Magic Blade (Image)

GwaiLoMoFo

I just got this at Best Buy today and the english dub sounds great.

I thought this wasn't released until next week. Could you provide info on the features, extras, etc.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir
the english dub sounds great.

I wanted to add onto this, because it isn't totally correct. The track sounds clean, but sometimes there's like a "th" sound when someone uses a word with an "s" in it. I don't know how to explain it.

Morgoth Bauglir

OMG this movie is so good. I was completely blown away. I can't believe I didn't see this sooner. The cast is awesome, there are tons of cool fights, an amazing finale, nice sets, and there are lesbians. Great movie.

The English dub was good, and the "s" thing seems to mainly happen with the female voices. Here are a couple lines from the dub that I liked.

"Right, I'm the 5th Swordsman, Sao Chien... Invincible, killer of many, and other things."

"I practiced 20 years to move the nerve center of my body, just one inch, so that your paralyzing blow had no effect."

And when you click on bonus material, the backround has a huge closeup of a woman's bare chest. I don't know what that's doing there, but it's fine with me.:D

OMG this movie is so good and there are lesbians. Great movie.

That always clinches it for me:D

Yeah great movie, it took me some years to see it myself, definitely worth the wait.

Le Samourai

This is the movie that made me a Shaw fan back when Celestial first released it. I love the sets, the spaghetti western influence, and all the bizarre, grotesque touches that Chu Yuan puts into this film.

My question is, does the Image DVD have the horrible PAL conversion problem that ruins so many of their releases?

Morgoth Bauglir

It's definitely not perfect. It's a darkly shot film so I can't tell just how bad it is. I am not an expert at this stuff so I am sure somebody else could rip it apart better than me.

Morgoth Bauglir

hmmm, I dunno. They take it pretty easy on the DVD. They don't even mention the problem that the English dub has. As far as the pic quality goes, it doesn't look as good as my Image Deadly Breaking sword DVD. And when I compare it to a Dragon Dynasy Shaw release like My Young Auntie, it doesn't even come close. It's not bad, but it just doesn't seem like it is nearly as good as it could be.

they do say it's a text disc sent from Image before it's release so maybe something happened between the review copy and the discs in the stores.:P

Le Samourai

Thanks for the replies. The Magic Blade is a film that deserves a definitive release. The dark cinematography makes a good transfer all the more important. At the very least I suppose this won't have that incredibly annoying repeating subtitle problem that the IVL disc did.

I got a copy today at Best Buy as well.

Celestial:

Clipboard05z.jpg

Image:

Clipboard12.jpg

Celestial:

Clipboard01z.jpg

Image:

Clipboard10.jpg

Image:

Clipboard03.jpg

Image:

Clipboard08.jpg

Sorry...I wanted to do Celestial screencaps for the last 2, but my copy kept freezing up in my player. Looks like the Celestial picture is darker, but not as clear. Looks like you could fiddle with the color settings on your tv to get the same pict quality on both. And I only listened to a little of the Eng dub, but it sounded good.

oldeschool17

Gonna edit your post with mine, if thats ok.

Celestial:

Clipboard05z.jpg

Image:

Clipboard12.jpg

Siren:

THE_MAGIC_BLADE-6.jpg

Image:

Clipboard03.jpg

Siren:

THE_MAGIC_BLADE-9.jpg

Image:

Clipboard08.jpg

THE_MAGIC_BLADE-10.jpg

Very cool, thanks. Looks as though the Siren might have the overall best picture color quality. Too bad its not anomorphic.

oldeschool17
Very cool, thanks. Looks as though the Siren might have the overall best picture color quality. Too bad its not anomorphic.

yeah its a shame it wasnt anamorphic. im curious as to why they didnt do it as such. But on well.

Gawilomofo, any noticeable blurriness on the IMAGE dvd? During action sequences when you pause do you see lines?

The Celestial is cropped. The man in white is almost cut out. It is also not as sharp. Looks like I have to get the Image.

I believe the IVL and Siren versions come from a previous non-anamorphic PAL master. Despite the cropped image, it may not suffer from frame-cuts.

The new anamorphic version looks better, but may suffer from frame-cuts. Add a lousy conversion and interlaced flagging? However, subtitles are probably fixed up. Can someone confirm if it's progressive? Might get it otherwise.

Archived