Magic Blade (Image)

GwaiLoMoFo

Been a while since Ive hit up this forum, so forgive me if this is old new to you. But it looks as if Image is finally releasing "Magic Blade" on 3/11. And it does list the English dub as well. Human Lanterns still listed for 6/10. Runtime listed as 95 min, my Celestial copy says 91 min. Is that normal PAL conversion speed up??

magicblade.jpg

humanlanterns.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor

95 min would normally suggest NTSC speed but given Image's other Shaws, it's likely they've taken the standards conversion and stretched it

Best DVD therefore is the Australian DVD from Siren, which has a proper PAL image, Mandarin mono and English mono with subtitles

Curiously, I wonder about 'Human Lanterns' cut status.

But, yes it's likely to be a standards conversion.

oldeschool17

Im guessing human lanterns is the sourced from the same version as IVL's and not Momentum Asia's. I highly doubt they would have a definitive version where there are no cuts. As far as I know, IMAGE has always had the sped up problems since day one. I dont see how its any different now unless they get a new batch of movies and new contract. Killer Meteor is right, Siren is the best version of Magic Blade. I dont know why anybody is waiting for the IMAGE version of this when the Siren version is readily available. Whenever somebody gets the IMAGE version, lets do a screenshot comparison. Who on here is planning on getting the IMAGE version of Magic Blade?

Kung Foolery

Siren: $20 plus and non-anamorphic.

Image: Half the price and anamorphic.

No brainer to this viewer.

oldeschool17

Image: Half the price and half the quality(with exception to the anamorphic part)

To each his own. But id def like to do a side by side comparison when it comes out

Ill be getting both becasue:

A. My IVL version of Magic Blade has the annoying re-appearing subtitle glitch. And after lending it out its collected some battle scrars. Although it does have a very nice audio commentary by Bey Logan.

B. My copy of Human Lanterns is one of my only VCD purchases. So itll be an upgrade either way.

C. The price on these are always nice. Hard to not pick em up.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Man, and you guys complained about celestial cover arts!!! That's some ugly covers right there, espacially Human Lanterns...

gravedigger666
Image: Half the price and half the quality(with exception to the anamorphic part)

/QUOTE]

are they really that bad?I have Four Swords on it`s way...

oldeschool17

the movies are watchable and definently better than watching a shitty bootleg. However, the video conversion is done wrong which leaves combing/blurriness to the picture. It is not so heavy that you cannot watch the movie, but its definently there and when you pause the movie, you will clearly see it(especially in action sequences).It's sad when the IVL releases are better than the IMAGE releases in regards to video transfers because they arent perfect either.

mantis FIST

I will be purchasing this. I have bought all the image releases that have an English dub. Was hoping Shaolin Intruders would, but alas...

I hope future Siren releases of the Shaw movies will be anamorphic. Otherwise, won't the English subs fall off the screen on my LCD TV?

Killer Meteor

From my experience, the subs on the non-anamorphic Sirens were not cut off by 16:9 zooms on widescreen tvs. Momentum Asias were however

These Sirens are def Anamorphic

The Assassin

Dragon Swamp

Shadow Whip

Water MArgin

All Men Are Brothers

Spiritual Boxer

Web Of Death

oldeschool17
I hope future Siren releases of the Shaw movies will be anamorphic. Otherwise, won't the English subs fall off the screen on my LCD TV?

The only other titles Siren plan on releasing is from the Journey Goes West series. Otherwise, they are done releasing Shaws.

oldeschool17
They told me they're not releasing anymore at all

When did they tell you this? I got an email from their GM in December that says they are under contract to release 4 titles from the "monkey goes west" program due to contract reasons from a few years ago. Obviously, they havent or will acquire(d) anymore movies since their initial contract due to poor sales.

I'm planning on picking up as many Region 1 Shaw titles as I can. I have 5 of the Image ones and the quality isn't too terribly. Much better than watching a crappy bootleg or VHS tape for sure. :D

Scorpioeast in Singapore seems to have stopped releasing the Shaw titles as well. These films are struggling to find a niche market today.

i said it once and i,ll say it again. the one and only problem with ALL these shaw releases is this---they have to include the english dub versions. everyone on the damn planet wants the dub versions. i know it--LINN knew it. so why can,t anyone else figure it out.

Killer Meteor

A far worse problem is the picture quality, caused by all this monkeying around with standards conversions.

Archived