Akira to be made into live action!

The Amazing Psycho Per

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

American-born Chinese singer/actor Van Ness Wu (Star Runner) has voiced his opinion on the casting of AKIRA, in which he is unhappy that the producers do not want to cast Asian actors in the lead roles. (And for the record, Wu speaks perfect English for anyone who did not see Star Runner. He and Andy On talk in English during the climax of their fight.)

Story is HERE

Oh no...the news just keeps on coming!!!

Empire Online announces that Jaume Collet-Serra is now going to helm the film, which has now been greenlit by Warner Bros!!! And Garrett Hedlund (TRON: LEGACY) is considered a front runner for one of the two lead roles.

screaming-person.jpg

setting the movie in Neo-Manhattan instead of Neo-Tokyo and making it about white dudes means I will never see this remake...

Twitch reports that Gary Oldman has been offered the role of Colonel while Helena Bonham-Carter has been offered Lady Miyako in Jaume Collet-Sera's US remake of anime "Akira".

I think this movie will be as exciting as all the other U.S. adaptation of Japanese material. Here's a short list of great success:

- DragonBall Evolution

- Dead or Alive (the video game one)

- Mortal Kombat (1 to ... 5,6?)

- Double Dragon

- Tekken

etc.

I can smell the Hollywood mess that is stiring up.

As mentioned in one of my last posts, Garrett Hedlund was considered for one of the lead roles and it was officially announced that he has been offered the role of Kaneda, the motorcycle gang leader who must confront his one-time friend when said friend is forced into the AKIRA project.

Dark Horizons

Shocking update:

Twitch reports that Kristen Stewart has been offered the role of Kaneda's love interest Kei.

Vying for the role of the psychokinetic Tetsuo are Ezra Miller and Alden Eherenreich. The latter was one of the contenders to play the new Spider-Man before Andrew Garfield won the role, according to Dark Horizons.

The Gods of 2012 may be answering our prayers...maybe!!! (Dark Horizons)

Warner Bros. Pictures is shutting down its "Akira" remake again due to casting and budgetary issues says Heat Vision

Production offices in Vancouver are being closed with crew members apparently told to stop working and go home.

Producers Jennifer Kiloran Davisson and Andrew Lazar will work with director Jaume Collet-Serra for the next two weeks to iron out the script. Should that not work out, the whole project could be scrapped altogether.

This live-action remake of the classic 80's anime struggled in development hell for years with numerous incarnations and budgetary cutbacks along the way.

This would technically mark its fourth so called 'death', each time though it has come back. In order to do that this time though, its already lean $90 million budget will have to be cut down significantly further - somewhere more around the $60-70 million mark.

In fact its becoming a common thing for various Warner-related projects in the works with word this time last month the studio shut down its "Arthur and Lancelot" while regular cohort Legendary Pictures put a hold on "Paradise Lost" - in both cases it was due to budgetary issues.

While the project is most likely dead, something was revealed...Toby Kebbell, who will be seen in WRATH OF THE TITANS, confirmed in an interview that had the project went on, he would be (have been) playing Tetsuo...and here's the kicker, Kebbell himself is a huge fan of both the manga and anime versions

After reading this interview, I have some respect for Kebbell!

Check out his interview HERE

Taika Waititi is now in negotiations to direct the recently revived live-action version of Akira. Rather than adapt the anime, the idea now is to turn the 6-volume manga into 2 films and Waititi did say if he does get the directing job, he plans to cast Asian actors in the roles with one stipulation: they would be young newcomers and not exactly big name actors. In other words, if he gets the job, he will not "whitewash" the film:

“Asian teenagers would be the way to do it for me and probably no, not, like no name, I mean sort of unfound, untapped talent. Yeah, I’d probably want to take it a bit back more towards the books.”

http://www.darkhorizons.com/taika-waititi-on-how-hed-approach-akira/

Taika Waititi was asked again recently about adapting Akira and he's made it clear that he's not remaking the anime, but focusing more on the manga to adapt. He told Dazed:

“I haven’t really started to get my head around it yet. What I wanted to do was an adaptation of the books, ‘cos a lot of people are like, ‘Don’t touch that film!’ and I’m like, ‘I’m not remaking the film, I want to go back to the book.’ A lot of the people freaking out haven’t even read the books, and there are six gigantic books to go through. It’s so rich. But (the anime) Akira is one of my favourite films; my mum took me to see it when I was 13 and it changed my life.”

A major update has emerged with Akira as it will be shot in California.

"The California Film Commission has announced that the Leonardo DiCaprio-produced project from Warner Bros. will shoot in California and receive an $18.5 million tax credit – by far the biggest of the allocations the CFC revealed today as part of the state’s Film & TV Tax Credit Program 2.0. “Akira” will reportedly generate an estimated $92 million in qualified spending and is scheduled to film entirely in the U.S. state over the course of 71 filming days."

Set in the wake of the third World War, the story in the remake takes place in the rebuilt New Manhattan (shifting from the Neo Tokyo of the original) where a leader of a biker gang saves his friend from a medical experiment.

It is still believed Taika Waititi will direct the film and DiCaprio, Andrew Lazar and Jennifer Davisson are producing.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/leonardo-dicaprio-akira-california-tax-credits-warner-bros-paramount-1202586735/

DragonClaws
3 hours ago, AlbertV said:

A major update has emerged with Akira as it will be shot in California.

I've been reading rumours about this being made into a live action film, since the late 90's. I thought it would beat Ghost In a Shell to the big screen.

DragonClaws

Warner Brothers announce the release date for Akira.

Link- https://filmcombatsyndicate.com/akira-will-open-on-may-21-2021-from-warner-bros/

Akira, will release in theaters on May 21, 2021. The film will reportedly open against the next installment of the John Wick franchise.

The news comes according to Deadline following recent months of developments that now have Thor: Ragnarok helmer Taika Waititi directing possibly this July with locations set in California thanks to an $18.5 million dollar state tax credit approval last month.

taika-waititis-akira-will-be-released-su

Drunken Monk

Taika Waititi is very good at world building and so I have faith in him as a director. But then, I love the Ghost in the Shell remake so maybe I'm not the best to talk about Anime-to-live-action remakes.

5 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Taika Waititi is very good at world building and so I have faith in him as a director. But then, I love the Ghost in the Shell remake so maybe I'm not the best to talk about Anime-to-live-action remakes.

I hope Warner Bros. will let do what he intends to do and like they did with Harry Potter, bring some new talent in the central roles and release a faithful adaptation. WB Japan has been releasing some good live-action adaptations (Rurouni Kenshin, Gintama, Bleach) but had a mixed reaction with their 2-film Attack on Titan (1st good half crappy 2nd half) so maybe Warner Bros. US could potentially do the same here. After all, they not only have Akira, but they are planning a live-action Attack on Titan with Andy Muschietti (It) set to direct. Maybe he will bring more of a faithful adaptation with its European setting.

Rodolphe Dux

I don’t know how they managed to get the rights, especially considering Otomo isn’t (apparently) involved. Some years back he stated that he would not grant the rights if he wasn’t involved on the production and writing processes. I don’t see his name anywhere in the credits. I guess he took the cash or he’s satisfied with the project. Not sure if it’s a good sign.

Drunken Monk
20 hours ago, Rodolphe Dux said:

I don’t know how they managed to get the rights, especially considering Otomo isn’t (apparently) involved. Some years back he stated that he would not grant the rights if he wasn’t involved on the production and writing processes. I don’t see his name anywhere in the credits. I guess he took the cash or he’s satisfied with the project. Not sure if it’s a good sign.

According to Wikipedia:

Otomo himself said in a June 2017 interview that as he is "basically done with Akira" as a manga and that "if someone wants to do something new with Akira then I am mostly okay with that", with the only condition that he can review and approve of any scenario a writer might take it for a live-action film.

Rodolphe Dux
1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

According to Wikipedia:

Otomo himself said in a June 2017 interview that as he is "basically done with Akira" as a manga and that "if someone wants to do something new with Akira then I am mostly okay with that", with the only condition that he can review and approve of any scenario a writer might take it for a live-action film.

That's exactly why I can't read / trust Wikipedia bullshits. Even his son Shohei said the opposite at a convention here a few years back. The thing is they're 10% right, that's probably one sentence in a very long interview. Yes he's done with Akira he'll not make sequel or whatever. But giving away the rights for another garbage for a quick buck, no way.

Anyone whom dealt rights with Japanese authors or studios know how demanding they are regarding their work. I used to deal with them for Ishirio Honda's films that's a nightmare. They basically prefer to sell nothing than doing shit with gaijin. True story, Toho are basically tough guys.

Archived