Media Blaster's SB releases

bobo

Thanks for the link.

Very slight wacky crap, but an otherwise blast of a film. What's more, with (hopefully) the English dub and re-translated subtitles, it'll make it a bit better to endure.

I like MB's fonts, but I'm not fond of the chosen image (a problem I found with 'Heroes Two'... too) of Chen Kwan Tai with a possible 'stock' fist added from nowhere. I do kinda like Wang 'hovering' in the background. I'd prefer one like the IVL, Chen's 'drunken' pose at the start of the film or when he looks at Yuen smashing the tiles. Maybe MB could give us a choice of 3 or something, and let us vote and say why we like/dislike it?

MB, please don't listen to Celestial, this is a Cantonese film ;)!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i liked THE MASTER--even though i detest kungfu comedy. the so called funny stuff is minimal in this and usually gets right back to serious action. as for the english dub--i believe LINN stated that all of the MB releases were going to have the dubs. come to think of it i believe he also said that all the BCI releases would have the english dub option as well. afterall he knew just like i know that the difference between success and failure of all these titles depends on the dubs. i for one will buy any and all shaw movies as long as the dub is included.

The Amazing Psycho Per

IMO it's definately worth picking up... It's the best martial arts performance I've seen from Chen Kuan Tai, even though he's obviously doubled sometimes, he never looked so crip, agile and fast. I think the quality of the fight choreography in the movie outweights the wacky comedy. Ranks up there the best of what was produced at Shaws studio, at least as far as the choreo. is concerned. It's a shame Yuen Tak never went on to star in more movies...

dewolfeaddict

Also wanted to add that director Lu Chin-ku never gets the kind of dap that Chang Cheh, Pops or even Sun Chung got, but The Master is right up there with the best of them.

Would've liked to have seen him make more straight-ahead kung fu flicks before he got caught-up in the undercranked classics he is known for (Lady Assassin, Holy Flame, Bastard Swordsman, etc.).

Lover's Blades was his last hurrah in terms of classic kung fu fighting style as seen in The Master (albeit with a bit more weaponry/swordplay in Lover's Blades).

Hopefully someday, someone will get around to releasing this along with To Kill a Mastermind and Revenge of the Corpse (Sun Chung's horror-fu precursor to Human Lanterns).

Oh hell yes!... The Master boasts some of THE best straight ahead shapes/kung fu action you'll ever see in a Shaw film.

Trust me, you'll be hooked in immediately by the opening credit fight sequence. Just brilliant...

I don't know if I could say it better! I once mentioned this in the thread about Opening Title Sequences. The opening here of The Master is one of The Shaws best to any film of that era.

:cool:

gravedigger666

Y_5Y0EjPxYQ

I am going to borrow ivl and watch it before make up my mind.From trailer can think it`s a masterpiece but I heard there is LOT slapstick and goofing around:confused:

Again I'll be picking up every Region 1 Shaw Brothers release I can find!! The more we buy the more companies will keep putting out quality releases.

I can't wait for Heroes Two in two weeks!!

mantis FIST
I hope this is not the final cover. They could have included Yuen Tak on the cover, since he's the main star of the film.

I'm sure it is. You know how these kung fu film companies do their covers. I'm just glad they have images from the correct movie. See Ivl Disciples of the 36th chamber! :eek:

Not a fav film of mine. I do like the samples RZA picked up from this movie. PLus Chen kuan Tai is just bad ASS!

See Ivl Disciples of the 36th chamber! :eek:

I wondered that too, until I looked at the original poster and noticed the images from 'Eight Diagram Pole Fighter' and 'Legendary Weapons Of China'.

But yeah, the artwork is probably going to be the same. However, as much as I have emotional attachments to artwork, it's not as important as the actual content.

The silly goofiness is only a few minutes and any other time, funny stuff accompanies it. Trust me, you'll love it - that's coming with a genuine certification from someone who detests crappy 'Chuckle-Fu' with a passion.

oldeschool17
I wondered that too, until I looked at the original poster and noticed the images from 'Eight Diagram Pole Fighter' and 'Legendary Weapons Of China'.

But yeah, the artwork is probably going to be the same. However, as much as I have emotional attachments to artwork, it's not as important as the actual content.

The silly goofiness is only a few minutes and any other time, funny stuff accompanies it. Trust me, you'll love it - that's coming with a genuine certification from someone who detests crappy 'Chuckle-Fu' with a passion.

With that said, i might give this one a spin. I too am not a fan of comedy fu.

And put me on the list of "wtf were they thinking" on ivl's disciples of 36 chamber. Looks like who ever photoshopped that had too many images up at once and started splicing randomn pics

I don't think the artwork is that bad!! I agree with what Chen Lung wrote...I love great artwork as much as the next DVD collector...but as long as the content is top notch I'm willing to forgive or even overlook the artwork. :D

I know it's a month or so until the release of The Master, but was just wanting to throw out the question as to what the next MB/Tokyo Shock release is going to be. What people are hoping for, etc...

i kinda like it, at least there's no random heads pasted on random bodies and everything on the cover actually comes from this movie

TibetanWhiteCrane

That huge fist in the foreground doesn't look right. But hey... as long as the DVD is good!

The Running Man

Hopefully someone can clear this up.

I just got the MB disc of Heroes' Two and the DVD runs exactly 92 minutes (not including the MB credits that follow afterwards). The running time however, listed for the IVL DVD (which have all of the Celestial stuff running on PAL speed) clocks in at 91 minutes according to the review at Hong Kong Digital. Now, the French DVD of it, which is PAL, according to the review over at DVDRama (a French review site) it runs at 91 minutes.

But then another French review site clocks the French disc at 89 minutes.

Now, the DVD Times review for the UK disc (pure PAL) has it at 88 minutes.

Now I am going to assume that the second French DVD site is correct and the first is incorrect and that 88 minutes is the PAL running time for the movie.

Could anyone who has the IVL DVD then tell me what is the running time according to the disc itself? And is that the same running time as it's listed on the IVL box?

Could anyone who has the IVL DVD then tell me what is the running time according to the disc itself? And is that the same running time as it's listed on the IVL box?

The running time on the disc is 1hr 30mins 50sec. Roughly 91mins as stated on the ivl box.

I believe the earlier non-anamorphic versions (excluding Momentum Asia's which I think uses the newer anamorphic master, but non-anamorphic in the end bizarrely) do not have frame-cuts, whereas the anamorphic versions that utilise the frame-cut policy and a better image overall: do (according to Spannick) :).

Killer Meteor

Yes. The master used for the IVL and Siren DVD is 91min PAL

However, the master made for French and UK DVD is far superior in its framing. It is frame cut down to 88min (about 92min NTSC) but is far superior

I assume MB got the latter

Archived