Heroes Two (1974)

Guest june

Hello All,

Is this a pre-quel to Men from the Monestery? Also am I missing anything from this series?

Men / Monestery

Executions from Shaolin

Clan / White Lotus

Where does Shaolin Avengers come in?

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18JadeArafats

I don't think they're a strict, continuous series. Just a bunch of different stories concerning the same characters. 5 Shaolin Masters and Heroes Two, for example, overlap in their time frame, but not in their plot much.

I personally like Heroes Two quite a bit. Really well done, plot driven movie. The action direction is an early example of the stuff Lau Kar Leung would do when he has more stunt people and creative freedom. It's a bit slow compared to later LKL stuff, but still plenty intricate.

Guest Iron Boat

None of the shaolin series are really sequals or prequals for that matter, just overlapping stories from the same material. The closest any come to being a true sequel is (Shaolin Temple) Death Chambers and 5 Shaolin Masters.

Guest CLFNole

The only problem with 5 Shaolin Masters being a sequal to Shaolin Temple is that Ma Fu Yee dies in both films. :eek But then again he did deserve it.

Guest Shaolin Patriot

I like to think of them as the Shaolin Patriot series, involving any combination of legendary heroes Hung Hsi-Kuan (Chen Kuan Tai), Fang Shih-Yu (Fu Sheng) or Hu Hei Chien (Chi Kuan Chun).

- Men From the Monastery

- Shaolin Martial Arts

- Heroes Two

- Five Shaolin Masters

- Shaolin Temple

- Shaolin Avengers

- Showdown At the Cotton Mill (not a CC/SB film)

Guest hkpyanfar

I've seen most of these, but never connected them. I think I just forget the names from movie to movie. I'll need to see these close together maybe....

thankx!!!

Guest Chinatown Kid

Seems like Executioners of Shaolin could be sort of a sequel to Shaolin Temple as well. ST ends with the burning of the temple and Executioners begins with it.

Guest Karlos

I think the closest to a full on "sequel" is probably 5 Shaolin Masters, which also leads straight on from ST's feiry finale.

Personally, I love Heroes 2 - perhaps because it was the first ever SB I saw!

It also has, for my money, THE greatest theme tune ever and, in Fu Sheng's intro, THE greatest first appearance of any SB actor!!! :D

Guest Lei Kung

I loved Heroes Two. Clever title, I would have thought it was a sequel or something. The scene of a man (can't recall which it was now) creeping along a wall leaving a smear of blood was cool and I always wondered if the similar scene in Desperado was borrowed, perhaps a Tarantino 'tribute/influence'. The freeze frame redout as each of the four Tibetians were killed was another nice effect (haven't seen this elsewhere).

I thought I'd post an update dealing with the new releases. I got a disc from MB today with the English dubbed Heroes Two to check for quality. The film looks great and the English dub is remastered using the original elements. If you like the dubs, you'll love this disc. This will be from the HD masters, so it won't have any of the problems the Image discs have had with NTSC to PAL transfers and will actually be a step or two up from the old IVL disc. It will have the original mono soundtrack as well. I'm still looking for extras for this release until Jan, so anyone that has something related to the film, please drop me a PM.

TheManInWhite

Hey Linn! Great news for the new year? Now will the disc have the same demos from Fu Shang, Chen Kuan Tai and Chi Kuan Chun that's on the old VHS copies as extras?

This is great news Linn. Will the quality be just as good as Dragon Dynasty 4 previous shaw dvds and will Media Blasters use the same eng subs translation Celestial is using? Looks like us kung fu fans will have a great 2008:D:p

Hey Linn! Great news for the new year? Now will the disc have the same demos from Fu Shang, Chen Kuan Tai and Chi Kuan Chun that's on the old VHS copies as extras?

the demo will be there and the plan is to give the viewer the option of watching them in front of the feature as they should be. :)

This is great news Linn. Will the quality be just as good as Dragon Dynasty 4 previous shaw dvds and will Media Blasters use the same eng subs translation Celestial is using?

The quality will be just as good, as DD were working from the HD masters too. As for subs, I don't know yet.

This is great news!! I've been excited ever since I heard MB would be releasing Shaw Brothers titles. The more quality releases the better!!

One thing that did occur to be:

I was told Wild Side (in France) wasn't happy with Celestial's restoration and ordered it redone. This time, there was more picture info and anamorphic, but it was frame-cut.

Think Momentum Asia got a version where it has most picture info and no frame-cuts, but non-anamorphic.

James Lee could elaborate on this? Really confusing!

Righteous Master

This is sweet! I can't wait for this baby to hit the street. Not my favorite MA flick, but a must have in any decent MA collection.

The Running Man

Linn, can you please check about the subs.

I as well as others have voiced the sub issue since day one of the announcement of these releases, and I must say it's a bit disappointing that it's a mystery as to what is happening with them.

It almost sounds as if no one really said anything about it to anyone that can do something about it. I sure hope that's not the case.

Media Blasters retranslates all subs for their Japanese films and there should be no reason they can't do it for these releases.

I can give a damn about those atrociously horrible and insulting English dubs of the Shaw Brother films. It's the quality on the subs for the Media Blasters releases I care about most.

Hey Linn I just wanted to say thankyou for putting this all together.. from the media blasters to sharing your knowledge on this forum. Like everyone, Shaws were a major part of my childhood..these heroes were my cowboys and indians when I was little. these movies taught me about heroism and so much more. I seriously went a decade without meeting a single person that knew about shaw brothers. I made the error of taping the shows off samurai Sunday and only using 1 tape. so i would tape over the previous movie every week. So until i saw in a black belt magazine an advantage video ad with Shaw brothers movies in them, i seriously thought i would never see Crippled avengers and masked avengers again.

So thanks to everyone on this forum for keeping this alive.. and Linn, putting all this effort to get these dubbed classics out is mind blowing. thank you

just wanted to mention that MB hired a translator about six months ago to go over the subs for these releases. More or less, they are watching the films with the Celestial subs and fixing mistakes in the translations. And it's my pleasure to help these or any releases.

The Running Man

Ok, thanks for the confirmation. :) That sounds great.

I imagine that the translator is fluent in both Cantonese and Mandarin since some films the "original track" is either or and the Celestial subs are always based on the Mandarin regardless. That's another thing that I am hoping these releases correct.

Will the original intro (hung fist) be the original version?...they messed about with it for the HK release.

I imagine that the translator is fluent in both Cantonese and Mandarin since some films the "original track" is either or and the Celestial subs are always based on the Mandarin regardless. That's another thing that I am hoping these releases correct.

I just did an interview for a website which should pop up next week that will answer this question I think. Someone will post a link.

Will the original intro (hung fist) be the original version?...they messed about with it for the HK release.

Last I heard, prior to Christmas, was that we were going to do this: The newly put together intro from Celestial will be re-dubbed using the original soundtrack. The original intro, which Celestial doesn't have available for the DVD, will be on the disc as an extra. There will be an option to watch the film with or without the intro at the start, a first for any release in the world.

Archived