Upcoming English-friendly GERMAN DVDs & Blu-Rays

4 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

Isn't that such a dumb restriction?

Or course it is, and because of this, either I buy From elsewhere at a more extensive price, either I'm forced to ask German members Here to help me to buy the titles I want From German sites...

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang
3 minutes ago, wmcguire18 said:

For someone with a very small collection of 4 German Shaw Brothers blus, I must say the releases come so quickly and from so many companies that it is difficult to keep them all straight. It's really wonderful, even if I think at some point I'm going to have to print off labels because I won't be able to keep all the German titles straight in my head.

I stopped encumbering my brain with the mostly silly and/ or embarrasing German titles soon after diving into the genre, I always have to check My List or the interwebs for them. 

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang
4 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Or course it is, and because of this, either I buy From elsewhere at a more extensive price, either I'm forced to ask German members Here to help me to buy the titles I want From German sites...

5 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

Isn't that such a dumb restriction?

It's with good reason we complain it being easier to buy weapons elsewhere than action movies in Germany 

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

thundered mantis

never watched this one. Any good action here?

For the german releases I usually go to amazon.de as I couldn´t, for the life of me, buy anything from ofdb store. Are cheaper places than amazon.de?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

never watched this one. Any good action here?

For the german releases I usually go to amazon.de as I couldn´t, for the life of me, buy anything from ofdb store. Are cheaper places than amazon.de?

Try Grooves Inc, a very large selection and very good prices.

• Like 3

thundered mantis
5 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

Try Grooves Inc, a very large selection and very good prices.

Will do, thank you!

• Like 1

thundered mantis

It´s about 10€ shipping to Spain, how come it´s so expensive to the USA? There must be cheaper shipping options...

BTW, I preordered also The Snake on Monkey Shadow BD combo, hope it´s real HD

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

It´s about 10€ shipping to Spain, how come it´s so expensive to the USA? There must be cheaper shipping options...

BTW, I preordered also The Snake on Monkey Shadow BD combo, hope it´s real HD

can i ask where you pre-order from please thanks

• Like 1

I got Eastern Grindhouse Volume 1 today, which contains Mission For The Dragon & The Dumb Ox. German and english dub options, no original language. Watched Mission For The Dragon, like the Asia Line DVD, an unrestored,rough contrasty print. Certainly lives up to the Grindhouse name. I'd say it's HD but lower your expectations,if you already own the Asia Line DVD this isn't much of an improvement. The good news is, i had a quick look at Dumb Ox and it looked much better.Will watch that tomorrow.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

The Golden Mask media book is up for pre-order on Amazon.de but jeesus, it's going to cost close to $70 to ship to the US. Too rich for my blood.

I've got to draw the line somewhere and that price is crazy.

• Like 1

thundered mantis
3 hours ago, Graysman said:

can i ask where you pre-order from please thanks

Dunno if it's allowed to post store links, but here we go. Ordered at medienversand.at

https://www.medienversand.at/Shaolin---Eine-Faust-die-toetet---Uncut-Mediabook-Edition---DVD-blu-ray---B---TVP--Deutsch-DVD-blu-ray.html

I have just made a USA try buying and, yes, it's 70 US bucks unfortunately 🤦‍♂️

Edited by thundered mantis
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, saltysam said:

I got Eastern Grindhouse Volume 1 today, which contains Mission For The Dragon & The Dumb Ox. German and english dub options, no original language. Watched Mission For The Dragon, like the Asia Line DVD, an unrestored,rough contrasty print. Certainly lives up to the Grindhouse name. I'd say it's HD but lower your expectations,if you already own the Asia Line DVD this isn't much of an improvement. The good news is, i had a quick look at Dumb Ox and it looked much better.Will watch that tomorrow.

Thanks for this info. It's been in my cart at grooves forever. Just made it easy for me to pull the trigger.

• Like 2

thundered mantis
23 hours ago, saltysam said:

If it´s a real HD scan transferred into a BD, it´s good enough for me, surely the detail and colours will be improved at some extent. I will post my impressions here once I receive it. I´d so much love the companies to release the big file scan, that would we heaven (like the infamous Hitman in Hands of Buddha), even if we have to deal with files in the hundred gb...

• Like 1

The Mission For The Dragon print has contrast issues,it's very bright.It's HD but very rough, similar to the Grindhouse double features Dark Force put out in the USA. Dumb Ox looks much better though.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, saltysam said:

The Mission For The Dragon print has contrast issues,it's very bright.It's HD but very rough, similar to the Grindhouse double features Dark Force put out in the USA. Dumb Ox looks much better though.

You just described the recently released mediabook blu ray of Scorching Sun, Fierce Wind, Wild Fire. Same issues with blown out colors, highlights and weak contrast. It's a sideways upgrade over the dvd just by virtue of the higher bit rate and better detail.

• Like 3

FightingFool

D&T is probably most walletwise for foreign buyers and if you do not need title immediately, TVP titles do not go out of stock quickly. Can easily wait something else interesting will be released and buy multiple items at once.

Items are 25€ or 30€, cheaper than amazon even if shipping is more expensive, but like said there will be saving when buy more stuff to same order.

There are likely cheaper shops around who ships abroad but some I found in past did not have english language option and did not bother google translate to same some euros.

waiting now something else appears to join "shaolin kung fu" so can place an order there.

• Like 1

I'm having a wonderful time on Amazon.de because I was so late to the region free party I can catch up with many titles as low as 8 Euros or so.

• Like 2

I watched The Dumb Ox from the Eastern Grindhouse Blu Ray.It's a bit soft but print is in much better shape and doesn't have the contrast issues of the Dragon Lee movie. When these were announced a while back the publicity mentioned these were from new 2k scans, that's not mentioned on the packaging,i don't think they are.

• Like 3

Ohhhhh man! A remastered version of OPERATION PINK FORCE? The heavens have opened! It's not much of a martial arts film, but it is goofy fun in the best Chu Yen-ping kind of way. 

• Like 2

I just watched the new German Mediabook of Cosa Nostra Asia. HD but soft looking ,with some windowboxed inserts. Run time of 79 minutes. More a gangster type movie with some kung fu thrown in, starring Chris Mitchum, it's at times hard to work out who's good and who's bad, but it's watchable. I have to say this isn't no lost classic and at over 30 euros the film doesn't live up to it's price tag. I think cargo records are pushing it at these pricepoints.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, saltysam said:

I just watched the new German Mediabook of Cosa Nostra Asia. HD but soft looking ,with some windowboxed inserts. Run time of 79 minutes. More a gangster type movie with some kung fu thrown in, starring Chris Mitchum, it's at times hard to work out who's good and who's bad, but it's watchable. I have to say this isn't no lost classic and at over 30 euros the film doesn't live up to it's price tag. I think cargo records are pushing it at these pricepoints.

I also watched this fairly recently and agree about the PQ. It's soft but better than the other Cargo Records releases that were mentioned earlier. The plot is stupid and Chris Mitchum as the 'hero' crime fighter is laughable at best (he just comes across as goofy with little screen charisma) but he's actually watchable in his fight scenes. The fight choreo consists of basic block and punch techniques with some kicks thrown in for good measure and of course, the pulling of punches is a bit obvious at times but at least they didn't do any ridiculous looking undercranking to make Chris more proficient then he really is in his scenes.

His horrendous 70s fashion is good for some laughs too. The one scene that had me rewinding had nothing to do with the action but was of Chris pulling the clothes off his Chinese love interest before she dives into the swimming pool. You can briefly glimpse full frontal if you pause at the right time. I agree with @saltysam this is definitely not worth shelling out 30 euros. I actually would be hard pressed to endorse this blu ray at even half the listed price.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
On 7/19/2021 at 12:59 PM, Yihetuan said:

The Golden Mask media book is up for pre-order on Amazon.de but jeesus, it's going to cost close to $70 to ship to the US. Too rich for my blood.

On 7/19/2021 at 8:21 PM, thundered mantis said:

It also seems it's not possible to ship it to the UK when ordering from amazon.de specifically for this title, which is weird considering I purchased both TVP's 'Lethal Panther' and 'The Man from Holland' releases from there not so long ago and there was no issue!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1