I just watched 'Bastard Swordsman'..

Kung Foolery

and thought it blew.

Mind you, Im new to these movies. Im getting a feel of what Shaw Bros movies I like/dislike.

This one don't do it for me.

I understand there is a little suspension of disbelief in all these flicks, but this was a little too silly for me.

The kung fu was alright, but the silliness was out of control.

Silkworm style?? Come on now!

And all the flying around and other nonsense (when I can see the wires, forget about it!), it reminded me of The Exorcist when Reagan floated above the bed, lol.

Anyway, not my cup of tea. Give me 5 Shaolin Masters (the last one I watched) any day of the week over this.

Who feels me?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand where your coming from, it sounds like you prefer the more realistic action.

Try out some of Lau Kar Leung's work especially Eight Diagram Pole Fighters one of my all time favourites!

Yang Wu Liang

I can't agree, I'd prefer wuxia to standard shapes or P & B any day of the week, still each to his own. Bastard Swordsman is definately not one for the 'wire deniers' but it's one of my favourites!

When I first started watching these movies, I would have hated Bastard Swordsman. I was all about the "36 Chambers" kind of movies, with "realistic" training scenes and story-lines that I could relate to. Now, after many years watching and collecting these movies, I find "Bastard Swordsmand" and "Return of Bastard Swordsman" to be awesome, absolutely a delight to watch. Total sensory overload and buckets of fun. Since you are new to the genre, you'll need to de-pressurize slowly, work your way into the absurdity gradually. Someday, when you become more of an expert, you will see why Bastard Swordsman is an incredible movie. Because--wires or not, undercranking or not, suspension of belief or not--they will never make movies like that again. Even with the wires and undercranking, those kind of kung fu actor/athletes no longer exist ( and besides, no one wants to work that hard).

It really takes a long time to build up the full tolerance to be able to watch any Shaw movie. I wouldn't have watched all that "over the top" stuff years ago (I still have a hard time watching "The Weird Man"). Now... I'm just happy to see different combos of actors goofy roles or not. And what's not to like about Dugu Wudi? The sequel is especially good. The action is just on another level even though it is sped up ever so slightly.

I think you have to have a suspension of belief for some of these movies, much is taken from Chinese mythology and fiction literature it's almost like watching a comicbook movie, I like watching both depending on my mood, sometimes I want strait up historical kung fu, sometimes I like some fantasy mixed in.

you'll need to de-pressurize slowly, work your way into the absurdity gradually. Someday, when you become more of an expert, you will see why Bastard Swordsman is an incredible movie.

Possible, I guess.

ironfistedmonk

Wire deniers lol I like that

I used to be a wire denier, I still am to a certain degree. When I first started out it was all about the shapes for me, I hated the crazy swordplay and swingy arm basher stuff, but gradually when you get more movies under your belt you come to appreciate these type of movies more. 10 years ago I would have never have thought I would be sitting through a whole chinese TV series with no english subs just to get my new fu fix but here I am lol

I also admit to being a bit of a wire denier when it came to kung fu flicks. I even managed a bitter taste in my mouth viewing the "Once Upon a Time in China" series that have well crafted wire work that's kept to a fair minimum.

However, having blossomed in tastes over the years, I find myself enjoying wire work movies these days. Look at "Shaolin Intruders." To dismiss it because of its copious wire work would be a foolhardy move considering it is an absolute classic.

While I haven't seen "Bastard Swordsman" (it's on my list!) I wouldn't advise anyone just to skip over movies that utilize as they could be missing out on an absolute gem.

"When I first started watching these movies, I would have hated Bastard Swordsman"

Same here. I was much more close minded to many different things. I absolutely love this movie and Lu Chun Ku's style. Love Holy Flame of the Martial World as well.

"I can understand where your coming from, it sounds like you prefer the more realistic action"

Realistic? That's got to be one of the most misused and abused words in reference to screen action.

Wu Xia movies like BASTARD SWORDSMAN are not supposed to be realistic. It is normal for flying and superpowers to be found in fantasy films like this. Most of these are based on novels which have that fantastic flavor about them. The Chu Yuan Wu Xia films as well as earlier Shaw Brothers swordplay films ('67-'73) are more "realistic" although some of Chu's entries like WEB OF DEATH (1976) and HIDDEN POWER OF THE DRAGON SABRE (1983) are OTT. So if you're not ready to accept a martial arts film set in a fantasy realm, you may want to ask around about a film you're curious about before purchasing.

Yang Wu Liang

Well said venoms5, supernatural kung fu feats (flying, palm blasts etc) are integral in wuxia stories and are part of a longstanding tradition in chinese culture. If you don't like it don't watch it! I'm not really a fan of punch and block films but I wouldn't say that they blow, I just don't buy em!

I'm afraid that after watching a ton of Shaw movies over the last 5 years, I'm still a wire-denier! Like many, my first intro to Shaws was the mid-late 70's stuff of 36th Chamber, Avenging Eagle, 5 Venoms, etc. After watching enough of the older pics, I've also become a HUGE fan of the basher era flicks and the 60's swordplay. The undercranked, wire stuff of the 80's still doesn't do it for me, though. I can deal with some---I enjoyed New Tales of the Flying Fox, but it's definitely my least favorite era of Shaw martial arts. I agree that 'realistic' isn't the right word to describe any of the Shaw fight choreography, but the older style just seems to appeal to me a lot more.

I've never seen bastard swordsman yet, but I'll testify that I'm such a fanboy of the oldschool wuxia genre lol. I just think the fantasy integration and mystical martial arts coupled with the cool storylines make for a much more exciting flick.

That's not to say I don't enjoy some stylish kung fu every now and then. But it's not something I get overly excited about like the bizarreness of the Swordplay genre.

I suggest you try some of the 70's swordplay classics as I think that was the best time for the genre. So far I'm not the biggest fan of 80's new wave wuxia but I haven't seen any Shaw ones yet so maybe that will change.

Iron_Leopard

I'd like to think "The Supreme Swordsman " is a good counter balance to "Bastard Swordsman ".

Archived