Beastmaster or Conan?

Shaolindogma

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Righteous Master

I know the pic I posted of Arnold as King is a bit dramatic, but you can hopefully imagine in you mind's eye an older (current age Arnold) Conan as King. Of course he would only be wearing the over the top royal threads while sitting on the throne. Most of the other scenes in the film could have him wearing Roman type armour that would add artifical muscle structure that would hide his (ahem) real diminished physique.

It really ticked me off that Arnold didn't make Conan the King, he credits The Terminator as the film that launched his career and disregarded Conan the Barbarian but if you ask me THAT was the film that put him in the spotlight. Ah I'd give the dude a break though, he's getting old, I'm sure sitting on his ass in that mayors chair doesn't take much effort, but I'd bet it wouldn't take the guy long to tone back up. What ever happend to Marc Singer?

Marc Singer went on to do the V tele-movies and series as well as appearing in the two BEASTMASTER sequels and I think he appeared in some of the tv show episodes too. He also did a number of Roger Corman's New Concorde horror and erotic movies like DEAD SPACE, WATCHERS 2 and BODY CHEMISTRY. I saw him in an episode of the PLANET OF THE APES tv series where he played the son of Big, Badass William Smith!!! You folks will remember William Smith as Conan's father as well as the tough fighter Jackson whom Clint Eastwood battles all over the place in ANY WHICH WAY YOU CAN (1980). Smith was also Angel in the classic 70s Biker hit RUN, ANGEL, RUN (1969) among hundreds of other credits.

Conan, definitely. (BTW - I actually find Sandahl Bergman very very attractive and visually interesting. Plus, she actually looks like someone who can kick ass - as opposed to many other sword and sorcery heroines (I mean - have you seen Brigitte Nielsen in Red Sonja? Rather WTF at times...;-))

But though I prefer Conan, I liked Beastmaster as well...

BTW - can't remember who first mentioned Hawk the Slayer in this thread - but that was quite a cool movie. With a kinda weird synth soundtrack, if I remember correctly...

Chinatown Kid

I'll have to go with Conan as well. I actually liked the guy who played the Beastmaster(Mark Singer)better in the 80's sci-fi tv series V.

Righteous Master

Wow! I never thought that this thread would last this long. Did any of you get into the Conan the Barbarian comic books? I have LOTS of these in my collection. Very good stuff, much better than the movies.

Shaolindogma

I didnt think it would last this long either but hey... Conan and Beastmaster are well liked.

I think the Beast master movie was cheezy and low budget and not better than the Conan movie, but i like Marc Singer better and the concept of Beast master more.

The Conan comics were so cool, i used to collect them. I also love the novels.

I have quite a lot of the Marvel CONAN and the CONAN THE KING comics but have even more of the Marvel Magazines SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN THE BARBARIAN which I think is superior to the comics and far more violent. B/W artwork, too.

Righteous Master
I have quite a lot of the Marvel CONAN and the CONAN THE KING comics but have even more of the Marvel Magazines SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN THE BARBARIAN which I think is superior to the comics and far more violent. B/W artwork, too.

I also have LOTS of Conan the Barbarian and Conan the King comic books. I used to love reading these comic books. I remember going to various Shinders (comic book store in Minnesota) and going through their 50 cent section and pulling out every issue of Conan that I could get my greedy little hands on. It did not take long before I had a nice fat stack. It was much better to buy Conan comics this way, because I could read many issues in a row, rather than waiting a month for the next issue to hit the stands. Perhaps I will have to dig out my stack of Conan comics tonight.

I never did pick up any Savage Sword of Conan comic magazines. I was aware of them, but in those days I was pretty much a comic book only guy. Did you like the black and white artwork? I am just curious because I have read a few issues of the black and white The Punisher magazines. I actually really liked those. The black and white artwork is kind of nice.

"The Savage Sword of Conan" Magazines were awesome! I never read any of the other ones so I won't try and compare them but these were Great.

Archived