Encounter of the Spooky Kind (1980)

Jstn

The end fight in this is absolute magic (no pun intended) - phenomenal choreography from Sammo. And the fella he fought (forgot his name) is an amazing artist himself. Definitely one of my all time favs. :D

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The end fight was very good indeed. I didn't care that much for the rest of the movie though.. some alright comedy, but wished for some more kung fu especially with Lam Ching Ying. Still worth the buy though.

Yes Spooky Encounters is a film that is worth sitting through. I remember passing on this title several times until one day around the late '90's, I purchased it. I bought other Sammo titles as a result. Titles such as The Dead and The Deadly, Millionaires Expresss, and even The Legend of Zu, and Kung Fu Cult Master.

I've always enjoyed his old school films, but found his independent work equally entertaining.

:cool:

The end fight was very good indeed. I didn't care that much for the rest of the movie though.. some alright comedy, but wished for some more kung fu especially with Lam Ching Ying. Still worth the buy though.

I feel the same way about Lam Ching Ying....the scene at the restaurant with Sammo and the voodoo stuff....I found that so disappointing. For a second, it looked like Ying was going to fight, but then nothing happened :confused:

Great flick, love these classic horror-fu films. Also check out part 2 if you havent already. Its a fun flick, just not as good as good the first. But the end-fight is a ripper!

Great flick, love these classic horror-fu films. Also check out part 2 if you havent already. Its a fun flick, just not as good as good the first. But the end-fight is a ripper!

yeah, I've been interested in getting that one too, thanks for the info on that. :)

I loved this movie, I got ahold of an old vhs tape a few years ago, what's the best dvd release?

I have the Fortune Star version, seems good to me, it's widescreen in English or Chinese - good overall sound and picture quality.

sifu iron perm
Who owns the rights to part 2, and will there ever be a decent dvd release??:confused:

that reminds me when i caught the eng dub on bravo channel many years ago.

edit

it was subs.

Who owns the rights to part 2, and will there ever be a decent dvd release??:confused:

I second this question! I'm still making do with my DVD-R of the old LD. Same with PEDICAB DRIVER, dammit!

A brilliant film from start to finish with a terrific finale. Atmospheric with quality choreography.

I first seen it in the early 90's when it was on Channel 4 in the UK as part of a season. The other movies were Mr Vampire, Zu Warriors and (I think) Chinese Ghost Story.

sifu iron perm
A brilliant film from start to finish with a terrific finale. Atmospheric with quality choreography.

I first seen it in the early 90's when it was on Channel 4 in the UK as part of a season. The other movies were Mr Vampire, Zu Warriors and (I think) Chinese Ghost Story.

the Chinese new year/Xmas season presented by Jonathan Ross.

the Chinese new year/Xmas season presented by Jonathan Ross.

The same my friend. Must have been just after Ross interviewed Jackie Chan on the set of Miracles?

I second this question! I'm still making do with my DVD-R of the old LD. Same with PEDICAB DRIVER, dammit!

The French got a decent (albeit the print used is a little dark) unsubbed remaster of part 2. The French distributor was HK Video, and I think part 2 was only made available in a two pack coupled with part 1.

No such luck with Pedicab Driver though.

Archived