiger from Kwan Tung" cut.

DVDCompare says it contains both the original version and the recut:

https://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=52249

• Blu-ray ALL Germany- Steamboat Pictures / Daredo - No cuts - Includes the original 1973 version (85:13) in HD and the 1979 recut version (86:38) in SD.
Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 2

FightingFool
1 hour ago, WaverBoy said:

• Blu-ray ALL Germany- Steamboat Pictures / Daredo - No cuts - Includes the original 1973 version (85:13) in HD and the 1979 recut version (86:38) in SD.

I don`t have br but dvd release by same german company. It definitely does not include this version https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=9246&display_set=eng

And glad about it, used to have rarescope dvd and hated movie. Newly shot footage makes it lot more entertaining. Fight scene at least in end differst might have some other differences too in 2 versions at german dvd. Dvdcompare list content to be about same in german br and dvd tho.

Edited by FightingFool
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, FightingFool said:

I don`t have br but dvd release by same german company. It definitely does not include this version https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=9246&display_set=eng

And glad about it, used to have rarescope dvd and hated movie. Newly shot footage makes it lot more entertaining. Fight scene at least in end differst might have some other differences too in 2 versions at german dvd. Dvdcompare list content to be about same in german br and dvd tho.

Perhaps the Blu-ray includes it then. DVDCompare are usually pretty reliable aren’t they? At any rate, I watched the whole thing tonight, and the original version is far superior to the poorly edited recut IMO.

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 1

FightingFool
6 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

Perhaps the Blu-ray includes it then. DVDCompare are usually pretty reliable aren’t they? At any rate, I watched the whole thing tonight, and the original version is far superior to the poorly edited recut IMO.

It indeed is usually but not 100%. Didn`t find much good in original but am fan of kwong young moon and dean shek was quite funny in later version so was prefer it. Some stuff with simon yuen seemed to be picked from drunken master but can be was mistaken.

Edited by FightingFool
  • Like 1

I watched both of them in Justin Decloux's blu ray, and I prefer by far the original version, which is in Mandarin with English subtitles.

The version with Dean SHek is interesting, but there are too much unrelated scenes coming from nowhere and Tien Feng's and Shu Pei Pei's fates aren't explained at all in the new version, from what I remember.

• Like 1

I have that blu ray and need to check it,been a few years since i watched it. I recall it being true HD but quite waxy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Yes, the German blu-ray does include the original version of CUB TIGER FROM KWANG TUNG as well as the MASTER WITH CRACKED FINGERS version. The original version does have English subtitles and is real HD, but heavily filtered. The MASTER WITH CRACKED FINGERS version is SD. Unfortunately this blu-ray is long out of print. This OFDb entry is correct:

https://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=4467&vid=394500

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Yes, the German blu-ray does include the original version of CUB TIGER FROM KWANG TUNG as well as the MASTER WITH CRACKED FINGERS version. The original version does have English subtitles and is real HD, but heavily filtered. The MASTER WITH CRACKED FINGERS version is SD. Unfortunately this blu-ray is long out of print. This OFDb entry is correct:

Just nabbed one from eBay for $25.78 shipped! Even if it’s filtered it’ll be waaaaaaay better than the Rarescope DVD and will do me until a better version comes along — can’t wait! An integral piece of Jackie’s early career, and a very well done, well-paced film — a much better intro for him than NEW FIST OF FURY, which I like as a Kung Fu film just fine, much better than its rep would lead you to believe, but Jackie is really a guest star in it, with precious little screen time. 

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 3

Ok I'm super confused and surprised. I was sure that the german Blu-ray only contains 2 different versions of the "Master with cracked Fingers" Re-Cut with Dean Shek, Simon Yuen, and the Jackie-Double.

Can you please confirm again that this is not true and it does indeed contain the original "Cub Tiger from Kwan Tung" in HD *and* one of the 2 different versions of the Re-Cut?

And apologies for spreading misinformation!

Edited by Kevin Chan
  • Like 3

i'll be honest, i watched this once a few years ago and all i can remember is how waxy it looked despite being HD.How would i tell if it's the original,i'm not that familar with the recuts. Can check the disc tomorrow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ronin said:

There will be a new release on Bluray in the near future.

Guy from Germany told me, Filmart is going to release it.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1