Heroes Two (1974)

Guest june

mistertpitydafoo

I just started watching it and the colors are a lot more vibrant but what depressed me is it's interlacing. I dont recall it being that bad on my Thai Heroes Two dvd, it just caught my eye for some reason while I was admiring the brighter picture. I even have it upconverted to 720p instead of 1080i and it still interlaced pretty badly while action is occurring on screen. Anyone recall if the IVL or Thai (which I think is basically the same except for including Thai language too along with Mandarin and not having as many extras). I truly can't wait for Five Element Ninjas to be released by them, but if they can do it progressive instead of interlaced, it would be the icing on the cake, truly making this the ultimate upgrade from your IVL disc. Otherwise I felt that I bought it just for special features, unless of course I rewatch my other version and see interlacing then I would like this new version a lot more since it is truly the best yet. But now in the future if a newer version comes out without interlacing I'll have to upgrade yet again. I just wish they would truly release the ultimate enchanced edition. Then it's gonna be like a Terminator 2 dvd thing where they have T2 Special Edition, T2 Ultimate Edition, T2 Extreme Edition, T2 Ultra Ultimate Edition, T2 Ultra Extreme Enhanced Edition... You get the idea. I just wish that one flaw was fixed in the future releases but other than that small complaint, the picture is definetly nicer in quality and brightness plus there are lots of interesting extras. I noticed they have a lot more stills available than IVL/Celestial ever includes in their R3 DVDs.

Ben

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just started watching it and the colors are a lot more vibrant but what depressed me is it's interlacing.

Damn. I was hoping it would be in one or two places only. Thanks for the certification. That sucks.

Anyone recall if the IVL or Thai (which I think is basically the same except for including Thai language too along with Mandarin and not having as many extras).

Na, Celestial put the film through the rounds twice I believe: The first attempt was PAL non-anamorphic with no frame-cuts - IVL and Thailand took that and incompetently converted it to NTSC and added 5.1 Mandarin only. The 2nd attempt is a frame-cut HD version - Any country that at least uses anamorphic will have used that (Wild Side, Media Blasters) and it's possible the non-anamorphic (oddly) Momentum Asia DVD has used it too.

The '2nd attempt' anamorphic ones look far better image wise and have more information, but they're sadly frame-cut to avoid repairing the splices at each shot.

It's just annoying because of dodgy motion. I really hope something can be arranged to recall it for those bothered by it, fix it for future batches and manage to avoid such an issue in the future with 'The Master', etc.

Will an unpconvert dvd player fix that?

I have a Samsung 42" Plasma HDTV, and I'm running both an Oppo 981 1080P DVD player and a Sony DVP NS70H Upconverting player. The Movie looks great on both. My understanding of interlacing isn't very clear, however, the video is heads and shoulders above the IVL release.

Btw, Linn's commentary is VERY cool, and super informative. I wish he would have had the opportunity to do this earlier, before he left us. So much information this man had to share, I truly appreciate what he contributed, and I will seek out more of his articles, and thread posts here.:)

mistertpitydafoo

I've noticed it A LOT during the intro fights, when the temple is being attacked. I got about 10 mins further and took it out to watch ICOACC first since I've never seen it.

What's ACOACC?

God, I still don't have the disc for Linn's commentary!

Pause and skip frames on your DVD player, you'll notice the side effects (ghosting) of it being interlaced I think :).

Would be cool to know MB's response or if anyone else has contacted them.

Pause and skip frames on your DVD player, you'll notice the side effects (ghosting) of it being interlaced I think :)

Thanks. I still didn't see much of a problem.:o

Killer Meteor

It does depend on the player as well. My DVD player does the progressive for me, even if the disc is lacking in that regard

It does depend on the player as well. My DVD player does the progressive for me, even if the disc is lacking in that regard

Are you sure your player reverses the 3:2 pulldown? Technically it shouldn't without pulling off ghosting frames, unless you've a player that specifically states such option.

mistertpitydafoo

My dvd player is progressive and my tv is progressive and i've upconverted, ect, but it still shows. Its not as bad as the film wears on, you don't notice it as badly cuz the beautiful picture takes away from it. But still it is a downer in that I can notice it, especially when Fong Sai Yuk waves around his big white fan. Nonetheless a great release, and oh my god does Linn's commentary rank as one of the top I've heard. Usually they are boring but before I knew it almost 30 mins of the movie had gone by and I was so interested to here all of his facts and details. I truly wish he was able to record some other commentaries for future releases because he has to be one of the most informative commentators ever. Usual it's something like Arnold Schwarzenegger and the director laughing at a scene saying, "ha ha I remember dat, dat was funny. Here comes da part where I pumped de iron." "ya it was a difficult shot Arnold" blah blah blah. This one was so informative and interesting I almost couldn't turn it off to go to sleep in time for waking up this morning. If anyone wants the commentary, if there's enough requests I could always rip it or something. I am trying to deinterlace it through the computer so hopefully I can offer an ULTIMATE edition of the movie for download eventually so you could somehow compile your own enhanced edition dvd by buying it and ripping the extras and menus and replacing the interlaced version with the deinterlaced. Nonetheless buy this film so we can see others especially Five Element Ninjas.

bravearcher101

The Tokyo Shock version of Heroes Two, is by far the beat print i've seen of the film. The audio, was pretty good, the other versions like Siren was okay, everyone should have this one, but i hope all their other releases will be master in HD.

oldeschool17

I was just at Best Buy(tosh i was at the one in perimeter) and noticed 2 copies of Heroes Two going for $19.99 each :yikes!

I got it coming from Deepdiscount any day now. lol

They said that they didn't get any material from celestial, so they used parts from Secret Service of the Imperial Court for Heroes Two and the Heroic Ones IVL-Cover for Killer Clans.

The Label is usually known for cheap and shitty DVDs but at least they made some good Shaw-DVDs.

3 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I thought that was Chi Kuan Chun in Heroes Two? I must be going crazy. Mind = blown.

That was Chen Kuan Tai in Heroes Two.

Fu Sheng would start his partnership the same year with Chi Kuan Chun. 

It's the holiday season, our minds are :angry 

Iron_Leopard

I'm rewatching this right now. And while I still slightly prefer "Five Shaolin Masters" I will admit the fight scenes in this are a little better. 

Archived