The Master#

Challenge of the Masters#

Martial Club#

The Deadly Duo

The Brave Archer

The Ten Tigers of Kwangtung

Black Magic 2#

Flag of Iron

Going propably to purchase those all.Movies with # I have not ever seen.Hopefully those releases will do well and some Shaws unreleased by IVL see light one day:cool:

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope that for the release of "10 Tigers Of Kwangtung", they will locate Wei Pai for an interview as it has been ages since anyone saw him.

I hope that for the release of "10 Tigers Of Kwangtung", they will locate Wei Pai for an interview as it has been ages since anyone saw him.

Lu Feng hasnt been seen in awhile as well

As for why there's not a 5.1 Mandarin track, it's largely because they knew the original 5.1 tracks were so screwed up on the HK discs.

Is the English one better mixed?

LOL, I'll remember that when everyone is picking it apart in a few weeks! :)

You mean me?

The story of the commentary is pretty nutty. As anyone who knows me is aware, I don't do commentaries mainly because I've always had problems pop up that were such a hassle, I've joked quite a few times I'm cursed.

You should do a behind the scenes featurette on it all Linn. Tell us what happened for this one ;)!

Will there also be an option to hear the Celestial English/Mandarin versions and the 1974 English version with the remastered (ableit altered) video as well as the original one from VHS?

With the 24p for film-based extras question, are they anamorphic (where available) with no combing issues etc and subtitled ;)?

Is the English one better mixed?

I haven't heard the new track, but I'm guessing so. They're making an effort to really not screw up the audio since the HK discs were so bad.

Will there also be an option to hear the Celestial English/Mandarin versions and the 1974 English version with the remastered (ableit altered) video as well as the original one from VHS?

We talked about doing just that, I'm not sure until I see the actual disc what they did.

With the 24p for film-based extras question, are they anamorphic (where available) with no combing issues etc and subtitled ;)?

Can't speak on combing issues, but they are supposed to be anamorphic and subtitled.

Can't speak on combing issues, but they are supposed to be anamorphic and subtitled.

Media Blasters' quality standards mixed with Celestial's incompetence makes for uncertainty.

Obviously MB did '7 Grand Masters' before and it had problems with interlacing and some other stuff, but the subtitles were very good indeed. This is a different situation when Celestial are providing the feast, MB will choose and pour the gravy/sauce.

Hope they'll be provided with a source of acceptable encoding :).

Will bootlegs be pushed off the shelf once these hit the stores?

I was sweating bullets until getting this email a second ago. Just one sentence, but it's worth the wait:

Your commentary was finally approved by Celestial!

BTW, more good news. If anyone remembers me talking before Christmas about an Asian Film Festival I might be hosting, that's got a tenative ok for the month of April.

EXCLUSIVE FROM CHEN LUNG:

Reaction from Linn (regardless of outcome when the email was opened)!!

omg.gif

Have the subtitles been approved too :D?

ROTFL

That reaction is marvelous. It even beats Bruce Le's performance in 'Bruce and the Shaolin Bronzemen'. Pure class.

I got it from thelostdragon (Hussain) over at bulletsnbabes.

Good to see you on mate :).

Italian Spiderman...nice..

That GIF was?

Is there still absolutely no way the original intro can't be redone from the reels at Media Blasters/Celestial's cost somehow, or a special deal?

Is the DVD due to finish production just shortly?

Will branching be incorporated for alternative credit sequences/endings (with exception to '3 Styles Of Hung Fist' which will have it - just the presentation details to be finalized)?

DVD-Rom content still would have been nice despite the position - I doubt it would stop bootleggers anyway as they find it elsewhere. Besides, being a legit release etc, I can't imagine of anymore harm coming?

Are there more unannounced extras to come;)?

That GIF was?

Yes, Italian Spiderman. Look it up on youtube.

Is there still absolutely no way the original intro can't be redone from the reels at Media Blasters/Celestial's cost somehow, or a special deal?

That could happen if you want few to no extras on the other releases. There's a budget for these films and they've actually gone over it for this release.

Is the DVD due to finish production just shortly?

Yes, within the week.

Will branching be incorporated for alternative credit sequences/endings (with exception to '3 Styles Of Hung Fist' which will have it - just the presentation details to be finalized)?

I can't speak for the other releases, but Heroes Two will only have that option for the Three Styles of Hung Fist. I highly doubt it for alternate intros and the like. That sort of thing is just a lot of hassle to get okayed with any company really. That's why you nearly never see it.

Are there more unannounced extras to come;)?

Maybe.

Good news.

BTW, more good news. If anyone remembers me talking before Christmas about an Asian Film Festival I might be hosting, that's got a tenative ok for the month of April.

Where would this be?

That could happen if you want few to no extras on the other releases. There's a budget for these films and they've actually gone over it for this release.

Alright :). I'm sorry, I didn't even consider budget (even for what has already been put into it);). I just thought Celestial may have done it if requested at a special arrangement/cost or something just for 'mistakes sake' or whatever - ridiculous, I know:cool:.

One thing: Do Celestial have the original credit sequences for their movies? I wonder whether the new ones are pasted over old ones (and why), or if the sources they have didn't have credits. 'Two Champions Of Shaolin' was original, but many of the others are newly generated as you'll know.

I can't speak for the other releases, but Heroes Two will only have that option for the Three Styles of Hung Fist. I highly doubt it for alternate intros and the like. That sort of thing is just a lot of hassle to get okayed with any company really. That's why you nearly never see it.

It's bit of a bummer, but considering we managed to as far as this, I'll lay off :).

Maybe.

OK, will sit tight until further announcements. April's not too bad a month ;).

Are you able to elaborate on BCI's first intentions (in terms of announcements and a title)?

Wow Linn thanks for the constant updates. Glad to hear the commentary was ok'd. I'm very anxious for this release. It's going to be so awesome to have quality releases for more Shaw Brother's titles.

This is a must buy from me...even though i already bought it twice, the HK and Australian release!...

Thank goodness i have an all region player!

oldeschool17

Ive cut and pasted the info on that link:

*Remastered Anamorphic 2.35:1 Feature from HD master

*Languages:

*Mandarin Mono with English Subtitles

*English Mono

*English 5.1

*Audio Commentary by Asian Film Historian Linn Haynes**

*Remastered "Three Styles of Hung Fist" available as an intro option for the first time on DVD (Mandarin with English titles only)

*Original Mandarin Trailer (with English subtitles)*New Mandarin Trailers (4 variations, with English Subtitles)

*"Three Styles of Hung Fist", original English language version (from unremastered video)

*Original English language export trailer (from unremastered video)

*Original English language opening (from unremastered video)

*"Made to be a Hero" An all-new interview with star Chen Kuan-tai (produced by Mike Leeder)*Stills and art gallery

**We're deeply honored to have had the invaluable (and irreplaceable) assistance of Linn Haynes. He dedicated his life to classic kung fu films. His knowledge runs deep and his enthusiasm and professionalism can be felt all through this release. He provided a lot of the great video extras you see above and his commentary does not disappoint. In fact, I'd say it's one of the most informative and entertaining I've heard in a long time.

He apparently ran into a snag or two in completing his commentary. It arrived to us late and still had to go to Celestial for approval. Due to the scheduling of the packaging printing, we weren't able to get commentary approval before it went to press. Therefore, unfortunately, his name does not appear on the packaging, which he was disappointed with but understanding of. But the commentary is on there (in the setup menu). In one of our last email exchanges, I was able to inform him of Celestial's approval and he was "very happy!"

It was a real pleasure working with him from the early stages of the process to the plans he had for upcoming editions. As we were working mainly on one film at a time, we weren't able to get too far on future releases before his untimely passing. We know his absence will be felt through the remainder of our Shaw Brothers releases but, hopefully, so will his spirit.

"We know his absence will be felt through the remainder of our Shaw Brothers releases but, hopefully, so will his spirit."

Very well put, cant wait to see this released even if it will always be a sad reminder.....

Agreed that was a well written piece on Linn. I don't want to tell everyone here what to do. But I think we all need to pick up a copy to make this one of the best selling titles for April!! Based on the reactions around here that was going to happen anyways. :D

While it will be sad, I'm very much looking forward to hearing Linn's commentary!!

Archived