Rarescope

Guest WHITETIGERNY

silver hermit

its funny last year no one even remembered this flick. now its the best we can get, my how a year changes things on the rare scene.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greenfan on my Rarescope Chinese Godfather/Duel Of Karate DVD there were trailers for Dream Sword and Return of the Deadly Blade(which looks sick by the way). What's the deal is Rarescope or your label releasing them? I remember the same thing happened with NIAC as well.

Draem Sword and Return of the Deadly Blade are to be released by us soon.

I think those pair of films are way inferior to Warriors of the Water Margin, but then Sword Of Justice is in a league of it's own. To be fair, let's compare Dream Sword with Sword Of Justice; this is like comparing Shaolin Chasity Kung Fu with 7 Grand Masters. But what would determine how many copies get sold in the shops? It probably comes down to how appealing the title sounds. Nobody is going to know that Sword Of Justice is like 10 times better than Dream Sword. The market for kung fu films is just so damn unpredictably bad right now. Soulblade's best seller is.... ...no, not Snuff Bottle or Secret Rivals... ...Clementine! :D:D:D It's all because this film has Steven Seagal's name attached to it. Sword of Justice and Dream Sword have no big names that the mainstream would be familiar with, so which DVD would sell most copies? Your guess is as good as mine. However, for regular readers of this forum and to anyone who has done any research, you know what the best is... ...but then you would probably purchase both anyhow. Overall, any company would end up losing money, so the next question comes down to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSHXyJd1d6E

rarekung2004 (7 months ago) Show Hide Marked as spam -2 Reply | Remove | Block User | Spam This is in a league of it's own.

Some rares should be left alone. This should not be released onto the comercial market.

It would only end up on the shelves in HMV for a fiver.

orangminyak123 (15 hours ago) Show Hide Marked as spam 0 Reply | Remove | Block User | Spam Nonsense! What a horribly elitist bullshit comment. Why shouldn't all the genre's finests be readily available for all? Unless you want to be a posing wanker trying to show off - "look what I've got, you can't have it" etc. The sooner rares become readily available the better. Kung needs exposure, and to be out there to be understood and enjoyed, not hidden away so people can boast what they have. You seem to have forgotten these films were made for audiences.

I have a dumb question for greenfan:

Are the subs on your current & future release burnt, or do they ever run off screen? I'll volunteer to type out, re-time & add new subs to your dvd's, if they are cut off or hard to read. It would be a nice perk/addition if when the subs are white on white or cutoff if they could appear on the black bar below the picture. It wouldn't be at all complicated to do this.

I agree with Falkor. You know, I figure rarescope would have been better suited to sell their dvds off their own website for 30 bucks a pop than sell them for 8.99 in stores because the general pulic at large probably doesn't care who Roc Tien is & never will.

I think those pair of films are way inferior to Warriors of the Water Margin, but then Sword Of Justice is in a league of it's own. To be fair, let's compare Dream Sword with Sword Of Justice; this is like comparing 7 Grand Masters with Shaolin Chasity Kung Fu. But what would determine how many copies get sold in the shops? It probably comes down to how appealing the title sounds. Nobody is going to know that Sword Of Justice is like 10 times better than Dream Sword. The market for kung fu films is just so damn unpredictably bad right now. Soulblade's best seller is.... ...no, not Snuff Bottle or Secret Rivals... ...Clementine! :D:D:D It's all because this film has Steven Seagal's name attached to it. Sword of Justice and Dream Sword have no big names that the mainstream would be familiar with, so which DVD would sell most copies? Your guess is as good as mine. However, for regular readers of this forum and to anyone who has done any research, you know what the best is... ...but then you would probably purchase both anyhow. Overall, any company would end up losing money, so the next question comes down to...

The Amazing Psycho Per

I'd like to tone done the hype about Warriors of the Water Margin...

First, the Rarescope DVD: The picture quality is very bad... It looks like a bad transfer from a bad VCD. The image is very pixelized (is that a word?, and when it's daytime it's to bright, when it's nighttime it's too dark. The brightness problem is not a detracting factor, as opposed to the darkness problem who really is one. Two of the main battles during the film happen during nightime and you can't see what the hell is going on...

As for the movie itself, well... First it's pretty cheap, almost like a television series. It wouldn't be a problem if the fighting was up to the task, witch it is and it is not. It is generally a bit uneven. The group battles for exemple are a bit subpar. There are however some good looking fights, but it's really the final battle that makes the movie... If you've seen it on youtube, well you've seen the best this movie has to offer. It's a shame, because if the two fight scenes I mentioned that were too dark looked promising, but since you cannot see them it really takes alot from the film...

On final thoughts, mainly because of the DVD quality, it's one that should be approached with caution, since the best 10 minutes of the movie are easily available on youtube. Maybe a better quality DVD would do justice to this movie but in the meanwhile, that's all that is available.

Are the subs on your current & future release burnt, or do they ever run off screen? I'll volunteer to type out, re-time & add new subs to your dvd's, if they are cut off or hard to read. It would be a nice perk/addition if when the subs are white on white or cutoff if they could appear on the black bar below the picture. It wouldn't be at all complicated to do this.

The subs in Ninja in Ancient China are burnt in.

The subs for Dream Sword and Return of the Deadly Blade are removable. Currently we are working on the subs for ...Deadly Blade, they will be excellent.

I think those pair of films are way inferior to Warriors of the Water Margin, but then Sword Of Justice is in a league of it's own. To be fair, let's compare Dream Sword with Sword Of Justice; this is like comparing Shaolin Chasity Kung Fu with 7 Grand Masters. But what would determine how many copies get sold in the shops? It probably comes down to how appealing the title sounds. Nobody is going to know that Sword Of Justice is like 10 times better than Dream Sword. The market for kung fu films is just so damn unpredictably bad right now. Soulblade's best seller is.... ...no, not Snuff Bottle or Secret Rivals... ...Clementine! :D:D:D It's all because this film has Steven Seagal's name attached to it. Sword of Justice and Dream Sword have no big names that the mainstream would be familiar with, so which DVD would sell most copies? Your guess is as good as mine. However, for regular readers of this forum and to anyone who has done any research, you know what the best is... ...but then you would probably purchase both anyhow. Overall, any company would end up losing money, so the next question comes down to...

I know what you're saying, Falkor.

Without a really popular theme or some big names, Sowrd of Justice would probably be a hard sell. If I thought there was a decent sized audience for Sword of Justice (and T was willing to do some business) then I would be interested in giving it a go.

I would chose softsubs any day over subs in the letterbox. And this fore more than one reason. The most obvious one would be that if the subs were hardcoded into the letterbox, the subs would disappear off screen on widescreen displays when zoomed to somewhat fit the aspect ratio and also it would force a non-anamorphic approach on the dvd.

Some Rarescope's with this 'feature' (Exciting Dragon and Dream Sword comes to mind) makes me cry since not only could they have used soft subs instead, but also chose to position the subs in such a way that they also partly interfer with the picture whenever there's 2 lines of subs.

Basically what i'm trying to say here is that positioning the subs in the letterbox, be it softsubs or not, is in my opinion not a good idea.

I'm glad that Greenfan won't use the same approach, so i will gladly buy a copy of Dream Sword from Greenfan to upgrade from my Rarescope one :).

I think the subs should be removable. All of these things are as simple as dirt to add. Subs shouldn't be forced. I'd like the option, though, considering how simple this is to do. I'm really amazed at the lack of sub options on dvd's. Whwnever I do custom dvd's, I always make them removable, make custom buttons for subs on my menus & will make mulitple subtitle streams, with different colors, placement options & fonts to pick from. I'll never complain about a feature that you can turn off with a matter of a clik. If I can do this with freeware, I'm sure the manufactures can too.

I agree fully on the removable part (which by the way i mean by softsubs if that wasn't clear enough :)). Removable subtitles are always to prefer.

I am about to start my collection of Rarescopes now that the IVLs are over. Since I can play all regions, may I ask if the quality of the Rarescopes are similar in quality for both Region 1 & 2?

I find them to be the same, except for price!! The region 1 DVD's are some of the best bargins you'll ever find. I think they're essential. There isn't one I've seen that I haven't enjoyed. There are a couple that haven't yet seen a region 1 release, like "Old Dirty Kung Fu", so region 2 is your only option for now.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Their releases aren't always the best picks of the crop, but as Haz has said the price for the films worth picking up are simply amazing, I don't know how Toby even makes an even return, if he does. Thank you Toby. You rule brother!

Along Comes The Tiger

Showdown At The Cotton Mill

Dream Sword/A Sword Named Vengeance

These three films, especially the first two listed, are absolutely must haves, Winfred.

I've bought the last few titles Rarescope has released in the US and was wondering if there is any reason why the original language tracks are not included.

Here in the UK all of the titles Rarescope released had the original language audio track, subtitles (Remastered in some cases) and where available the English dub track would be included too.

So I'm wondering why no original language track? Is it because the elements don't exist (doubtful as Greenfan is soon to prove), is it a rights issue or is it because they think the fans aren't bothered??

I have the following rarescopes (US and UK) and am curious what differances exist. All that I can see so far is that the Chinese Godfather (UK) has mandarin and english, and the US only has English.(Granted I am missing some UK titles) If I am incorrect on some of this, please correct me :)

Along Comes the Tiger (US)

• Mandarin (Dolby Digital 2.0 - Stereo - Original Mandarin Version)

• Mandarin (Dolby Digital 2.0 - Stereo - Mandarin Rarescope Remix)

• English (Dolby Digital 2.0 - Stereo - Original English Version)

• English (Dolby Digital 2.0 - Stereo - English Rarescope Remix)

• English (Dolby Digital 2.0 - Stereo - Audio Commentary)

Chinese Godfather / Duel of Karate (US)

Chinese Hercules (Chinese Godfather) (UK)

• Mandarin (Dolby Digital 2.0 - Stereo - Dual Mono)

• English (Dolby Digital 2.0 - Stereo - Dual Mono)

Choi Lee Fut Kung Fu (US)

Drunken Dragon (US)

• Cantonese (Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround)

• English (Dolby Digital 2.0 - Stereo)

Elimination Pursuit (US)

Elimination Pursuit (UK)

Face Behind the Mask

Kings of Fists and Dollars (US)

• English

Lost Sword Ship (US)

• Mandarin (Dolby Digital 2.0 - Stereo)

• English

Love and Sword (US)

Master with Cracked Fingers (Showdown at the Cotton Mill) (UK)

Ninjas and Dragons (US)

• Mandarin (Dolby Digital 2.0 - Stereo)

Showdown at the Cotton Mill (US)

• Mandarin (Dolby Digital 2.0 – Stereo – Dual Mono)

Sword Named Revenge

• English

Dream Sword (US)

• Mandarin (Dolby Digital 2.0 – Stereo – Dual Mono)

The R1 Sword Named Revenge was in english, although I have a Mandarin copy. I don't think there is a single rarescope DVD that is missing a language track from region to region.

Ahh your right HAZ, I forgot about Sword Named Revenge was in English. I assumed since Dream Sword was in Mandarin then so was the other movie in the double feature. :)

And also thanks Justin, again I forgot about the early versions of Lost Swordship had a missing English track. My replacement was tucked away (they shipped them in those thin dvd cases).

Morgoth Bauglir

I haven't gotten them yet because I have heard they are not so awesome. dream sword is good. I am glad I got that movie.

Archived