Chinatown Kid and 5 Element Ninja

Elaquent

whattup kff? miss me?

Chen Zhen reporting here...

haha its been quite a while since ive posted on here....after falling off the wagon, ive started to get my love for kungfu back...just watched a few movies that i thought i'd share my thoughts on..

so after much much delays, i finally decided to check out Chinatown Kid and Chinese Super Ninjas....2 movies that have been hyped up considerably by fanboys all over...especially the latter.

Chinatown Kid was a MUCH better movie than in was expecting. felt very very similar to Boxer from Shantung if you ask me....the whole rise and then fall....i pretty much predicted half the events in the movie before they happened...but that doesnt take away from the movie much. this is the first modern day SB film i think ive seen, it was refreshing to see a city atmosphere, and not those painted clouds and fake looking sets lol (as many of yall kno...i was really never crazy about SB sets..)..the kung fu was really good, and not very dance-like like other venoms flicks, felt real enuff. didnt like how lo meng went out, oh well. fu sheng is a great lead with really good charsima. wish Wang Lung Wei wouldve lived up to the end of the movie....and in typical venoms fashion, Sun Chien was pretty much wasted....

nevertheless, a good modern actioner that is recommended. 7.5/10

now Chinese Super Ninjas/5 Element Ninja is a movie that ive stayed far away from for years now....just seemed like a really corny lookin movie to me...but i guess the phrase 'dont judge a book by its cover' holds weight. this movie was effin insane! the story is as basic as a classic kung fu movie comes, but its a WILD ride while it lasts....all of the ninja traps and stealth moves were super cool to watch...u never really knew where they were comin from until it was too late...adn boy is this movie violent...this has to be the most violent chang cheh movie ive seen...adn thats sayin alot haha....but gore aside, the fights were really energetic and exciting, and the ninja angle give it a great refreshing feel. cant wait to see this widescreen..

8.5/10

next review: Avenging Eagle

holla!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
vengeanceofhumanlanterns

welcome back brother. nice to hear you fell off the wagon too. good man. I guess the chinatown kid IVL version has an alternate ending as opposed to the english dubbed boot that's been out for years. I don't I haven't seen the IVL version yet. I'll have to check it out soon.

no doubt homie, glad to be back. i saw the eng dub boot...can anyone fill me in on the difference(s) between the 2 versions?

prolly the fact that the ivl version is not cropped. I cant comment on anything else. Wait for the media blasters version to come out. ive held out on buying the ivl version specifically for that

dope...didnt kno media blasters is releasing it....does it include the english dub?

assuming it is (and w/s of course), i'll be all over that release

Welcome back bro, I've only watched the English version of Chinatown Kid but I think he lives and gets arrested in the alternative version, I have to agree Lo Mang's character was pretty weak, they could of(shoulda) made him tougher since he was the leader of a gang, seems he was only there to flex those muscles:rolleyes:, but hey this was a Fu Sheng movie.

I haven't seen 5 Element Ninjas for some time, need to get the IVL version soon so I can bask in it's remastered bloody goodness.

There are other differences in the HK disc of CHINATOWN KID aside from the ending. There are several different scenes and massive cutting (or butchering) of whole sequences. The Southgate widescreen VHS runs somwhere around 114 or 115 minutes (haven't seen it in years) while the IVL disc runs 86 minutes.

Archived