Upcoming English-friendly GERMAN DVDs & Blu-Rays

1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

This should definitely have a disclaimer as a "do not buy" especially at the price they are charging for the mediabook. I agree about the picture. it's one of the worst restored blu rays I've seen in terms of contrast or lack thereof. If anyone has the old Crash Cinema dvd than don't bother to upgrade to this crap.

too late for me :devil

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So for anyone interested in the German blu ray of Shaolin Kung Fu aka Kung Fu - 10 Finger aus Stahl, I can confirm it has English subs even though it's not listed on the specs. It also includes a Mandarin audio option as well. Although I'm sure most will wait for the Eureka Joseph Kuo blu ray box set to get this film.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Kung-Fu-10-Finger-aus-Stahl-Blu-ray/292834/

Here's a screenshot:

vlcsnap-2021-09-26-16h48m16s056.jpg

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 5

On 9/27/2021 at 12:53 AM, Yihetuan said:

So for anyone interested in the German blu ray of Shaolin Kung Fu aka Kung Fu - 10 Finger aus Stahl, I can confirm it has English subs even though it's not listed on the specs. It also includes a Mandarin audio option as well. Although I'm sure most will wait for the Eureka Joseph Kuo blu ray box set to get this film.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Kung-Fu-10-Finger-aus-Stahl-Blu-ray/292834/

Here's a screenshot:

vlcsnap-2021-09-26-16h48m16s056.jpg

I have the HK blu ray which also  has an english dub. Imagine this is pretty much a port of that?

• Like 2

• Administrator
On 9/24/2021 at 7:06 PM, Yihetuan said:

This should definitely have a disclaimer as a "do not buy" especially at the price they are charging for the mediabook. I agree about the picture. it's one of the worst restored blu rays I've seen in terms of contrast or lack thereof. If anyone has the old Crash Cinema dvd than don't bother to upgrade to this crap.

The green "zombie" added to the poster art is from ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST (aka. DOCTOR Butcher M.D.).

• Like 7

18 hours ago, saltysam said:

I have the HK blu ray which also  has an english dub. Imagine this is pretty much a port of that?

Looks like it going by memory. The German blu ray also has the English dub not listed in the specs. I have both but didn't do any side to side comparisons in terms of encoding and PQ as I've put the HK disc away in storage and I never ripped it to my NAS. It's all moot since I pre-ordered the Joseph Kuo box set anyway.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 3

On 9/24/2021 at 9:14 PM, spannick said:

yeah it has optional English Subs. But beware, all other German DVDs before do not have any subs. How well translated, no idea. I never bothered to watch it with them, i just tried them out a bit. (dont have the DVD here anymore)

Might hold on that buy then, thanks @spannick. I've watched it dubbed the first time, would love to rewatch it subbed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

This arrived today. 

No English dub! 

Canto, Mand, German dub. 

English subtitles. 

IMG_20210930_174036.jpg

You're right. I just trusted the listed specs at blu-ray.com.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm
9 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

You're right. I just trusted the listed specs at blu-ray.com.

Ive just put the disc on. English dub is available . Thank god!! 

Beautiful transfer too. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

A lot of these German distributors are getting lazy at checking their discs for the right specs! 

It's really a crap shoot with a lot of these releases. I do recall TVP deliberating being vague with the audio/subtitle options on some of their Celestial licensed releases as to not violate the terms of their agreement. But since that benefits us fans who rely on English audio/subs, I can overlook it in their case. :evilgrin

Btw, OT but for anyone interested Arne Venema and Mike Leeder are doing a live stream visiting various HK locations used in movies and a Q & A.

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Anyone know what's the difference between the single disc and two disc version of Ninja Hunter aka Wu Tang vs Ninja besides the hartbox? Both are uncut and have the English dub.

Screenshot_2021-10-13 Alexander Lou -Ninja Hunter -Imperial Pictures Cargo DVD Grooves land Playthek.jpg

Screenshot_2021-10-13 Limited Hartbox Edition -NINJA HUNTER (2 Disc Set) -Retrofilm Cargo DVD Grooves land Playthek.jpg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Anyone know what's the difference between the single disc and two disc version of Ninja Hunter aka Wu Tang vs Ninja besides the hartbox? Both are uncut and have the English dub.

Screenshot_2021-10-13 Alexander Lou -Ninja Hunter -Imperial Pictures Cargo DVD Grooves land Playthek.jpg

Screenshot_2021-10-13 Limited Hartbox Edition -NINJA HUNTER (2 Disc Set) -Retrofilm Cargo DVD Grooves land Playthek.jpg

I gotta get this — just watched the trailer — can you provide a good link to order that will ship to US?

• Like 2

You can try grooves as they offer free international shipping with purchases over $23. This is their big advantage over Amazon.de at the moment.

https://www.grooves-inc.com/alexander-lou-ninja-hunter-version-regio-imperial-pictures-cargo-dvd-pZZa1-2100219791.html

What I want to know is what the 2 disc versions adds and also if it's an improvement over the Japanese print and the Flash Legs version.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 2

Not sure if anyone has posted this already but Cargo is releasing another John Liu film, Fighting Ace. This one is English friendly with the dub. I know Inked Pictures released this a few years back with different cover variations. Comes with a bonus film, Death Duel of Kung Fu but don't believe that will be English friendly. Street date of December 3rd.

Screenshot_2021-10-25 John Liu -Vollstrecker Der Shaolin -MR BANKER FILMS CARGO DVD Grooves land Playthek.jpg

• Like 7

I watched the new German DVD of Fist Of Unicorn earlier, english dub option. The transfer while still not great is much better than the Soulblade DVD, it has inserts from that print to make it uncut (i assume) .Much maligned and under appreciated movie,Bruce's fist of fury has nothing on the Unicorn Palm :laugh

• Like 4

I recently picked up the German dvd of Guns of Dragon aka American Dragon and the remastered anamorphic widescreen German dvd is a major improvement over the HK dvd not only in terms of picture quality but also for the uncut scenes. Has the original Cantonese mono audio with optional English subtitles which are very legible and free of grammatical mistakes. Also includes about 7 minutes of alternate footage taken from the HK print. It's an underrated film in my book with decent heroic bloodshed gunfu action, some goofy comedy, melodrama and some pretty good stunt work barring one glaringly obvious bad CGI job. It's a shame it never got a proper HD release but If you're a fan of this movie, this is the version to pick up.

4059251403968.jpg

4059251403968.1.jpg

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 8

I didn't see this posted anywhere on this thread but the German dvd of the Tsui Hark produced, David Wu directed Spy Games is English friendly. It says German, Cantonese and English audio on the back cover but that's incorrect as it only features German and Canto audio with hardcoded English subs.

Screenshot_2021-11-03 Tsui Hark -Spy Games -Mr Banker Films Cargo DVD Grooves land Playthek.png

4059251402480.jpg

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 3

The German dvd of Tsui Hark's Shanghai Blues is also apparently English friendly. Please note that English subtitles are not listed on the back cover but they are available via the menu.

Screenshot_2021-11-03 Tsui Hark -Shanghai Blues -Mr Banker Films Cargo DVD Grooves land Playthek.jpg

4059251402435.jpg

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 4

Just watched the new Blu/DVD Combo mediabook of Bruce Lee We Miss You. Advertised as from a 2k scan, print looks decent in general but suffers from a lot of what i would call "pulsing" like someone flashing a light on the print. Could be inherent to the source and it does improve as film goes on. I suspect this print is from a VOD ,the chinese credits look new as does the english title Bruce Lee-King Of Karate. Has german, english and Mandarin audio, frustratingly no subtitles,german or english for the mandarin :devil what a missed opportunity. Extra include a home video version (looks like the CMV release), trailers fror Bruceploitation movie. Definitley not a good movie but ideal for me as conniessour of this genre. And of course it has the great Lung Fei !

• Like 4

On 11/7/2021 at 3:02 AM, saltysam said:

Just watched the new Blu/DVD Combo mediabook of Bruce Lee We Miss You. Advertised as from a 2k scan, print looks decent in general but suffers from a lot of what i would call "pulsing" like someone flashing a light on the print. Could be inherent to the source and it does improve as film goes on. I suspect this print is from a VOD ,the chinese credits look new as does the english title Bruce Lee-King Of Karate. Has german, english and Mandarin audio, frustratingly no subtitles,german or english for the mandarin :devil what a missed opportunity. Extra include a home video version (looks like the CMV release), trailers fror Bruceploitation movie. Definitley not a good movie but ideal for me as conniessour of this genre. And of course it has the great Lung Fei !

Do you have a picture of the mediabook you watched, please ?

I mean the cover...

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, saltysam said:

it's pretty steep at around $40 shipped, so kinda disappointing to hear of the issues with the video. I'm on the fence about this one, so i might just stick with the @NoKUNGFUforYU version.

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU

I think people should buy legit releases when they can, but you have to show some effort on these as well, beyond a nicely printed box and bluray disc. I mean mine was $10. It's not the greatest Bruce Li movie, that's for sure.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1