Another US company and Shaw Brothers

Guest lemmy caution

Guest lemmy caution

This board is always on the ball in terms of keeping up with Shaw Brothers releases inside or outside of Hong Kong. So I was just curious about something. Recently Cinema Epoch has put out a Shaw double feature DVD in the US and so far no one has mentioned it. Its part of their Chinese Film Classics Collection and has the Li Han Hsiang film Empress Wu (1963) and the 1962 version of Dream of the Red Chamber. Is this just because of the subject matter of these films or did they actually slip by most peoples radar?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Film-Classics-Collection-Chamber/dp/B000Z6RH1O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1204272021&sr=1-1

These 2 movies are not the Shaw versions but the early ones from China in black and white.

This version of Empress Wu is from 1939 and stars Violet Koo in the title role.

The version of Dream Of The Red Chamber on Cinema Epoch is from 1944 and stars the famous singer/actress Zhou Xuan.

Guest lemmy caution

Okay, I had not looked in on Cinema Epochs site for that release. A few of the sites that announced its initial release had the information for the Shaw versions and since I already own both of those I didn’t immediately look into the details.

Archived