Shaolin Intruders

froffeecoffee

froffeecoffee

What is the verdict on Image's release of Shaolin Intruders? Since Image has been less than stellar in their releases, I would like to hear someone's verdict on the video and audio. The credits on the back said that it is a Mandarin track only. I assume there is a dub, but not for this release.

Also, is the movie itself any good? Is it a worthwhile purchase? Thanks all. :D

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gravedigger666

I have it but yet to be watched.However before buying I took sneak preview from youtube and clips look really nice,particularly the fight on chairs.

I`m sure you(+me) will not regret getting it.

If you liked Shaolin Prince, you will like this movie. Cant comment on the video quality, but all IMAGE dvds are worse than IVL's due to the wrong conversion but its still watchable.

Excellent movie. It is a little over the top... just a little. I liked Philip Ko alot in this one. Yeah if you like Shaolin Prince as much as I do, you'll wow at this movie.

Great movie.

Image is interlaced at least (might have a dodgy conversion too), no English dub and it's got Mandarin 5.1/mono only (Cantonese is missing). It does have better subtitles than IVL.

I'm hoping a custom project can out-do any available version. Is the Image DVD a dodgy conversion or genuine NTSC but interlaced?

GREAT MOVIE!!!! One of the few Shaw movies directed by Tang Chia. Crazy fights with lots of props and acrobatic formations and moves. Too bad the DVD does not have the English dub! I thought Image was supposed to release this with an English dub. I still have a VHS copy of when this aired on KTLA TV in Los Angeles in the late 80s as part of the last World Northal Black Belt Theater package. The TV version is English dubbed and called "Battle For Shaolin."

So what release has a better looking print/transfer? The Image or the Celestial?

Brilliant film, a great fast paced action packed movie! Derek Yee was really good in this i though, end fight is so cool, but then all fights are great, good twist as well!

Righteous Master
If you liked Shaolin Prince, you will like this movie. Cant comment on the video quality, but all IMAGE dvds are worse than IVL's due to the wrong conversion but its still watchable.

Yes, this film is watchable. The picture quality looks beautiful most of the time. The general video quality of Image MA films is perhaps not equal to IVL, but they are much better than 90% of the stuff out there.

I really enjoyed this film. I added it to my list of "one of my favorites."

The kung fu does not rate a perfect 4 stars, but where the kung fu action is lacking the sets (if there are sets, the temple in particular is beautiful and may be real) and costumes are not.

I am very happy to add this film to my MA collection. The only downside of this Image release are no english dubs and no extras. It would be nice if Image stepped up to DD overall quality.

It would be nice if Image stepped up to DD overall quality.

That will probably never happen. They have put out a subpar product since day one.

I got this movie on Chinese DVD on Ebay for well cheap, the subs are good. I wouldn't rate the movie as highly as Shaolin Prince, but its definitely up there

I think I would have liked this one if they had used someone with a bit stronger martial arts background in the leads. Derek Yee and Jason Pai Piao fit very well character wise, but was a bit much doubling. Still loved the movie though. I got the zoke version from hkflix, which is celestial remastered and pretty much the same as IVL, but cheaper.

TibetanWhiteCrane
You might hate Shaolin Intruders.

Ok, from the pics and trailer it looks cool though! I just didn't dig on those buffoonish monks, all that water, fire magic stuff etc. in Shaolin Prince! The end fight was cool though!

oldeschool17

the only comedy comes from Pai Piao and the monks are there in shaolin intruders but they take on a much more serious role than shaolin prince. No fire,water,or magic but definently some wire work and bench fu.

The story & action are EXCELLENT! a little mystery & alot of cool (& creative fights). In my opinion, one of the best shaw "shaolin" flicks! MUCH better than "disciples of 36th chamber", which gets so much credit for being so great!

PS: I really don't get the criticism of the Celestial shaws that i hear so much. Are the re-masters perfect- of course not... but they are the BEST of any k-fu flicks i've seen elsewhere. REMEMBER, before celestial, all we had of shaws were mostly grainy, full screen (for many) vhs rips (REMEMBER house of traps???). I wish they all had original soundtracks (instead of some alternate chinese language dubs) & wish they had the english dubs too!

BUT, let's be thankful for what we do have- especially considering reports were that celestial sold only 2000 or LESS of many titles!

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

TibetWhiteCrane, the only thing about this release of Shaolin Intruders that's disappointing is they did not include the english dub that's floating around out there. This film boasts probably one of Kao Fei's baddest ass roles, then you've got the Devil's Brood (bad ass assassins), then you've got Chan Shen's biggest roles as Abbot of Shaolin, and some of they greatest choreographed fight scenes involving some of the most dangerous stunt work ever filmed to a Shaws production. You'd be a fool not to pick it up. No insult intended.

Archived