Bruceploitation / Bruce Lee clones

Guest Chinatown Kid

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GungFuFighter

Ah, what a genre. When the late Bruce Lee (RIP) died, he left a void in the HK box office. So, many people tried to make money and have Bruce Lee imitators. Bruce Le, Bruce Li, Dragon Lee, ect.

What are some of your favorite Bruceploitation flicks.

Enter the Game of Death - Starring Bruce Le, the movie is actually pretty good. Hell it's better then Game of Death. But it does get ridiculous, yet it still stays fun.

Mission of the Dragon - Starring S. Korea's Dragon Lee, this flick is also entertaining. A Kung Fu student, Dragon Lee, has been called a master by his sifu, but his father is killed. He trains harder, and fights the guy who killed his dad.

The Dragon Lives Again - This one is starred by Bruce Liang, and is totally off the wall. Bruce Lee (Bruce Liang)has been sent to hell, and meets the king of the underworld, who has a pillar that he shakes to create an earthquake in hell. In hell, he becomes friends with Popeye the Sailorman, and Kwai Cane Chang from the tv series Kung Fu. But he makes enemies with Zatorichi, James Bond, The Godfather, The Exorcist, Clint Eastwood, Emmanuele, Zombies, and Mummies. What a great flick.

I'll tell you more of my favorites later.

GungFuFighter

Well a today I tried watching Muscle of the Dragon on DVD but my copy is so crappy, it stalls and doesn't work right. =(

Morgoth Bauglir

Muscle of the Dragon is one of the wworst movies ever made. You are better off not being able to watch it, trust me.

My favorite bruceploitation is Chinese Connection 2.

Mark Pollard

I just merged close to a dozen threads all discussing this sub-genre in general. Apologies in advance for any mixed up conversations in the preceding posts but this topic needed to be reined in.

There are still a number of other threads that discuss specific Bruceploitation films or actors.

Morgoth Bauglir

Man I guess this really needed to be merged. After reading I Am Caine's posts, I can't believe I forgot GOD 2. That's easily my favorite bruceploitation.

Killer Meteor
Ah, what a genre. When the late Bruce Lee (RIP) died, he left a void in the HK box office. So, many people tried to make money and have Bruce Lee imitators. Bruce Le, Bruce Li, Dragon Lee, ect.

To be fair, I don't think the HK box office relied on Bruceploitation. It was more overseas producers and distributors. HK just went comedy crazy

Luck just hit me today. I went to Bealls Outlet in Orange City (right near where I live now) and I found a copy of THE YOUNG BRUCE LEE on Goodtimes VHS and the price tag said $1.99.

Here's where the luck had struck me. It turned out the video was on the clearance rack...I got the VHS for only (drumroll please) $0.11...no joke...ELEVEN CENTS!!!!

I'm watching the movie right now...it has Bruce Li in it. The original title is THE LEGEND OF BRUCE LEE and it came out in 1976.

Killer Meteor

Actually, The Legend of Bruce Lee was a later Bruce Le film. I noticed that and the Bruce Li film you mention got their titles confused by Tai Seng's releases!

That's true. In the film I have, Li was credited as "Lee Shiao Lung".

Morgoth Bauglir

The Bruce Le one is horrible. Only thing I remember is a scene where he's learning from watching a snake, and he dumps wine down the snake's throat.

HyperDrive

Wow, I'll keep some of these in mind especially The Dragon Lives Again.

I have a four pack called Martial Arts Extreme Bruce Lee. It contains the Bruce Li movies: Blind Fist of Bruce, The Image of Bruce Lee, The Fists of Bruce Lee. Then, possibly one of the most bizarre films ever, called Fist of Fear, Touch of Death, finishes it off.

Chinatown Kid

Bruce Li's best imo are Dynamo, Chinese Stuntman, The Lama Avenger, Bruce and the Iron Finger and Soul Brothers of Kung Fu. Watch his others at your own risk!:)

Never did think much of Bruce Le, his skills weren't too hot and he really overexagerated the Lee mannerisms. about the best I ever seen him look was in Enter the Game of Death but that's not saying much.

Tang Lung aka Kim Tai Chung was the best martial artist out of the imitators, his Greenhouse fight with Cassanova Wong in Game of Death II is one of my favorite fight scenes.

Dragon Lee acted really weird and overdid the mannerisms in the Godfrey Ho shlock. He had a powerful looking physique and nice kicks though.

Dragon Shek I do not like, the fight scenes in the movie Dragon The Master where chopped up beyond belief.

Let's hope Danny Chan can do a good job playing Bruce in his upcoming portrayel, he is the closest in resemblence to Bruce I've seen.

Morgoth Bauglir

Dude if you thought Dragon the MAster was bad, make sure you stay the hell away from Dragon in Fury.

Chen Kuan Tai
To me Fist of Fury 2 (aka Chinese Connection 2) was the best of Bruce Li's flix, next to Dynamo of course. The reason I liked it so much was because even though you knew it had almost no connection to the original, it didn't take much thought for it to feel as if it was a direct sequel! And if you didn't feel the same way, we still always have Dynamo!

The worst of his flix had to be Bruce Li goes to New Guinea! Oh my god was that bad!

I am still looking after Dynamo NL version (uncut and in right picture ratio). Anyone own?

I passed on an opportunity for a scope version on 16mm of Dynamo on Ebay once that went for $30! Would have been worthwhile investment to make a DVD of it....

Chinatown Kid

I remember the late Linn saying that Crash Cinema had the option to release the 35mm print of Dynamo on DVD but passed on it. :S

Chen Kuan Tai
I remember the late Linn saying that Crash Cinema had the option to release the 35mm print of Dynamo on DVD but passed on it. :S

That's really sad. The think is I know someone in Germany who own the Dynamo NL version (http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=40072&vid=123231), but the guy (http://www.ofdb.de/usercenter/view.php?page=info&uid=8321) don't want to copy it for others.

Maybe, someone knows him and can get it for us clone movie fans.

greetings

ckt

All Bruce Lee imitators:

Better known:

libruce_radC60E7.jpg

Bruce Li

Taiwanist stutman Ho Chung Tao become world no.1 Bruce Lee imitator

Bruce Le:

brucele7.jpg

Shaw Brother actor Huang Kin Lung, Burmanese born in Macau become one of the best known imitators

Dragon Lee a.k.a Bruce Lei

dragonlee_618237c8ceddf7c892625e98cb0b36ae.jpg

Looked similar to Bruce Lee but has some more muscles and he is little shorter, also one of better known imitators

Kim Tai Jung a.k.a Tong Lung

kim12.jpg

My personal favourite and legendary man who doubed Bruce Lee in Game of Death, best known for his roles in Tower of Death and Bruce & Jackie to Resuce.

Bruce Liang:

bruceleung.jpg

To be honest i dont think that this guy is even Bruce Lee imitator, but however he is best known as Bruce Lee imitator in movie Dragon Lives Again

Chang Yi Tao a.k.a Bruce Lai

327.jpg

Rely good martial artist best known by playing Bruce Lee in Enter three Dragons a.k.a Dragon on Fire, some of his better roles as himself is in Bloody Treasury Fight

Bruce Thai

cast_clonesofbrucelee04.JPG

Not to much is known about this guy but he is probably Thai Boxing master, starred in Clones of Bruce Lee

Bruce Ly

210.jpg

Chinese actor Hanry Yu Yung become known as Bruce Ly in ''Chacku Movies'' Fist of Double K and They Call me Bruce Ly.

Danny Lee

clones2_r1_c1.jpg

Known as imitator in Bruce Lee His Last Days and Nights

Tong Lung not Kim Tai Jung

TongLung2-3-t.jpg

Growling Tiger star

Bruce K.L. Lea

blfbftg.jpg

Taekwando master, i`m doing interview with this guy, best know for role in Bruce Lee Fights Back from the Grave

Shou Lung

TrueGameofDeath+1979-1-b.jpg

Pretty much popular actor in Kung Fu world, played Bruce only once in True Game of Death

I hope it is ok

All the best

Guest Markgway

I never thought of Leung Siu-Lung as a Bruce impersonator. I think he only did one Bruceploitation movie and that was after he was known already. And Danny Lee similarly was an established actor who played Bruce once in a biopic. You wouldn't call Jason Scott Lee a Bruceploitationist would you? lol

Killer Meteor
I never thought of Leung Siu-Lung as a Bruce impersonator. I think he only did one Bruceploitation movie and that was after he was known already. And Danny Lee similarly was an established actor who played Bruce once in a biopic. You wouldn't call Jason Scott Lee a Bruceploitationist would you? lol

Bruce K. L. Lea was not really a Bruceploiter, the film was changed by US distributor Aquarius.

I'm not sure I'd call Shou Lung well known, but he's probably best remembered for Flag of Iron. Awful actor, if you ask me!

Archived