Bruceploitation / Bruce Lee clones

Guest Chinatown Kid

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You nailed it.Thx:).Have to get this.I enjoyed it a lot when saw in past unlike some others;

Very few people have anything nice to say about this, which is seen as a bottom-of-the-barrel item even by Bruceploitation standards. Says 'Keith' of the website Bruceploitation:

"The running time for this movie is 83 mintues and that's about 82 1/2 mintues too long. This movie is boorrriinnng...Alright I wasted enough time watching the movie, I'm not gonna waste anymore time writing about it."[1]

Another dreadful review comes from John Wallis of DVDTalk.com, who awarded the film a rare zero stars out of five:

"Not only is a bad film for its horrible story, and lack of any action worth noting, it tramples Bruce's name like no other, inserting stock footage of his press conferences, his funeral, newspapers reporting his death, and using Bruce film clips (under a horrible saturated, polarized color effect) as signs that the Bruce-clone daydreams and is inhabited by the spirit of the real Bruce. Unless you are the most die-hard of Bruceploitation fans/completists, its really not worth a second of your life."[2]

Chinatown Kid

The guy that played Bruce in this flick was the same guy that played the spearman in white in the Shaw film Flag of Iron aka Spearman of Death. I think it was his only film as a Bruce imitator. Didn't like the film myself, felt the fight scenes were sub-par.

felt the fight scenes were sub-par.

you are right but it`s very hard for me not to enjoy leexploitation film..I don`t compare these to "decent" kung-fu movies,leexploitation is it`s own genre for me.Sleaze&trash values are so high.

To me, it seemed they "stole" elements from GH's GOD... Even down to the part where the motorcycle guys are wearing the famous tracksuits...:P This was a real piece of crap. The best was Tower Of Death. If that film's story was used to replace Bruce's originally, it would ahve come across much better.

bruceleeclones

Watched Clones of Bruce Lee again recently. There is something strange about this movie. I intend to write a full analysis of the movie for the site, but wanted to hear other peoples thoughts and opinions.

At the start of the movie, when the film shows the three 'Bruce Lee's' in the doctors lab, one is clearly not Dragon Lee.

Also, have you also noticed how Dragon Lee is not seen with any of the other Clones until the end of the movie?

Dragon made the movie "Three Robot Heroes" in Korea, which is presumed was the original title for Clones of Bruce Lee. However, what I'm guessing is that some of the Dragon Lee scenes in Clones of Bruce Lee are from this Dragon Lee production, with other fights scenes filmed when Dragon went to Hong Kong.

I think there is actually a full version of "Three Robot Heroes" featuring Dragon Lee and two other actors. The plot from also sounds different from Clones.

I know this sounds confusing, but hopefully you will understand what I'm talking about lol.

Yep, that's pretty much what I understand happened, they took the Korean footage and built another film around it. But it's hard to tell without having the Korean film what was from that and what was new, other than what you mentioned.

Morgoth Bauglir

I saw a Dragon Lee movie called Muscle of the Dragon and it had a couple scenes from Clones of Bruce Lee. Too bad those were the best parts of the movie:(

:Dno meter how clones you will be able to create there is only one bruce lee and he's the best !!!

anyway it was a good time to see that movie joke about bruce lee .

:):)

bruceleeclones

It would be interesting to see some sort stills from the "Three Robot Heroes". In my opinion, the only Dragon Lee footage not from '3 Robot heroes' in clones of Bruce Lee is the end fight scene with Le. It really is one Frankenstien of a movie!

... what's with the CLONE, avatar?

:cool:

lol, isn't it pretty obvious :P

Ah, Evan Kim. Thanks Squid Lips, I now remember this guy also being Clint Eastwood's partner in the Dirty Harry vehicle "The Dead Pool".

Evan Kim was also funny in Caveman, with Ringo Starr and Dennis Quaid. He was the only caveman in the entire film that spoke perfect English :)

Funniest scene:

The cavemen find dinosaur dung.

Midget Caveman: Doo Doo!

Ringo Starr: Caca!!!

Evan Kim: Shit!

There was another Bruce Lee imitator, sort of. Bruce K.L. Lea, star of Bruce Lee Fights Back from the Grave. Bruce K.L. Lea is actually Taekwondo Grandmaster Jun Chong, who runs his own school out of California and was an action star under his own name in the 80's. But Bruce Lee Fights Back from the Grave was actually a Korean-U.S. martial arts film that was retitled with a very bad scene with "Lee" jumping out of a grave at the beginning of the film.

Righteous Master

I had no idea that there were so many imitators. Guess I never got into watching any of the imitators or their films. They always seemed like really, really low budget stuff (even for my tastes). I prefer to watch the real thing in action in the few films that he made before he died.

HKcinemagic.com lists:

呂小龍

Huang Chien Lung

Huang Kin Lung

Lu3 Xiao3 Long2

Lui Siu Lung

Lui Siu Lung (1)

Wong Kum Hung

Bruce Lai had some great kicks and Bruce Lo also played the spearman in white in the film Flag of Iron.....

Chinatown, Bruce Lo was actually Japanese star Yasuaki Kurata. When they released a film called "Dragon's Claws" starring Kurata-san, they called him Bruce Lo in some markets.

However, you are right. Lung Tien-Hsiang, who played the spearman in white, was a Lee imitator, but his imitator name was "Shou Lung".

Chinatown Kid

Ah ok, thanks Albert. I was thinking of the right guy(he was in True Game of Death) but just had his name wrong. I never realized Kurata was considered a Bruce imitator at one time because I never recalled him mimicking Bruce. I guess it was one of those name changes only by producers trying to cash in on Bruce hoping to sale more tickets.

And while I do enjoy some of the Lee imitators and their films, I agree there is nothing like the one and only original and none have come close to being as good as the real Bruce Lee.:cool:

Brucesploitation - the spate of kung fu movies staring an imitation Bruce Lee in the wake of his death. Examples of such imitators: Bruce Le, Bruce Li, etc.

I'm going to start us off with Game of Death II. Game of Death was a Bruce-sploitation movie itself, what with the way it was finished and featuring tricks to make Bruce appear in unfinished scenes. Game of Death II is a hoot, stitching several scenes from different movies and even news footage into the narrative, redubbing it, and letting it all flow together. Stars Tang Long as "Bobby Lo" and is well worth it for some excellent Yuen Woo-ping fight scenes. Even if some of them are ridiculous.

Archived