Stranger from Canton

shukocarl

Stranger from Canton was originally refused a certificate by the BBFC in the 70's. It did (I think) creep out on video in the early 80's (before the VRA of 1984). Has anyone seen it? Why was it 'banned'? Anyone know? Is it out on dvd?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ironfistedmonk

Crash released this, I can't remember too much about it but I think it was a Ming vs Ching story, it's a basher and I think Kao Kang is the main villain who fights with a hidden blade in his que.

Stranger From Canton,Trail Of The Dragon and Action Tae Kwando seem to have something in common.Stranger From Canton was a big big hit released in the early 70s in my neck of the woods that made Pai Piao a household name.It was very violent for it's day with magnificent fighting foley sound though not too bloody.Ironfistedmonk has already given a hint about the movie which has a revolutionary subject matter.

Maybe the BBFC were against the lethal blades in the pony tail which is the secret weapon of the main villian Kao Kang and one of the highlights of the movie;and perhaps they also did not like the sheer brute force of the realistic fights.

VPD ( Video Programme Distributors )released this movie in the UK sometime in the 80s.The original theatrical poster is a close up of Kao Kang's deadly pony tail wrapped around Pai Piao's neck who then grabs the hair in a pose as if to prevent the weapon from doing damage,free himself from the lock and yank it off.

Sorry, misread the post- gave you a link for the wrong movie.This came out on vcd- it is a pretty brutal movie for that period- pretty intense claustrophobic feel.

kungfusamurai

I remember trying to buy Stranger From Canton on VCD a few years ago from Buyoyo, and the movie on the discs was some drama, not the kung fu movie. Pissed me off. Oh well. Just a heads-up if anyone is trying to buy the chinese/HK VCD.

KFS

Stranger From Canton is also known as Karate Killer in some territories.Shukocarl bear in mind that this film could be badly dated by now and may not live up to expectation.Another point to note would be the availability of a " decent " print in existence that could do justice to the original intention of the film-makers.

Killer Meteor

the torture of the kid early in this flick is quite f*cked up. What kind of director does that? (besides Victor Salva)

Archived