Chang Cheh

Jstn

I just bought and watched 'The Master' (Red Sun version). I was pleasantly surprised with the choreography. The reason I say that is that I had one other Shaw Bros. movie (choreographed by Chang Cheh) and I sold it, thought it was crap (even though, Mark gave it good reviews). I can't even remember the name of the movie at this point.

Did he action direct any other good ones aside from 'The Master'? I am interested in looking into some other stuff he did.

Thanks

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Amazing Psycho Per

If you mean the action director/choreographer then it's Hsu Hsia. He's a very good choreo. but has work int the shadow of some of the greats. For example, he worked as a fight choreo. with Yuen Woo Ping in early films such as Drunken Master, Snake in the eagles shadow and Snuff Bottle Connection. He also co-choreographed on Righting Wrongs.

For is "solo" work, there's the fight filled 5 Super Fighters. If you can stand non-stop action with actually no plot what so ever, then you could check it out, it has a very good reputation but I personnaly don't like it. There's also Boxer from the temple in wich the finghts looks pretty good but I haven't seen it yet.

There are also two movies that he directed that have a good fan following wich are Kid from Kwantung, with Hwang Jang Lee as the main vilain, and I will finally knock you down dad with Chin siu Ho, Philip Ko Fei and Chen Kuen Tai. The later is very hard to find though...

Hope it answers you question.

If you mean the action director/choreographer then it's Hsu Hsia. He's a very good choreo. but has work int the shadow of some of the greats. For example, he worked as a fight choreo. with Yuen Woo Ping in early films such as Drunken Master, Snake in the eagles shadow and Snuff Bottle Connection. He also co-choreographed on Righting Wrongs.

For is "solo" work, there's the fight filled 5 Super Fighters. If you can stand non-stop action with actually no plot what so ever, then you could check it out, it has a very good reputation but I personnaly don't like it. There's also Boxer from the temple in wich the find looks pretty good but I haven't seen it yet.

There also two movies that he also directed that have a good fan following wich are Kid from Kwantung, with Hwang Jang Lee as the main vilain, and I will finally knock you down dad with Chin siu Ho, Philip Ko Fei and Chen Kuen Tai. The later is very hard to find though...

Hope it answers you question.

Yes, thank you very much for the clarification. I will have to check out some of the ones you mentioned.

Archived