Upcoming English-friendly GERMAN DVDs & Blu-Rays

Just got the new German Blu of Return Of The Tiger. English dub as expected, surprisingly though there is a co-feature on the disc, Bruce Lee Superstar, also english dubbed. It's only mentioned on the rear of the cover, and it's not an extra it's a co-feature.German cinema version of Superstar is in the bonus section.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Yes, I talked about the FilmArt bluray. Though you posted that they mention that there will be English subtitles, the site where I saw the bluray says doesn't mention any subtitles : no English, nor no German. They really should be careful about the informations they give to the buyers, and I can't understand why they still mention Mandarin language when there is only Cantonese language. I can't either believe that they aren't able to make the difference between Cantonese and Mandarin just by ear, there are so different languages!

It's the other way round. They say it has Cantonese audio language, but it will probably have the Mandarin soundtrack on it, like the Mediabook.

5 minutes ago, lastninja said:

It's the other way round. They say it has Cantonese audio language, but it will probably have the Mandarin soundtrack on it, like the Mediabook.

I won't give them the benefit of the doubt because FilmArt said the same thing about The Avenging Eagle (that it was Mandarin) and it ended up being Cantonese? They have already had 3 releases where they didn't include the Mandarin audio.

9 hours ago, ChillyChong said:

I agree language and subtitle information given by label should be 100% accurate. personally I do not care canto or mandarin as long as there is  chinese audiotrack. Seems forthcoming releases of Avenging Eagle and Flag of Iron are  in standard BR cases and imo cover sleeves has more pleasing colours(never liked that default brown they use) so will wait later release of Battle Wizard. It is fun movie but not necessary upgrade so want it with case&cover which do not annoy me.

I personally think it's a travesty that they don't include the Mandarin audio track just like for The Avenging Eagle & The Ten Tigers of Kwangtung. Not to mention that release had out of sync subs & some parts of the dialogue not translated at all. Looks like the only option is for another custom of The Battle Wizard for fans who want the Mandarin soundtrack.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 5:59 PM, Yihetuan said:

Did anyone buy The Killer from the same label? I remember members here saying it's just the old HKR custom being re-released under the guise of a legit label. Now the same with Hard Boiled.

It's hilarious because if you follow the link provided BbA films, it leads you to this.

https://www.facebook.com/p/Blumen-By-Alice-100054418182154/

Yes, these releases are very dubious.

Muck47 from movie-censorship.com added a folder with screens from the new release: https://postimg.cc/gallery/t7Sfy8p

And also a comparison between HKR and the new german BD: https://slow.pics/c/ZB2gWimQ

A mod at the german Movieside forum is speculating that it's an upscale from the german DVD (ems) with added grain and filters. 

I believe that's true. But it could look worse. 

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

24 minutes ago, chonk said:

Yes, these releases are very dubious.

Muck47 from movie-censorship.com added a folder with screens from the new release: https://postimg.cc/gallery/t7Sfy8p

And also a comparison between HKR and the new german BD: https://slow.pics/c/ZB2gWimQ

A mod at the german Movieside forum is speculating that it's an upscale from the german DVD (ems) with added grain and filters. 

I believe that's true. But it could look worse. 

yes the same with the HKR release. Just a limitation of the source material and I believe HKR used the DD blu ray and also upscaled some dvd sources for the credits and the Criterion LD as a color grade reference. So basically, this is the best you're going to get until someone scans the OCN (if it's still available in decent condition).

• Like 1

Last year, Fokus Media and Shamrock announced the release of Don "The Dragon" Wilson's 1989 film, Bloodfist on blu ray in a scanavo case. The release date is finally out as April 5 and will be distributed by Cargo. English friendly of course.

Bloodfist_1989_Galerie.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

@monkmovies, is this confirmed to have English subs? All the various German sites are only listing German subs. Of course, that doesn't mean anything but just want to make sure it's English friendly.

it's a repack of this disc, so no english options:

https://www.ofdb.de/fassung/224,464776,Sex-und-Zen/

• Like 1

I finally got my copy of John Woo's the Killer.

Well, though the theatrical cut has been remastered in 2k do not expect too many miracles. BUT, it is definitely a nice upgrade since all previous releases were based on an older master. I am also pleased with the original Cantonese soundtrack and the English subs. Aspect ration is approx. 2.00:1

The remastered Taiwansese Extended Cut (aspect ratio 1.85:1) is in Mandarin with burnt-in Chinese and English subs just as on the French HK Vidéo DVD. Was pleasant to watch again as well.

Long story short...I spent a great afternoon on my couch watching this nice release and do not regret the purchase. Imho both cuts have never looked better.

Edited by pachito23
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, pachito23 said:

I finally got my copy of John Woo's the Killer.

Well, though the theatrical cut has been remastered in 2k do not expect too many miracles. BUT, it is definitely a nice upgrade since all previous releases were based on an older master. I am also pleased with the original Cantonese soundtrack and the English subs. Aspect ration is approx. 2.00:1

The remastered Taiwansese Extended Cut (aspect ratio 1.85:1) is in Mandarin with burnt-in Chinese and English subs just as on the French HK Vidéo DVD. Was pleasant to watch again as well.

Long story short...I spent a great afternoon on my couch watching this nice release and do not regret the purchase. Imho both cuts have never looked better.

so basically barring a restoration or new scan of the original camera negative the best this film and probably Hard Boiled when released will ever look? and its cropped as well?

Edited by actionfan93

Eastern Cult is releasing A Chinese Ghost Story on blu ray with a release date of February 22. English friendly. (the specs say March but I believe that's a printing error)

A-Chinese-Ghost-Story-Galerie.jpg

Screenshot_2023-12-17 A Chinese Ghost Story Blu-ray.png

• Like 2

I remember the german ems dvds were of excellent quality and 5.1 actually sounded great. Those were not English friendly though. Whether the above is upscaled or HD I don't know. Is the company known for quality releases?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ChillyChong said:

Did any1 picked sunset warrior?heroes shed no tears(but lot blood) is so underrated

If did how it is?

I received it ten 10 days ago, but did not have the time to watch it yet. I might watch it tomorrow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pachito23 said:

I received it ten 10 days ago, but did not have the time to watch it yet. I might watch it tomorrow. 

Fantastic quality, although no English dub for  the foreign speaking parts but all in good HD it switches back and forth to English dub if selected 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Graysman said:

Fantastic quality, although no English dub for  the foreign speaking parts but all in good HD it switches back and forth to English dub if selected 

I trust you and buy it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ironfistedmonk said:

When is Queens High out?

We dunno.spannick maybe has bit info but shamrock is at times slow.over year since dreaming the reality was supposed to be out

Queen's High and Dreaming the Reality will be out the same day i was told, and shamrock also said there'll be a realiable shop which ships internationally for mediabooks. I will keep on track.

• Like 1