Be Kind Rewind - A Movie With a Lame Premise?

kungfusamurai

kungfusamurai

I'm not planning on seeing this new Michel Gondry film that stars Jack Black mainly because I think the premise behind it is really really dumb. A couple of guys running a video store decide to re-shoot all the films they accidentally erased. So, I guess you have to sit through 1 1/2 hrs of really bad parodies of well-known flicks? All they needed to do was go to other video stores and copy their movies. Too bad because I like Jack Black and I enjoyed Being John Malkovich by Gondry.

KFS

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Amazing Psycho Per

Being John Malcovitch was Spike Jones... Gondry was behind Human Nature, Eternal Happiness of the spotless mind and Chasing sleep.;)

As for Be kind... I agree it looks pretty uninteresting. Gondry seems pretty lost without a Charlie Kauffman screenplay...

by similar logic, the premise of any martial arts movie which takes place in the last two centuries or so is equally dumb. why didn't they just go out and get some guns and shoot people?

i'm not trying to be glib, my point here is that a large percentage of movies are completely idiotic in concept if you level the premise to cold hard logic. a little suspension of disbelief is a good thing, no?

Anyway, i saw a screening of this, it's much more complicated that the trailers suggest. There's a lot more to the film than just the bad re-makes, they're mostly a means to an end in driving the overall point. It's actually a very heartfelt story about what attracts people to movies, and a jab at the hollywood movie system as well. As the professor screening the film pointed out, then ending echoes Capra more than anything else. This complexity is unfortunately a huge problem as far as marketing is concerned - they simply don't know how to sell something like this, so they're trying to push it off as wacky slapstick to maximize profits by duping people looking for a dumb laugh.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Glad to hear it's more then what it looks to be. I was a bit disappointed to see Gondry going for something so easy. Maybe I'll checkit after all...

Funny how hollywood doesn't know how to handle something with a minimum of brains in it... They really think audiences are a big dumb retarded mass.:mad: And yet, theyre big dumb movies for retarded mass make lots of money... Are they right or just good at what they do?:confused:

doug maverick

the only thing i find stupid is that its a video store that has video tapes and not dvd. do they even have stores like that now.

kungfusamurai
Being John Malcovitch was Spike Jones... Gondry was behind Human Nature, Eternal Happiness of the spotless mind and Chasing sleep.;)

LOL! My bad. I think I've only seen his music videos. Didn't he do that famous, early White Stripes video? I still have yet to see Eternal Happiness...

Glad to hear the movie is better than the ads. Yeah, sometimes movie ads will have the stupidest angle that can be a huge turn off. Sometimes its even funny how the TV commercials for a movie get changed, doing almost a 180. I can't remember the exact movie, but I remember for a couple of weeks, they were selling it as an action flick, and then at some later point, they made it look like a dramatic oscar contender. I think that Good Luck Chuck movie had 2 different ads. Originally ones focusing on the guy, but then there was one that focused on Alba.

Okay, maybe I'll give it a chance! :)

KFS

kungfusamurai
the only thing i find stupid is that its a video store that has video tapes and not dvd. do they even have stores like that now.

I was assuming it was taking place sometime in the mid 90s, before DVDs hit the market. Hopefully someone can clear that up. I haven't rented a movie for over a decade now, since I prefer to buy or borrow them for free from the library.

KFS

I just saw this and i was very disappointed. I like Mos Def, but he was rather horrible in this. There were only a couple of scenes that he acted well in. The rest of the movie, it seemed like he was drunk and read his lines with no effort to actually act them out.

Jack Black tried but just wasn't the funny Jack Black i've grown to love. His character was very pathetic and just... not that funny.

The plot was ok, but the ending was stupid, very stupid. It built up and up but just deflated at the end. I was touched by the emphasis of nostalgia and community but felt ripped off in the end.

There were probably 2 scenes total that were actually funny. I give it a D-

Archived