House of Flying Daggers end Fight...

The Dragon

... Just finished reviewing HOFD, and am really moved by the emotional end swordfight between Andy Lau and Takeshi Kaneshiro. I thought the fight was very rugged, and loved how they were just hacking away, and not sticking close to forms or Traditional technique. It had a more savage approach to it...

What do you think?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I agree. It seems Ching Siu-Tung slightly diverted from his usual style of choreographing for this movie, although you can still see it is his work. I don't mind the "flying" at all, but it was nice to see the realistic fighting sequences he created for HOFD, especially in the last fight. As you mentioned, I think he wanted to emphasize the emotions at play in the final fight by applying not too flashy, yet sublime choreography, and just let them go at it.

Excellent movie imo. Suppose some can question the plot, but the visuals and the action is stunning.

I have to admit I'm not a big fan of this movie, I think it was the full blown cgi fight in the bamboo forest that really lost it for me(which I was excieted about as I love bamboo forest scenes), none of the leads particulary stood out either, by the end it just got to melodramatic and drawn out imo, maybe I need to watch it again, I only saw it once when it first came out.

Guest Collector

This movie had so much potential, it had a top choreographer, top actors, good base story and very respected director. the only problem i think is that the director Yimou Zhang is stuck on having extremely melodramatic endings to the point that he compromises the intrigue of the story and the choreography so that he can have people crying and dying just for the sake of melodrama.

It worked in Hero, but that movie is in a league of its own IMO.

TheGrimReaper

I wasn't impressed with the overall quality of the movie, after seeing Hero I assumed that this movie will be worth watching, but it left me just empty and not touched at all. I'm not being cold hearted it's just was a way too melodramatical to me :) And anyway I'm not a big fan of wuxia pien films, so probably that's the case here too, I prefer to watch any old school kung fu movie as opposed to a wuxia pien. My opinion no hard feelings to all period dramas fans :) Indeed Hero & CTHD were very good movies, but apart from them HOFD is just good excercise in filmmaking by Zhang Yimou.

Archived