Akira to be made into live action!

The Amazing Psycho Per

The Amazing Psycho Per

The adaptation will be made in two movies, each one covering 3 graphic novels...So it will probably be more faithfull to the source material then the Akira anime. Newcomer Ruari Robinson (Who the f is this?) will direct. Instead of Neo Tokyo, the action will unfold in Neo Manhattan. I'm a big fan of Akira so I'll keep a wide open eye on this :eek:. Expected release 2009.

source: Twitchfilm.net

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if putting it in two films will work, not to mention that Akira is somewhat downbeat (which Hollywood abhors for major releases). Still, something to look forward to.

i don't know what to think of this. I'm a huge fan of the manga and anime, and i really really hope they don't turn this into another lousy hollywood remake. Then again, apparently Katsuhiro Otomo is one of the producers, and he probably wouldn't let hollywood ruin his masterpiece. Lets hope this Ruari Robinson guy does a good job.

prometheus126
jafd97yJFOI

It could happen.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

my words exactly! most likely, ninety persent of that's gonna happen

Way of the Dragon

They could make this movie really good, but i would want it to be japanese.

i really enjoyed the anime.

I'm just going to go ahead and say this up front: I HATE HOLLYWOOD!

All they have is dollar signs in their eyes. They care NOTHING about the classic manga-turned anime film that has captured the hearts of many world wide. They are going to put some chump as the lead (I guarantee he won't be Japanese or even Asian) and then they'll totally screw the film with some rap or Emo metal soundtrack. (not saying those are bad)

Street Fighter, Dragon Ball Z, Speed Racer and now soon GHOST IN THE SHELL & a great cult flick, AKIRA will be raped by Hollywood's greed. (Not to mention all the live action Japanese horror and other Asian cinema that's been remade)

But hey, their policy is "Take something and make it our own."

Latest update, courtesy of Dark Horizons:

The Hughes Brothers ("The Book of Eli," "From Hell") are apparently in negotiations to direct the on-again/off-again live-action remake of 80's manga and anime classic "Akira" at Warner Bros. Pictures and Appian Way reports Vulture.

At last report Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby were working on the film's script which 'Eli' writer Gary Whitta had previously had a crack at. The plan at the time was to adapt all six volumes of Katsuhiro Otomo’s epic 1982 manga rather than just the first two which made up the ground-breaking 1988 anime film.

Now allegedly the idea is to adapt the property as two separate two-hour films, each made up of three volumes of the manga. Production could kick off as early as late 2010.

I read about that too AV. I don't know what to think of it. I don't think the Hughes are the right choice to handle a story as complex as this but they do have a lot of raw talent as filmmakers and would certainly be able to put together some good action and visuals.

To add to my last thought I do think their experience in making urban crime dramas will come in handy when it comes to depicting the gang culture in AKIRA.

According to the Manchester Guardian and other sources, Zac Efron is being offered the role of cyberpunk biker and hero Shotaro Kaneda.

Shoot me in the face.

I was so glad when Stephen Norrington gave up on his idea to make a live-action Akira way back when, but I guess they've revived this rotten idea.

i thought i read on imdb or something that Leonardo Dicaprio is somehow involved in this?

I think DiCaprio was going to be a producer on the film when it was first announced.

Breathe a sigh of relief...Dark Horizons announced that the Efron rumor of Kaneda is totally UNTRUE....phew!!!

Update on the movie:

Eight actors are now on the shortlist according to Dark Horizons to play the two leads.

Kaneda (the biker hero of the anime)

Garrett Hedlund

Michael Fassbender

Chris Pine

Justin Timberlake

Joaquin Phoenix

Tetsuo (Kaneda's friend who ultimately becomes his arch-nemesis)

Robert Pattinson

Andrew Garfield

James McAvoy

All eight have been given a copy of the screenplay. Albert Hughes is directing, writer Steve Kloves is polishing up his script. Producing are Leonardo DiCaprio, Andrew Lazar, and Jennifer Davisson Killoran.

make believe

The youtube link posted on page 1 won't be that much different than the official trailer.

Ridiculous. I'm not into Akira much anymore but I would still sign the petition to end this nonsense.

If they're still planning to make it into two films that would be good, maybe it will actually make sense this time.

I've never read the manga, but I've seen the original anime probably 5 times, and I've never been able to keep track of what the fuck is going on past the hour mark or so.

I'd like to be wrong but I really can't see this turning out well. The simple fact is to turn it into a live-action movie or 2 it's just going to cost a phenomenal amount of money to produce, if done properly. With that in mind it's going to have to be bastardised beyond belief.

Anytime i hear about an animated movie of comic being made live action I think its a bad thing..Maybe if they did a new animated version (something that looked like The Incredibles) That would be good!

make believe

I'm not sure how expensive of a project this will be but it's safe to say it will be filmed live in green screen. bastardised is an understatement.

It's going to be hard to top the Incredibles but I agree, I would be more ok with something animated.

Archived