Upcoming English-friendly GERMAN DVDs & Blu-Rays

On 8/6/2021 at 6:14 AM, Yihetuan said:

So TVP put up another "before" and "after" restoration vid for their upcoming English friendly release of Men of the Hour. I vaguely remember this movie. What little I do recall is the weird special effect after someone gets punched where they fly back (it didn't look like a wire pull but rather an optical effect) due to the force of the punch. Anyway, it will be nice to watch this again in HD and fully uncut even if they have to add in VHS footage.

When is this going to be released?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sun Chung said:

When is this going to be released?

I'll post the info here when I get confirmation. I know the next title from TVP is the re-release of New One Armed Swordsman, so it's definitely after that one.

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

So FilmArt announced their next Shaw Brothers blu ray titles after Convict Killer. They are going to be Flag of Iron and The Avenging Eagle. I believe Flag of Iron is going to be released by 88Films in the near future but correct me if I'm wrong about that info.

Screenshot_2021-08-11 (4) filmArt Facebook(1).png

• Like 6

thundered mantis

Yep, Flag of Iron from 88 films has been and is available for pre-order foe some time now.

Avenging Eagle is one of the big ones, nice news! 

• Like 4

No missing minute, no buy!

Wonder if Arrow will solve any future issues concerning that? Seems like they have solved The Chinatown Kid issue; of course, we will have to wait until the end of the year to see what we are really getting from them.

• Like 2

Ok, so I got my copy of Convict Killer from filmArt today and the sole Chinese audio option is clearly Mandarin. I don't know why they listed Cantonese on the back cover?

Anyone here have their release of Ten Tigers from Kwangtung where it lists Cantonese as the only audio option and it turned out to be Mandarin? Or is it really Cantonese?

Also, from the list that @spannick put out of licensed filmArt releases with the impending release of both Flag of Iron and Avenging Eagle, it seems that's it for them but on fb, filmArt says more Shaw titles are on the way? Any guesses, which ones?

Boxer from the Temple
Rendezvous with Death
Shaolin Abbot
Magnificent Wanderers
Flag of Iron (licenced to Germany, but unreleased yet: Filmart)
Convict Killer (licenced to Germany, but unreleased yet: Filmart)
Avenging Eagle (licenced to Germany, but unreleased yet: Filmart)
Ten Tigers of Kwangtung (licenced to Germany, but unreleased yet: Filmart)

Bruce Lee & I
The Delinquent
Police Force
Friends
Two Champions of Shaolin
Fighting Fool
Daredevils
Monkey Kung Fu
Five Superfighters
Deadly Breaking Sword
Marco Polo

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

thundered mantis

@Yihetuan that list you quoted is for upcoming german Blu Ray releases? Could you link me to the original post? I mean, daaaamn!! Boxer from the temple, fighting fool, 5 superfighters... It's shapes heaven

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Ok, so I got my copy of Convict Killer from filmArt today and the sole Chinese audio option is clearly Mandarin. I don't know why they listed Cantonese on the back cover?

Anyone here have their release of Ten Tigers from Kwangtung where it lists Cantonese as the only audio option and it turned out to be Mandarin? Or is it really Cantonese?

Also, from the list that @spannick put out of licensed filmArt releases with the impending release of both Flag of Iron and Avenging Eagle, it seems that's it for them but on fb, filmArt says more Shaw titles are on the way? Any guesses, which ones?

Ten Tigers of Kwantung really is in Cantonese. I'm more than happy that Convict killer was in Mandarin !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thundered mantis said:

@Yihetuan that list you quoted is for upcoming german Blu Ray releases? Could you link me to the original post? I mean, daaaamn!! Boxer from the temple, fighting fool, 5 superfighters... It's shapes heaven

Very true !!

• Like 3

thundered mantis

Thank you man. I don´t really understand what he was trying to say there, if that list contains licensed to germany future blu ray shaws or not

• Like 1

Chu Liu Hsiang

It's a list of Shaw movies for which an old German dub exists but which had not been released in Germany at the time the post was made.  The post does not say that all these movies would get a release. 

BRAVE ARCHER and PROUD YOUTH also have old German dubs but no German release yet. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

Thank you man. I don´t really understand what he was trying to say there, if that list contains licensed to germany future blu ray shaws or not

yeah I just wanted to highlight the titles in bold from filmArt in that post from 2019. It took over 2 years but all those 4 are going to be released. I was hoping @spannick would have more info on further Shaw titles acquired by filmArt for release in 2022 and beyond.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2021 at 11:27 AM, saltysam said:

Just watched the New german DVD of Project S entitled Mega Cop and i'm pleased to report this is easily the best version i've come across. Admittedly i've only ever had the USA Dimension and the appalling quality UK DVD's. Despite what Amazon say it doesn't have an english dub, it has cantonese with optional english subtitles and is Anamorphic. Runs 97:32 .

I received this a week ago but finally got around to watching it and it's definitely the best edition extant. If you're a fan of this movie, this is the version to get for sure. My only nitpick is the subs are good but some of the dialog goes missing at times.

• Like 6

I just watched the new German blu ray of Jimmy Wang Yu's Knight Errant. Transfer is reasonably decent, i thought there was some scanner noise but bar the odd scratch print damage was minimal and it is HD. Nice bonus to see mandarin as well as the english dub on there,with english subtitles as an option. Good job by Cargo Records and much better value than their over priced mediabook releases,which usually feature inferior prints to this one.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, saltysam said:

I just watched the new German blu ray of Jimmy Wang Yu's Knight Errant. Transfer is reasonably decent, i thought there was some scanner noise but bar the odd scratch print damage was minimal and it is HD. Nice bonus to see mandarin as well as the english dub on there,with english subtitles as an option. Good job by Cargo Records and much better value than their over priced mediabook releases,which usually feature inferior prints to this one.

saltyman i totaly agree. First i was thinking it is an upscale. But after i compare the Blu with my old pathfinder DVD it looked much better and sharper on the Blu. The grindhouse version of the german cut is also very good. Only downside it is only with the german dub. But we have the remastered version with english and mandarin. The price is for the disc is good too.

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 7/14/2021 at 5:44 AM, saltysam said:

Supposedly has english options..Martial Arts Of Shaolin from Shamrock Media

martialarts.jpg

I went ahead and ordered this media book. I picked the cover @saltysam posted above among the 3 choices. I think it's the best looking of the 3. It is confirmed with English dub plus both Mandarin & Cantonese audio plus English subs.

289726_large.jpg

294992_large.jpg

On 4/26/2021 at 5:33 AM, saltysam said:

Is it decent? Might add it to my next Amazon.de order.

Been going through my list of blu rays/dvds that I have piling up & recently watched this Cargo Records/Imperial Pictures dvd of 99 Cycling Swords aka Lung Wei Village. It comes with 3 versions but the most interesting is the 3rd version which is listed as a "comedy version" and it even has its own separate artwork as a reversible sleeve. The comedy version is the German VHS version titled Lach-Fu Die Kung-Fu Academy which runs 87 mins. I have no idea why this is called the "comedy" fassung as there doesn't seem to much comedy even in this edited cut?

All versions have German, English and Mandarin audio options. The print is decent with some obvious print damage but it's an improvement over the old Hoker and Tai Seng releases just by virtue of it being widescreen.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I went ahead and ordered this media book. I picked the cover @saltysam posted above among the 3 choices. I think it's the best looking of the 3. It is confirmed with English dub plus both Mandarin & Cantonese audio plus English subs.

289726_large.jpg

294992_large.jpg

There are 6 different covers, if I'm not mistaken. If I find again the link where I saw them, I'll try to post them here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

289726_large.jpg

294992_large.jpg

Where did you get it from Yihetuan?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

There are 6 different covers, if I'm not mistaken. If I find again the link where I saw them, I'll try to post them here.

Interesting. The place I ordered from only had 3 cover variants to choose from on their site. Now I'm curious to see the other 3 available covers.

3 hours ago, saltysam said:

Where did you get it from Yihetuan?

I sent a PM.

• Like 2