Bruceploitation / Bruce Lee clones

Guest Chinatown Kid

Guest Chinatown Kid

I was curious to know how many Bruce Lee Imitators there have been over the years, here are the ones I know:

Bruce Li

Bruce Le

Dragon Lee

Tang Lung aka Kim Tai Chung

Tong Lung

Dragon Sek

Danny Lee(for his one time portrayal of BL in BL and I)

Here are some I have heard of but never actually seen, if anyone has any info or comments on them please post:

Myron Bruce Lee?

Brute Lee(LOL!)?

Bruce Ly(just learned of this guy in a previous thread)?

If you can add to this list please do, thanks!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Atomic Mystery Monster

Off the top of my head:

Bruce Thai (THE CLONES OF BRUCE LEE)

Steve Lee (THE STEEL FISTED DRAGON)

You can find more at the Bruceploitation website.

Myron Bruce Lee?

He was in THE KILL FACTOR with Jim Kelly.

Brute Lee(LOL!)?

He was in a movie called THE DRAGON FROM SHAOLIN. Sadly, information about that movie is hard to find since there was a movie with the same name made in 1996. I've seen ad art for a movie called BRAWL BUSTERS (starring "Black Jack Chan") that uses the same artwork for THE DRAGON FROM SHAOLIN, but I don't know if they're the same movie or if the distributor reused the artwork for both movies.

Bruce Ly

From what I understand, he was actually a Bruce Li imitator. A copycat of a copycat...the mind boggles.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Thanks for for the info AMM!

And Bruce Ly was a Bruce Li imitator?!!:eek Wow, you know it's getting out of hand when the imitators even have imitators! :lol

Guest killer meteor

Tang Lung and Tong Lung are the same guy - Kim Tai Jong

An involuntary clone was LA based Jun Chong who was renamed Bruce K. L. Lea for a Korean film later renamed Bruce Lee Fights Back From The Grave

Bronson Lee is a Japanese actor

Contrary to some sources, Conan Lee and Gypsy Lee are not clones - Conan Lee is a Jackie Chan cash-in if anything and Gypsy Rose Lee is a Hollywood stripper turned actress

Apparently, one Tarzan Lee exists

Guest Chinatown Kid

I thought Tang Lung was the guy from Tower of Death/Game of Death II and Tong Lung was the rather muscular guy from Challenge of the Dragon and Black Dragon vs the Yellow Tiger but I might be getting the names mixed up killer meteor.

Tarzan Lee? Just when you thought you heard it all. Wonder if he did both the Lee screams as well as the Tarzan yells? :rollin

Guest Chinatown Kid

How could I forget Sammo Hung for his imitations in Enter the Fat Dragon and Skinny Tiger/Fatty Dragon, he does one of the best Lee impersonations ever.

Yep Chen, you can tell Donnie likes to mimick Bruce as well.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Well I guess it's a yes for Jason Scott Lee since I did include Danny Lee who only made one film playing Lee too. Those two made bio films of Lee's life although both were highly fictional and not based on much fact imo. Of course Li and Le did the same but they played in several and also the pure exploitation films cashing in on Lee's likeness and mannerisms and made career's off it, Dragon Lee as well.

Bronson Lee is a Japanese actor

I think his real name is Tadashi Yamashita. I've heard stories about him being horrified when he learned about the name change, but I don't know if they're true.

Random stuff:

Does Bruce Liang count as a Bruce Lee clone? EDIT: Heh, looks like Yakuza954 beat me to the punch.

Dragon Lee's alternate clone names are "Bruce Lei" (which is also the name used for an actor in some Bruce Le cash-in movies) and "Bruce Rhee".

Oh, and I've heard mention of a "Bluce Ree" at an article on tv.cream.org.

Guest killer meteor

Bruce Liang is an odd one. I think his Chinese name was always similar to Bruce Lee's. The only film I can think of that plays the Bruceploitation card is Dragon Lives Again - and that is a parody

Guest Chinatown Kid

Who was that guy that imitated Bruce in the film Kentucky Fried Movie? He played Bruce and Bong Soo Han played Mr. Han in a parody of Enter the Dragon.

Also, there was the guy in Shaolin Soccer who sported the Game of Death tracksuit, he definately had the "look".

Guest silver hermit

if you want to see bruce liang's bruce lee then check out Dragon Lives Again might be the most silly bruce imitator movie ever.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Yeah alot of people liked The Dragon Lives Again but I didn't really care for it. I didn't like the fight choreography and the story was so damn wacko! I liked Liang much better in films like Call Me Dragon and Little Superman.

Guest Squid Lips

Evan Kim was the guy in Kentucky Fried Movie.

And you are right, there are two Tong Lungs and it is as confusing as every other aspect of this genre. But Tong Lung from Yellow Tiger was only in that one Lee-like film even though he did adapt the mannerisms for other films.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Ah, Evan Kim. Thanks Squid Lips, I now remember this guy also being Clint Eastwood's partner in the Dirty Harry vehicle "The Dead Pool".

I recently stumbled across the poster for THE DRAGON FROM SHAOLIN.

From the website:

"The Dragon From Shaolin, the 1970s Jackie Wai martial arts kung fu action thriller ("Bruce Lee was a fighter, Brute Lee is a merciless killer!"; "Anger the Dragon you're on Brute's list, he's sure to kill you, with his buzz saw fist!"; "For the first time in the U.S.A. see the deadly Mongolian fire fist!"; "Bathed in violence...drenched in blood!") starring Brute Lee, Casanova Wong, Charlie Hyun, Jim Choi, and Sally Chan"

I love the taglines for this movie; they're right up there with the tagline for BRUCE IS LOOSE.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Thanks for the link AMM, judging by that poster Brute Lee wasn't really trying to look like Lee it seems, he has a beard and a different hairstyle!

Thanks for the link AMM, judging by that poster Brute Lee wasn't really trying to look like Lee it seems, he has a beard and a different hairstyle!

Yeah, the distributor probably made up the Bruce Lee comparison to sell more tickets, kinda like how (supposedly) a "Mongolian fire fist" never appears in the movie.

BRUCE IS LOOSE is another movie that was retitled to see like a Bruceploitation movie. You can see the poster here.

"Deadly than Chiba, quicker than 'the Juice'...Watch out baby, cause Bruce is Loose!"

Archived