Lone Wolf & Cub TV Series Vol.1 (Tokyo Shock)

GwaiLoMoFo

Looks like on 4/29 "Lone Wolf And Cub" TV series is finally gonna see the light of day from our friends over at Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock. But it appears that they are gonna F*%#K us by releasing them like they did the "Zatoichi" TV series. I personally hated the way they released 4-5 epsiodes a shot for @ $30 each. Got too damn expensive if you wanted to get them all. I personally only picked up the first 3 vol of the Zato series until I said screw it. Dont get me wrong, the LW&C films are my favorite films in ANY genre. And Im extremely happy theyre coming out. But it woulda been great if they woulda handled it the way BCI handled the Shadow Warriors release. I'll just rent the LW&C series, and hopefully down the road MB will eventually release them as a full boxset (like they are Zato). BTW, amazon has it listed for $22.49.

lwctv.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gravedigger666

I have to admit I have not seen any of those movies.However I have complete collection of pocket books with ogamis vendetta against yagyu.and some stories are spine chilling,particularty ninjas final assault at ogami itto(+story grass that never growns where ogami kills kid ninja) and duel after that against retsudo.Those comics are so great I have been kinda scared movies will are nowhere their match.Ogami slaughtering army of kurokuwa,naked blade capture,machine gun in baby cart etc..but one day I will find out did they make it good on screen;)

Well I was lucky to get the entire series from someone but the quality was very poor. But I was still able to watch the entire series and it was totally Awesome. But I agree that really sucks that there releasing them like the Zatoichi series, which means that if the series doesn't sell well we won't get the entire 3 season on disc. We should contact MB and ask them why there only releasing them like that, you would think they'd learn from the poor sales of the Zatoichi series.

Lone Wolf TV Series releasing a TV series. It's all about cost. With the heavy costs of licensing a full TV series vs a movie, the only sane way for a distributor to sell it is either a full box 100$ or something or by volumes. I doubt that BCI made any profit on Shadow Warriors box, selling it for 25+. I of course hope most TV series will be released legit, but I doubt it, there's easier money and better sales with movies.

The whole series is available subbed on line to dl. I have about half of it. Its fun, but I think I prefer the movies.

oldeschool17

Shadow Warriors for 25 bux? Where the hell were you buying those from? Ive seem them listed between $55-90 dollars.

As for the release of 3 eps per volume, i hear ya. That does suck but its a common thing with dvd releases these day. The longer you wait, the better it is for a more definitive release. I dont agree with it but its to be expected unfortunately.

Neo, believe me that is why I hate to sound Negative so early before a release but you can see what is going to happen, the same fate as the Zatoichi TV Series. And this series was totally Awesome I really wished another Company got the rights to this series. MB is really going to F@#$ this up in my opinion and I truly hope that I'm wrong.

Y'know, I'm going to order this anyway. The more we support and buy these early releases the better chances are the entire series will be released and at a faster pace later on. 4-5 episodes a release isn't so bad either when each episode is almost an hour long.

Yakuza954 don't get me wrong I want to support all legit releases but there was 3 Seasons of this series so do the math and figure how much money it would cost to buy an entire series with only 3-4 episodes per DVD that is a lot of Money my Friend.

Yakuza954 don't get me wrong I want to support all legit releases but there was 3 Seasons of this series so do the math and figure how much money it would cost to buy an entire series with only 3-4 episodes per DVD that is a lot of Money my Friend.

You'd pay more for the Japanese releases...and without subs.

Does anyone know how well this series is doing so far? I see that there already up to the 4th. volume.

Don't know how well this is selling, but I'm a little frustrated with Media Blasters for another reason. I bought and enjoyed volume one and I picked up a copy of the "Lone Wolf & Cub TV Show Vol 2" at Best Buy. It sounded like the discs were off the hub, but I bought it anyway because both copies they had sounded the same. Sure enough discs one is pretty scuffed up, but I thought I'd see if it would play ok. But disc one will not play correctly, so I decided to take it to another local Best Buy and return it. This Best Buy had two copies and I could tell the discs were loose in them too. I found the same problem at two other local Best Buys (yes, I did waste some gas on this effort, but not much). Now I can't return it here locally because every copy has at least one loose disc and Best Buy won't give me my money back but only do an exchange for the same title. So I thought I'd try to do an exchange with Media Blasters directly, but no one will reply to my e-mail. It's really very aggravating when you want to support a companies releases but they just don't seem to care. Oh, well, I'm figuring now I'll just wait until they release the inevitable cheaper box set. Which is what I should have done in the first place.

oldeschool17
Don't know how well this is selling, but I'm a little frustrated with Media Blasters for another reason. I bought and enjoyed volume one and I picked up a copy of the "Lone Wolf & Cub TV Show Vol 2" at Best Buy. It sounded like the discs were off the hub, but I bought it anyway because both copies they had sounded the same. Sure enough discs one is pretty scuffed up, but I thought I'd see if it would play ok. But disc one will not play correctly, so I decided to take it to another local Best Buy and return it. This Best Buy had two copies and I could tell the discs were loose in them too. I found the same problem at two other local Best Buys (yes, I did waste some gas on this effort, but not much). Now I can't return it here locally because every copy has at least one loose disc and Best Buy won't give me my money back but only do an exchange for the same title. So I thought I'd try to do an exchange with Media Blasters directly, but no one will reply to my e-mail. It's really very aggravating when you want to support a companies releases but they just don't seem to care. Oh, well, I'm figuring now I'll just wait until they release the inevitable cheaper box set. Which is what I should have done in the first place.

Dont feel too bad cause the majority of us have had zero success contacting media blasters. You are right though, they dont care about the customer. I know this doesn't help solve your problem but the next time you buy a dvd in question @ best buy, open it up in their presence so you can save the gas/trip of going back or take it up with their manager. Good luck.

guys honestly, and speaking as a video retailer, MB is something that is a necessary evil. Some of you are very right in regards that they do not care about the customer. it was very clear by talking to them at a trade show a few years back when zombi 2 took f'n forever to be released. and calling them is a waste of time as well, because i was not really pleased to talk the smarmy receptionist. HOWEVER, i am to understand that with the case of zombi 2 there was quite a problem assembling the 2 disc set since bill lustig and blue underground had a print as well and was releasing a special edition at the same time....things got nasty, so i don't hold them in contempt too much i guess.......after all it was impressive..but blue underground had a better transfer

but i digress...in terms of quality and price...well i really don't think they have the understanding that they could really be making a killing by just LISTENING TO THE CONSUMER. i get the impression that they charge what they charge because this is " hard to find nerd stuff". the people behind MB really didnt seem to care too much about the films when i talked to them, just the cash. and they could be doing more with special features as well

sorry just a rant. i guess we shall have to wait and see what this lone wolf and cub release will look like

i guess what i mean by necessary evil is that they put out the stuff we want, but they are also in it to make a profit like anyone else

rock and roll karate

I had the same problem when I bought Shadow Warriors the way the 4 disc's were packed scratched up one of my other disc's as well, you'd think that someone would say hey lets pack them better.

But back to the main topic, I really hope that the sales for this series is doing well and they release the entire 3 seasons, because this is a Great TV series.

gravedigger666

I did purchase vol 1 today and after brief watching have to say not so impressive.However will give them some time,movies and comic books were/are too great.and in comic books it really did not start to be awesome before sth like 15th episode.However in some scenes lack of blood disturbed me I edit post after watched those 5 episodes.

Like I said I just hope that they release the entire series, this is one of the best series that I've ever seen and it would be a real shame for us fans not to be able to own this great series. So I really hope MB keeps that in mind, and has a representative listening to what the fans want.

ps: Does anyone have a link to contact MB/Tokyo Shock? I went on there Main web site but I cannot find a link to contact them.

gravedigger666

I try to get my friend order those from hkflix to me because I do not have credit card.$14.95/release is very nice price particularly compared to €24 vampyre charges over here:mad:

oldeschool17

ps: Does anyone have a link to contact MB/Tokyo Shock? I went on there Main web site but I cannot find a link to contact them.

Dont waste your time. They are notorious for not having any working contacts or bother to reply to their emails. You are better off throwing turds at a wall.

Thanks oldeschool17, I really just want to know how the selling of this series is. I honestly hope that they release the entire 3 seasons it really would be a shame for us fans to lose out on such a great series as this one.

oldeschool17
Thanks oldeschool17, I really just want to know how the selling of this series is. I honestly hope that they release the entire 3 seasons it really would be a shame for us fans to lose out on such a great series as this one.

I hear ya man. If Zatoichi is an indicator then Lone Wolf & Cub probably has a bleak future going past 1 season for MB. I am just throwing a wild guess but i feel the multipacks of this season will come in by 2010 if not before.

Thats the same way I feel, that we will be lucky to get the complete season 1 finished, that's why I was hoping AnimEigo was going to do this series.

Finally got to watch the first disc and I thought it was alright. The stories are familiar, as are the characters. The TV series seems to develop Diagoro's character much more. Which is obviously alot easier to do in the television format. Itto's character is alot more humane than the movies. I have to say I prefer Wakayama's demonic portayal much more entertaining. And the action is nowhere near the quality as the movies, which has alot to do with Wakayama. The first couple of episodes never touches on why Ito is now a Ronin, or what happened to his wife. I assume this is covered in later episodes. Actually the only backstory I got so far is that he used to be the executioner (and feud with Yagyu's). Overall it is entertaining, but comes nowhere close to the films imo. Just didnt have the WOW factor the I feel while watching the films.

Archived