Upcoming English-friendly GERMAN DVDs & Blu-Rays

40 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

It also seems it's not possible to ship it to the UK when ordering from amazon.de specifically for this title, which is weird considering I purchased both TVP's 'Lethal Panther' and 'The Man from Holland' releases from there not so long ago and there was no issue!

Since Brexit this happens a lot on pre-orders.It will become available to purchase either shortly before release or just after.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, saltysam said:

Since Brexit this happens a lot on pre-orders.It will become available to purchase either shortly before release or just after.

Thanks @saltysam, I'd hoped as much since the other titles I had in my basket didn't have any issue. Shall check back closer to the release date!

• Like 3

Today i receive the double feature Blu of Snake in the Monkey's Shadow and The Four Invincible. On the disc is the german cinema version of both movies and the uncut version with inserts for both. The cinema version are very sharp and have nice graine as i expect from good scans of 35 mm reels. Contrast and brightness are very good too.  Both looks very nice on my 65 inch 4K TV. The uncut versions are very sharp too but they have DNR. As extra there are slideshows with the german loobycards and trailers. All in all a very good realease. English dub is on board.

The second one is the Blu with Dumb Ox and Mission for the Dragon ( Bruce Lee's Way of Kung Fu ). Dumb Ox is very sharp, brightness contrast are good and the picture has minor dots and stripes. The scan comes from not much played 35mm reels. Mission comes from a beat up print but is very sharp and the colors are strong. It looks much better as on the german DVD. On the disc is as an extra slideshows and trailers. Here too both movies never looked better.

I recommend both Blu Rays for the chopsockey collector.

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

21 minutes ago, kuenfist said:

Today i receive the double feature Blu of Snake in the Monkey's Shadow and The Four Invincible. On the disc is the german cinema version of both movies and the uncut version with inserts for both. The cinema version are very sharp and have nice graine as i expect from good scans of 35 mm reels. Contrast and brightness are very good too.  Both looks very nice on my 65 inch 4K TV. The uncut versions are very sharp too but they have DNR. As extra there are slideshows with the german loobycards and trailers. All in all a very good realease. English dub is on board.

The second one is the Blu with Dumb Ox and Mission for the Dragon ( Bruce Lee's Way of Kung Fu ). Dumb Ox is very sharp, brightness contrast are good and the picture has minor dots and stripes. The scan comes from not much played 35mm reels. Mission comes from a beat up print but is very sharp and the colors are strong. It looks much better as on the german DVD. On the disc is as an extra slideshows and trailers. Here too both movies never looked better.

My blu of Snake and Four Invincible should be with me in the next day or two. Dumb Ox does look good but Mission For The Dragon does have contrast issues imo,as well as a beat up print.

• Like 3

thundered mantis

I received both Snake on MS blu and Shaolin Death Squads. Couldn´t still see the SNOMS one, but I am really happy with kuen fist review. It´s  AWESOME NEWS!!!

About SDQ, the Blu is really nice, strong presentation. Real HD, some shots are a bit soft but most of them are sharp, detailed, nice grain, a dramatic improvement over the previous german DVD. Despite the expensive price, I recommend. Very nice booklet and presentation also

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thundered mantis said:

I received both Snake on MS blu and Shaolin Death Squads

Wait ! There is a blu ray release of Shaolin death squads ? The one with Cliff Lok and Shan Kuan Ling Fung ?!

• Like 1

thundered mantis
1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

Wait ! There is a blu ray release of Shaolin death squads ? The one with Cliff Lok and Shan Kuan Ling Fung ?!

1 hour ago, Django said:

Amazon links please! 😁

Sorry everyone. I meant Golden Mask. I was watching SDSquads while I was writing the above post and my poor brains mixed everything

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just watched the new German DVD of the early Brandon Lee effort, Laser Mission and after only seeing this on crappy public domain releases i was surprised to find this DVD looked pretty decent, uncut and widescreen, english audio . Quality lessens for about 30 seconds around the 63 minute mark, i think this was a sequence previously cut in Germany. The film isn't great but as Brandon made so few movies, it's a keeper for me.

laser.jpg

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 3

thundered mantis
On 7/24/2021 at 12:41 PM, kuenfist said:

I have just watched the Snake on Monkey's Shadow german Blu-ray and I agree with @kuenfist. This is an awesome transfer. I enjoyed it inmensely. Totally worth the money, this is a so big quality jump over the DVD. Much better video quality than many other HD transfers what we've seen. 

I know the past and present year have been fully loaded with excellent releases, but I think this one does truly  deserve an special place. I'll explain.

We are so lucky that the big selling classics (Jackie, Sammo) are being treated with the care we never dreamt of. I'me referring to the work by 88 films, Arrow and Eureka mostly. But we also got companies like VCI and the germans (Cargo, TVP) trying to offer classics for the more niche fan, and this is a rare opportunity for us. They usually must cope with inferior prints, not to mention the remastering process.

So, we get to access to a gem like Snake on Monkey's Shadow. To me this film represents perfectly the substance onto which the love of the genre was built for so many fans. Reinterpretation of the big classic films (Drunken Master on this particular case), featuring great performers that played second roles on other films, personal choreography, so nice scenery and a lot of heart, and braveness to break constraints to make for the smaller budgets. Those films, like, say, Snake Deadly Act, Hells Windstaff, Tiger Over Wall, Crystal Fist, Thundering Mantis, Kung Fu on 7 Steps, and many others were so appreciated for the fans for those qualities. And NOW, we have a company that cared to look for a superb print, make an EXCELLENT restauration/transfer work, put an english dub, and insert the snippets they found to give us the closest to uncut version of the film they could find. They could have just transferred and cash in, but no. And we have two films on Blu for the price of one. 

All this boring and too long post just to encourage everyone to buy this release and make them feel our support. If they get good sales figures, they'll be encouraged to continue this way. Did I already said I'm totally enthralled with how good PQ this release shows lol?? Go everyone buy it!

Edited by thundered mantis
  • Like 9

On the Asia Line DVD there's some scenes inserted from VHS, and the Monkey Snake fight is slightly cut. How is the situation regarding this on the Blu?

• Like 1

thundered mantis
20 minutes ago, Django said:

On the Asia Line DVD there's some scenes inserted from VHS, and the Monkey Snake fight is slightly cut. How is the situation regarding this on the Blu?

On the Blu they have two versions of the film, theatrical and extended. The extended is like 1 min or 2 longer, and there are like snippets inserted on inferior quality. Training scenes and the like. On the monkey/snake fight, I do have the old US VHS, but it's like fifteen years that I haven't watched it and it is now stored at a family's place on a different village, so I don't have access to it and don't even know if the old VCR will even work. I do hace the Asia Line DVD, so I'll compare and get back to you... 

• Like 2

The Four Invincibles on the same disc, selecting the longer version means there's a fair view VHS inserts there. The print is very good but i do think some light DNR has been applied.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 12:30 PM, thundered mantis said:

Dunno if it's allowed to post store links, but here we go. Ordered at medienversand.at

https://www.medienversand.at/Shaolin---Eine-Faust-die-toetet---Uncut-Mediabook-Edition---DVD-blu-ray---B---TVP--Deutsch-DVD-blu-ray.html

I have just made a USA try buying and, yes, it's 70 US bucks unfortunately 🤦‍♂️

I finally pulled the trigger on the TVP mediabook of Golden Mask. I picked the "B" cover variant. Got it for $50 via registered mail from my usual Austrian mail order place. Still expensive but beats $70 from Amazon.

On 7/21/2021 at 1:08 PM, saltysam said:

I watched The Dumb Ox from the Eastern Grindhouse Blu Ray.It's a bit soft but print is in much better shape and doesn't have the contrast issues of the Dragon Lee movie. When these were announced a while back the publicity mentioned these were from new 2k scans, that's not mentioned on the packaging,i don't think they are.

Got around to watching the Eastern Grindhouse Vol. 1 and Dumb Ox looks good as you described and the Dragon Lee movie has print damage and other issues but I still prefer it over the Scorching Sun, Fierce Wind, Wild Fire release.

• Like 5

I bought yesterday the TVP Golden Mask Mediabook and it looks great. It is not as as good as i expected but when i watch the before and after remastering extra on the disc, i must say they did a great job. Now it is full widescreen and the colors are more brilliant than ever. The price is ok here in germany for a mediabook (30 Euro).

The second disc i bought is the Convict Killer ( Shaw Brothers ) from FilmArt. The disc comes in a golden amaray with a nice booklet. Picture is stunning and it comes with the cantonese and german audio track. English subs are on the disc too.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I finally pulled the trigger on the TVP mediabook of Golden Mask. I picked the "B" cover variant. Got it for $50 via registered mail from my usual Austrian mail order place. Still expensive but beats $70 from Amazon.

Got around to watching the Eastern Grindhouse Vol. 1 and Dumb Ox looks good as you described and the Dragon Lee movie has print damage and other issues but I still prefer it over the Scorching Sun, Fierce Wind, Wild Fire release.

The Eastern Grindhouse releases are decent value at the price point they are. I do think 30 euro plus for Scorching Sun, Cosa Nostra etc is taking the mickey considering the condition of the transfers.

• Like 4

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 7/24/2021 at 6:41 AM, kuenfist said:

Today i receive the double feature Blu of Snake in the Monkey's Shadow and The Four Invincible...

On 7/24/2021 at 7:05 AM, saltysam said:

My blu of Snake and Four Invincible should be with me in the next day or two. Dumb Ox does look good but Mission For The Dragon does have contrast issues imo,as well as a beat up print.

On 7/28/2021 at 4:50 PM, thundered mantis said:

I have just watched the Snake on Monkey's Shadow german Blu-ray and I agree with @kuenfist. This is an awesome transfer. I enjoyed it inmensely. Totally worth the money, this is a so big quality jump over the DVD. Much better video quality than many other HD transfers what we've seen...

All this boring and too long post just to encourage everyone to buy this release and make them feel our support. If they get good sales figures, they'll be encouraged to continue this way. Did I already said I'm totally enthralled with how good PQ this release shows lol?? Go everyone buy it!

Guys, can you tell me where to order this and possibly provide links? Or tell me the German title so I can look it up? Thanks.

• Like 3

@KUNG FU BOB, I believe you are based here in the US. So grooves offers a much better price on that Eastern Grindhouse Vol. 1 blu ray than Amazon Germany plus free shipping. Here's the link:

https://www.grooves-inc.com/eastern-grindhouse-double-feature-vol-todesschrei-des-panthers-auftrag-der-todeskralle-version-regio-banker-films-cargo-blu-ray-pZZa1-2100238841.html

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

@KUNG FU BOB, I believe you are based here in the US. So grooves offers a much better price on that Eastern Grindhouse Vol. 1 blu ray than Amazon Germany plus free shipping. Here's the link:

https://www.grooves-inc.com/eastern-grindhouse-double-feature-vol-todesschrei-des-panthers-auftrag-der-todeskralle-version-regio-banker-films-cargo-blu-ray-pZZa1-2100238841.html

Thanks mate! Ordered! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Ordered! Thank you!!!!!!! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Like 4

So TVP put up another "before" and "after" restoration vid for their upcoming English friendly release of Men of the Hour. I vaguely remember this movie. What little I do recall is the weird special effect after someone gets punched where they fly back (it didn't look like a wire pull but rather an optical effect) due to the force of the punch. Anyway, it will be nice to watch this again in HD and fully uncut even if they have to add in VHS footage.

• Like 6

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 8/4/2021 at 3:18 PM, saltysam said:

On 8/4/2021 at 9:04 PM, Yihetuan said:

On 8/5/2021 at 12:06 AM, Yihetuan said:

Thanks very much!

• Like 4