Bruce Lee and Kung Fu Mania DVD

AlbertV

I bought the DVD of a compilation called Bruce Lee and Kung Fu Mania for only $1.00. I love it. Here's a breakdown:

It starts with the making of Enter the Dragon, then a brief look at the career of Bruce Lee, from his work as a child actor in Hong Kong to his reign as the martial arts legend of Hong Kong films, with some trailers and TV spots for The Green Hornet. They showed the factory fight from The Big Boss, the fight between Lee and Robert Baker and Riki Hashimoto from Fist of Fury, the U.S. trailer for Way of the Dragon, where they called it Return of the Dragon, then they ETD and then they mention his untimely death.

The rest is a compilation of classic theatrical trailers of various kung fu movies in the 70's. Here's the list of trailers (Once I get the original names for some of these films, I will add them). Note these were the trailers seen in the American theaters back in the day:

1. Bruce Lee Fights Back from the Grave - Bruce K.L. Lea (aka Jun Chong)

2. Duel of the Iron Fist (The Duel) - David Chiang, Ti Lung

3. The Black Dragon (Tough Guy) - Ron Van Clief, Jason Pai Piao

4. Shadow of the Dragon - Charles Heung

5. Kung Fu Master Bruce Lee Style - Chen Sing and Chang Lik

6. Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth (Bruce Lee: True Story) - Bruce Li

7. Deep Thrust (Lady Whirlwind) - Angela Mao

8. The Stranger and the Gunfighter - Lo Lieh, Lee Van Cleef

9. Triple Irons (New One Armed Swordsman) - David Chiang, Ku Feng

10. Lightning Swords of Death - Tomisaburo Wakayama

11. Chinatown Kid - Alexander Fu Sheng, Sun Chien

12. Five Deadly Venoms - Philip Kwok, Chiang Sheng

13. The Deadly Angels - Dana, Evelyn Kraft

14. Spearman (Flag of Iron) - Philip Kwok, Chiang Sheng

15. The Four Assassins (Marco Polo) - Alexander Fu Sheng, Chi Kuan-Chun

16. Ten Tigers of Kwangtung - Ti Lung, Philip Kwok

17. The Three Avengers (The Lama Avenger) - Bruce Li, Chin Yuet-Sang

18. 5 Masters of Death (5 Shaolin Masters) - David Chiang, Ti Lung

19. The Tattoo Connection - Jim Kelly, Chen Sing

20. The Ninja Warlord - Chen Sing, Yasuaki Kurata

21. The Savage Five - Chen Kuan-Tai

22. Executioners of Death (Executioners from Shaolin) - Chen Kuan-Tai, Lo Lieh

23. The Kid with the Golden Arm - Lo Meng, Sun Chien

24. Kung Fu Conspiracy (The Big Risk) - Chang Lik

25. Street Gangs of Hong Kong (The Delinquent) - Wang Chung

26. Slaughter in San Francisco - Chuck Norris, Wang Tao

27. The Tattooed Dragon - Jimmy Wang Yu

28. When Tae Kwon Do Strikes - Jhoon Rhee, Angela Mao

29. Killer from Shantung (Boxer from Shantung) - Chen Kuan-Tai

30. Shaolin Challenges Ninja (Heroes of the East) - Gordon Liu, Yasuaki Kurata

31. The Flying Guillotine - Chen Kuan-Tai

32. Challenge of the Masters - Gordon Liu, Chen Kuan-Tai

33. The Four Invincibles - Ku Feng, Hon Kwok-Choi

34. Bruce Lee: His Last Days (Bruce Lee & I) - Danny Lee, Betty Ting Pei

Anyone who loves the classic kung fu movies and want to see some classic trailers of the good ol' days may want to get this and for $1.00 (got it at a local Dollar Tree store), it is worth the buck!!!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Righteous Master

Wow, 1 buck? That is a great deal! I would like to check out the making of Enter the Dragon and the movie trailers. BTW, how many minutes is the making of ETD? I will have to look for this title for the above I mentioned. How is the overall video quality and sound?

Well, sadly it is transferred from the original Goodtimes Video. Goodtimes DVD released it, so they transferred it from their own video. They also have the rights I believe to some of the old kung fu films from Best Film and Video because I also bought Bruce the Superhero for only $1.00. I figured for only a buck, with all the trailers, I definitely got my money's worth.

The making of Enter the Dragon lasts about 10 minutes. The ETD behind the scenes on the Enter the Dragon anniversary video/DVD is much better quality wise. The overall video is 82 minutes.

lightning hopkins

I came across a used copy of this at a similar price and picked it up on a whim. The trailers alone make for some great entertainment, and give a nice glimpse into the grindhouse days of old. In some strange way the bad video transfer even adds to the ambience and completes the grindhouse feel -- watching the trailers in all their scratched and battered glory feels like catching the coming attractions at any 70's 42nd Street theater just before the kung fu double feature starts.

Used to have the Goodtimes VHS of this years back. Saw the DVD in a multipack along with some Bruce Lee films before they came out on DVD.

This is definetly worth the $1.00. :D I've had this VHS for years and when it came out on DVD I picked it up again. Like lightning hopkins said, it has a real grindhouse feel to it. The Trailers are very entertaning and they even show the Shaw trailers in a back to back manner.Great for reviewing old films you may have forgotten about. The old early 70's American film, The Hand of Death has trailers in a similar manner. Check it out, there are even trailers there for films like Shanghai Killers, Dragons Never Die, The Karate Killer and Shanghai Lil and the Sun Luck Kid:P

50 trailers in all! The Video is out by Something Weird Video.

Archived