Zatoichi - Collection 1

daisho2004

JFYI, Tokyo Shock is releasing Zatoichi TV series on a 6 Disc set on DVD Release Date: March 11, 2008 for $35.95 to bad they didn't do that from the beginning!

Product Description

A threat is uttered, a blade is drawn, a flash of cold steel and then...a dozen attackers now lie silent, dispatched by the lightning sword of Zatoichi. A humble masseur and gambler, Zatoichi wanders the countryside of Japan, going from town to town plying his trade and rolling the dice. With kind heart and lethal sword skills, he is protector of the innocent and the ruin of wicked men. A pop culture icon since his screen debut in 1962, Zatoichi (played by Shintaro Katsu) was a matinee favorite throughout the 1960s. After a dozen years and 25 films, the blind swordsman transitioned to the small screen in 1974 in the series, "Zatoichi Monogatari". The first 13 episodes have been compiled in this three-volume, six -disc set.

51Cjv-B8Q8L._SS500_.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EXACTLY, I'm waiting for the Rica box set. Which will probably be very soon.

I'm assuming these are just all the disks they already released in a box set. Here's hoping this sets up the possibility of more episodes being released in the future.

Yakuza954, yes this is just the ones they released so far, if they would have done this in the beginning I think the sales would've been better. I do hope they release the rest of the series that they never finished.

Screw them, they already have my $90 for the first 13 episodes! But at least if they release the rest of them this way I might consider getting them.

I hope they do. This is a very good series that ranks up there with the Mute Samurai series in quality. Some of the episodes are even as good as the movies. In his review, Mark Pollard even wrote that he preferred the series to the movies.

oldeschool17

Has there been a definitive release of all of the tv series or have they only broken them up in small increments?

oldeschool17, there has only been the release of the single DVD's of the TV series and they were up to episode #26 vol.#6 which really sucks because there were 100 episodes all together.

oldeschool17
oldeschool17, there has only been the release of the single DVD's of the TV series and they were up to episode #26 vol.#6 which really sucks because there were 100 episodes all together.

Who released them and why did they stop @ 26? At this point they should just break it up into boxed sets (seasons).

It was released by Tokyo Shock/Media Blasters that is why I'm not happy that there releasing the Lone Wolf & Cub TV series because there making the same mistake as they did with this series by only releasing 4 episodes per DVD Vol. sales weren't that good that is why they didn't finish the entire series. They shouldn't made an entire Box set it would've done so much better.

kungfusamurai

They're still screwing with us. They're splitting up the 26 episodes into 2 separate collections, instead of putting them together as one 12 disc set. I'm going to wait until they put all of those into one set before ponying up my cash.

KFS

Guest MrGranger

I don't think it's a bad deal for 6 DVDs. I'd jump up and down for the chance to get Collection 3...

Any word on more releases? The TV series is really just about as good as the film series so far. I can tell they don't have the same production value but it's a lot of fun to watch and rewatch and rewatch...waiting so very long for the next one.

kungfusamurai

I bought it and was impressed with the series. There were a few episodes that didn't have good story lines, but overall, the quality of the fight scenes and acting is on par with the films from the 60s.

Too bad Tokyo Shock (TS) has stopped releasing this show. I see that in Japan they've been releasing them on DVD, but at $200 or more per set. I remember before these TS DVDs came out, people were selling the series on DVD from old boot tapes. Does anyone know what series' were on those DVDs? And if you can buy them or download them? I'd prefer to get them legit via TS, but if they ain't selling them, I gotta take the dark path... :)

Incidentally, a number of years ago, I actually did get one DVD of the Zatoichi TV show. I never really watched it because it seemed kind of slow. I thought for the longest time it was from Series 1 (1974), but then I dug it out after watching my Series 1 sets, and saw that it actually was from the 1979 series! Not as much fighting, but Katsu is still fast on the sword in that later series.

KFS

Does anyone know if these episodes are the ones that were airing on D.C. broadcast tv, on channel 56 out of Falls Church? I was only able to catch a few episodes due to work, but the subbing looked dated.

Archived