Shaw Actors Who Had More Success After Shaw Bros Ended

kungfusamurai

kungfusamurai

Who do you guys feel had continued or even better success after leaving Shaw studios. I find a lot of Shaw actors seemed to disappear into oblivion when they left the studio or when it folded. Most of the Venoms are good examples of former Shaw stars who disappeared once they left Shaw Bros.

Actors and Actresses who seemed to do even better after Shaws:

Kara Hui

Norman Tsui

Danny Lee

Chin Siu Ho

Max Mok

Dick Wei

Yuen Wah (I was surprised at how many Shaw films he was in)

Lam Chin Ying

Fung Hak On

Leung Kar Yan

Actors and Actresses who weren't huge, but got good work after Shaws:

David Chiang

Ti Lung

Yuen Tak

Kuo Chui

Lo Lieh

Others?

KFS

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, Chin Siu Ho's career never really took off during or after Shaw Brothers. He was known but he was never considered famous. Not in the same breadth of say Ti Lung or Chen Kuan Ti for example.

Also, I'd say Ti Lung's career got renewed interest equal to his Shaw days after his John Woo pictures. David Chiang seemed to lose his steam, though.

Yuen Wah and Yuen Tak I'd say just got constant steady work both behind and in front with nothing really changing from when they were at Shaw's.

Kuo Chui seemed to get more popular although behind the camera becoming a sought after choreographer.

Feng Ko An didn't seem to do anything any more different than he did for Shaw's as he still played numerous villain roles some bigger than others. About the only difference is that he went from one major studio to the next becoming one of JCs team.

Pan Ying-tze was just a starlet at Shaws, her claim to fame being the actress who chopped off Jimmy Wang Yu's arm in The One-Armed Swordsman. But in Taiwan, she became a major actress years later.

Petrina Fung Po-po was just a child actress at Shaws with roles in Pink Tears and the trilogy of Red Lotus movies. But she scored big on TV as Emptress Wu and that is the role she is remembered by today.

Helen Ma was a bit actress, sometimes with no speaking lines in many wu xia. But she hit it big in The Deaf Mute Heroine, a role which has ensured her steady work on TVB till today.

theportlykicker
Yuen Wah and Yuen Tak I'd say just got constant steady work both behind and in front with nothing really changing from when they were at Shaw's.

Don't forget, Yuen Wah became something of a star just recently after winning the best supporting actor award at the Hong Kong Film Awards for his role in Kung Fu Hustle.

Don't forget, Yuen Wah became something of a star just recently after winning the best supporting actor award at the Hong Kong Film Awards for his role in Kung Fu Hustle.

I thought he was just nominated? Awesome, though if he did win. I haven't kept up with HK cinema that much over the last couple of years. Wasn't there a "sequel" of sorts featuring Yuen Wah and the landlady? She was busted for real not long after for gambling.

I would say to us faithful fans Yuen Wah has never lost steam. He's one of the best bad guys in the history of martial arts movies and I dare say a good actor as well for the variety of stuff he has done. He was great in Kung Fu Hustle.

Chen Kuan-Tai would go on to play in mainly Triad films but mostly as a benevolent boss. He also recently appeared in Dragon Tiger Gate but a film I have where he was a kind hearted gangster was the B-movie The Final Winner (2001).

As for venoms5' question, there wasn't really a sequel, but they both appeared in a movie called Kung Fu Mahjong and it was made to capitalize on their successful roles in KFH. Yuen Qiu played the mentor to the main character while Yuen Wah played a debt ridden loser who uses the main character's memory skills to his advantage.

For those who do have interest in KFM, there is a funny fight scene that spoofs the Kill Bill Vol. 1 finale with Yuen Qiu wearing the yellow track suit and fighting a bunch of Crazy 88's wannabes, led by Stephen Chow staple star Lee Kin-Yan (he always played the woman who looked like a man in some of Chow's films).

Two former Shaw stars would disappear but they would have offspring who became very popular in Hong Kong movies.

One is Sek Yin, or Julie Sek. Her son is none other than Stephen Fung, singer/actor/director. Everyone knows of his work as director in Enter the Phoenix and House of Fury.

The second is Hu Yan-Lei, or Jenny Hu. I have one Shaws film with her, Torrent of Desire. Her son is Terence Yin, actor who appears in many of Jackie Chan's films today and is a member of the boy band ALIVE, with Daniel Wu, Andrew Lin, and Conroy Chan.

Meng Fei seemed to get more roles after he left shaws. Wilson Tong got more control as coreographer and actor after he left shaws.

wudangimmortal

whatever happen to pei ti (booi dai)? she was in movies like iron bodyguard, intimate confessions of a courtesan, clans of intrigue.

Pei Ti has been on my satellite TV these few days discussing Lydia's death. Although she is well groomed, few will recognize her today if the hosts do not announce it is her. She seems to have changed in appearance especially around the eye area. Today, she seems to have trouble opening her eyes wide. She is also apparently wearing a new set of dentures.

Archived