Rarescope

Guest WHITETIGERNY

Righteous Master

I guess I would have to disagree with you on that one. I have no problem watching old school films that are scratchy and grainy, however there comes a point where even the greatest film is ruined by just plain bad video quality. When I watch the restored Shaw films I feel like I am in another world for a little while and get to escape the ordinary hustle.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Best Rarescope release for me was Love and Sword, this is a great Tien Peng swordplay movie and the picture quality is alright.

THat is a great movie.

My fav is Showdown at the Cottonmill. All of Rarescope's movies are good, except I didn't really like Along comes a tiger. But the commentary from Wong Tao makes it a must own DVD. The only other rarescope movie I didn't like is Sword Named Revenge, but that is cool because it comes in a 2-pack with a good movie called Dream Sword.

Here are my ratings for all of the Rarescope releases-

Showdown at the Cottonmill- 4.5/5

Lost Swordship- 3.5/5

Love and Sword- 4/5

Duel at the Supreme gate- 2.5/5

Along Comes a Tiger- 2/5

Elimination Pursuit- 4/5

Drunken Dragon- 3.5/5

Dream Sword- 3.5/5 Sword Named Revenge-1.5/5 (2-pack)

CLF Kung Fu- 3.5/5

Ninjas and Dragons- 3/5

Face Behind the Mask- 4.5/5

I am probably forgetting one... These are American releases. Anyone want to list the British releases?

Cub Tiger is the only rarescope release I don't plan on getting. I didn't like Master with Cracked Fingers and I can't see Cub Tiger being too much better.

The UK releases on the Rarescope label are:

Showdown At The Cotton Mill

Lost Swordship

Face Behind The Mask

Ninjas And Dragons

Drunken Dragon

Choi Lee Fat Kung Fu

General Stone

Love And Sword

Along Comes A Tiger

Cub Tiger From Kwan Tung

Chinese Hercules

Drunken Master, Slippery Snake

Dance Of Death

Warriors From The Water Margin

Spirited Warrior

Born To Fight

Morgoth Bauglir

General Stone?!?! That may be even worse than Sword Named Revenge. I wonder why they released that.

Born to Fight and Spirited Killer came out in the US but not under the Rarescope name. I guess the US side just wants classic kung fu titles to say Rarescope on the DVD.

And is Drunken MAster Slippery Snake aka Ol' Dirty Kung Fu, the one with Lee Hoi San and Cliff Lok?

My only complaint about Rarescope is the encoding quality on the DVDs - they often have all sorts of digital artifacts and noise in the picture. I don't mind scratches, mold and other print damage that would cost a fortune to clean up, but easily avoidable encoding/mastering problems are annoying.

And is Drunken MAster Slippery Snake aka Ol' Dirty Kung Fu, the one with Lee Hoi San and Cliff Lok?

Stars;Sun Kuo-Ming, Tsou Mei Yi, Liang Chia-Jen,Phillip Kao Fei

Morgoth Bauglir

Wow, Ko Fei and Leung Kar Yan. That makes it a must see for me. Do you know if it goes by another name other than Drunken Master Slippery Snake?

Wow, Ko Fei and Leung Kar Yan. That makes it a must see for me. Do you know if it goes by another name other than Drunken Master Slippery Snake?

Exciting Dragon

Morgoth Bauglir

Oh, I see. Thanks for the info. That must be the US release of Drunken Dragon. Crazy movie. I love that fat girl.

You've got that wrong, Whitetiger.

Drunken Master, Slippery Snake stars Cliff Lok, Simon Yuen and Lee Hoi San

Your right!!

Morgoth- you were rightI was the one confused I mixed Drunken Master with Drunken Dragon

Killer Meteor

I though the picture quality on Showdown and Along Came A Tiger was very poor. Lots of edge enhancement and video flaws. I presume they came from old video masters - no new film-DVD transfer should look like that

I though the picture quality on Showdown and Along Came A Tiger was very poor. Lots of edge enhancement and video flaws. I presume they came from old video masters - no new film-DVD transfer should look like that

Compared to what was available on these two movies for years these two were big improvements. I have a wide-screen and a full-screen vhs of Along comes a Tiger both were poor but fair for what was available at that time. These in my opinion are good for what there was before these came out. Showdown at the Cotton Mill I couldn't find until this one came out. Not to say there weren't copies out there for this movie. I just could not find it!! :)

Yep that's the one. The Rarescope print is widescreen and absolute mint but....it's also cut:(

ironfistedmonk

The Rarescope Showdown at the Cotton Mill is a million times better than the version that was floating about before, that was one of the worst I have ever seen in terms of picture quality.

The Rarescope Showdown at the Cotton Mill is a million times better than the version that was floating about before, that was one of the worst I have ever seen in terms of picture quality.

As I've posted before, it was pretty clean, the only major gripe I had was how high the contrast was. Things were just blurred out!

Righteous Master

For the price you can't go wrong with Rarescope films. The best part is that they have extras. How many 6 or 7 dollar films have extras?

Morgoth Bauglir

AWESOME!! I have always wanted a wide version of Shaolin vs Ninja. I never heard of Amazons vs Supermen. Looks pretty weird.

Morgoth Bauglir

I just watched Shaolin vs Tai Chi and I liked it a lot. The 2-pack with Shaolin vs Ninja is going to be one of Rarescope's best releases yet.

I wonder what's special/diffrent about the Rarescope release of Shaolin vs Tai-Chi. VV already released it as 2.35:1 mandarin w/ hardcoded subs in decent quality. And a mighty fine movie it is indeed.

Showdown at the Cottonmill is my #1 pick

Same here, but I also enjoyed Along Comes a Tiger. Good stuff, I enjoyed the interesting symbolism at the end too, but I don't wanna reveal too much :D

but if you like a good wuxia check out Elimination Pursuit or Love and Sword. Good fights in both, but Love and Sword is overall a better movie. If you are looking for crazy kung fu check out Drunken Dragon

That movie was hilarious!

"Watch out Doggy!"

I also pretty hype for this! It feels like it's been on pre-order forever! Hope I'll see it at Best Buy or F.Y.E. instead though. It always feels good to see this hard to finds being released to the major public.

chinesebi7.jpg

HKFlix doesn't seem to carry this. Do we have to order it from HMV or can we get it direct from rarescope? This looks brilliant!!!

Thanks

h

Archived