Rarescope

Guest WHITETIGERNY

Guest venom10463

You definitely can't beat the prices on those rarescope titles. I didn't enjoy A Sword Named Revenge, but I'll still pick it up to support bci and rarescope.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curious.. I just popped in the double feature release from rarescope (Sword Named Revenge - The Dream Sword"... And under the features section they have a few min clip named Shaolin Heroes with a pretty slick segment with a guy doing what looks like a chicken style. What is this clip from?

Morgoth Bauglir

Maybe it is from Shaolin Heroes? Just a guess. I haven't seen the movie.

I just got this 2-pack and I thought Dream Sword was a slightly above average wuxia. Nothing too special about it except the sets, costumes, Chung Wa's great acting, and Lung Fei weilding an axe to perfection. Lung Fei is the fuckin man. I started watching Sword Named Revenge but the first 20 minutes or so didn't interest me too much. I will watch it some other time.

as celestial are afraid of releasing movies with poor picture quality,Rarescope who seems to be more brave company should try to get rights for "to kill a mastermind"

ironfistedmonk

Shaolin Heroes is a Champ Wang and Doris Lung movie, there is a short tournament fight for possession of a sword or some other martial world object and one of the guys does chicken fist style so maybe it is Shaolin Heroes lol. I didn't know they had a clip of this on the disc, it's still a fairly obscure movie and has some fantastic action, you've gotta check it out if you get the chance just to seen Doris Lung in the end fight beating the shite out of everyone with one hand! It'll make you re-evaluate who you think is the best fighting female mate.

Ahh my bad, the way they present it in the extra's section made it look more like just something rarescope named to show it off as compilation clip or something. Hehe now I feel sorta stupid for asking such a obvious answer

Thanks for the information, I will have to check this movie out sometime :)

Shaolin Heroes is great! Track it down if you can. IMO, Doris Lung's one-handed fight near the end of the movie is probably one of the best fights in any KF movie. I think the Flashlegs version is the only version ever put out on DVD.

ironfistedmonk

I've got the FLK version, they have a trailer of it on their site, if you guys haven't seen the movie go check out the trailer, it's some bad ass stuff!!!!!!

If I only were intrested in picking up 1 or 2 Rarescope films which 1 or 2 would be must haves?

I'll say these, 1st two for sure

Along Comes The Tiger

Showdown at The Cotton Mill

Choi Lee Fut Kung Fu

Ninjas and Dragons

To name a few:cool:

Morgoth Bauglir

Showdown at the Cottonmill is my #1 pick, but if you like a good wuxia check out Elimination Pursuit or Love and Sword. Good fights in both, but Love and Sword is overall a better movie. If you are looking for crazy kung fu check out Drunken Dragon.

Looks only like a rarescope by design to me. Maybe the same guy who did the rarescope designs did stuff for this too or they stole the design?

The pic on the left side of Tan is from The Hot the Cool and the Vicious, the one on the right side isn't.

Righteous Master

Hey everyone, I just recently bought the Rarescope film Along Comes The Tiger. I read on these forums that Rarescope films were pretty good, so I bought one.

I have not finished watching the movie yet, but I have a question for those of us who own a Rarescope title. Are these movies really digitally remastered and what exactly does that mean? I assume that remastered is not the same as restored.

Here is what the back of the DVD says, "Digitally remastered from the original 35mm negative!" Then on the very bottom right of the back of the DVD box it says this, "Please note: Every effort has been made to find the best possible source material for this DVD. Unfortunatly, this film has been lost for many years and this recently discovered print is the only known surviving element available."

What? I am glad that this movie has become available for us to watch, but Rarescope seems like they want us to believe that they have tried their best to give us the best possible film image quality they could.

I would have to assume that if this film or any other Rarescope release was in another companies hands (say Dragon Dynasty) that a much better quality image and sound would be the final result.

What do you guys think?

TibetanWhiteCrane

I also have that dvd, and found the quality to be decent, but not of celestial standards or something! Although it is like ten times better than the rarescope version of SHOWDOWN AT COTTONMILL which was in really bad shape! I think it's because Rarescope is a relatively small label, with limited funds! Im sure HKL,DD or celestial would have done a better job, given that they have more money and resources! Also, the movie itself (ALONG COMES THE TIGER) was shot on different types of film stock, or so they said in the AC! And apparantly was poorly kept at Wong Taos house or something.

I have the Showdown At Cotton Mill DVD and I agree Tibetan, the quality wasn't exactly perfect. I also have NINJAS AND DRAGONS and the quality was more like it came from home video. I would agree that Celestial, HKL, and DD have provided better quality for the films they released. On the other hand, the films Rarescope release are in fact just that...rare and I can understand that even with limited funds, it can be hard to try to totally remaster and restore the entire prints of these films. God knows how long they have been in the vaults.

Guest Markgway

They're not remastered - that would cost too much - but are taken from cinema prints and so have an inherent superiority over video-generated bootlegs.

Yeah, never. The main point of that company's to just find the classics that were thought to be long gone. But the reason theirs usually looks better than most budget companies is because they have the original reels, as opposed to most cheap companies that just take 'em from second or even third generation VHS! I hate that crap :mad:

DAJIZZARIZZA

it can be a play on words,.. example:

digitally remastered can even mean transferred from a non-digital source to a digital source ,..such as transferring from vhs to dvd.

remastered to us ,.. means simply high quality picture and some extras.

i like rarescope alot ,.. however; they do come off with some el' crap'o quality at times.

i think we live during a great time in history,.. as far as technology goes. we are getting spoiled with all these high quality restoration jobs,.. to the point , when we look at a old school (hard to find ) movie ,.. we cringe,..lol

hey my eyes love the eye candy of the big time companies,.. but i also have an eye for rare very low budget bootleg , scraped off a vhs type kung-fu.

don't you guys have a feeling, deep in your gut ,.. celestials' restored shaws ,.. looks better than even when the film was 1st cut ?

Righteous Master

Just out of curiousity, what is the best Rarescope release so far in terms of entertainment, video and sound? Also, I am thinking of buying the Rarescope release of "Jackie Chan's first real movie." (I can't remember the name of the movie though)Is this film decent?

To answer the question of celestial pictures restored shaws, the image quality is so good now that the picture could very well be better than it was when it was released in the theatres decades ago.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Don't get me wrong, I am eternally grateful to Celestial for remastering the shaw libary! But I actually often feel that the celestials almost look to perfect at times! Trust me, im not complaining, but some of the OLD SKOOL FEEL is gone, when it's all so shiny and bright! Am I the only one??

ironfistedmonk

No mate your not the only one, they look too good at times! Watching the dodgy full screen pan and scan nth generation boot is tough if done straight after watching an IVL Celestial.

Best Rarescope release for me was Love and Sword, this is a great Tien Peng swordplay movie and the picture quality is alright.

Archived