The Legend of Bruce Lee [TV Series]

Guest Daisho2004

When I first saw Shaolin Soccer and saw Danny looking like Bruce Lee, I was in complete shock.

I got the very same feeling the first time I saw Shaolin Soccer.

... I also heard he is a dance teacher and was responsible for choreographing the "Thriller"-like sequence of Shaolin Soccer and the opening Axe Gang dance in Kung Fu Hustle.

All the more reason to get a great Choreographer, train the guy, and re-film G.O.D. with him playing Lee's role, and finding a Chieh Yuen and James Chien Look-a-like. His dancer's pedigree should really help with Lee-like footwork, seeing that mostly all who've attempted to play the screen star had trouble with that. We can dream, right? I mean there have been noted dancers from the past who've gone on to much success without any real knowledge of the Martial Arts, right, Mr. Carradine?

:D

Righteous Master

All the more reason to get a great Choreographer, train the guy, and re-film G.O.D. with him playing Lee's role, and finding a Chieh Yuen and James Chien Look-a-like. His dancer's pedigree should really help with Lee-like footwork, seeing that mostly all who've attempted to play the screen star had trouble with that. We can dream, right? I mean there have been noted dancers from the past who've gone on to much success without any real knowledge of the Martial Arts, right, Mr. Carradine?

This is a sweet idea Dragon. I would love to see Danny play Bruce in a Game of Death remake. I have yet to watch Shaolin Soccer. I think I better watch this one so I can see Danny playing a Bruce character.

[Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dragon

This is a sweet idea Dragon. I would love to see Danny play Bruce in a Game of Death remake. I have yet to watch Shaolin Soccer. I think I better watch this one so I can see Danny playing a Bruce character.

Is Danny sometimes known as Johnny Kwan? Also, if Bey Logan wrote a book called "Hong Kong Action Cinema", then didn't that book say that Brandon wanted to use his dad's notes and then produce and star in a real "Game of Death" movie?

In case you didn't know, Danny appeared in the L.A. area(Pasadena) at around last September and gave a short kung fu demonstration during a Chinese stage show.

If actor Ray Park("Star Wars Episode 1", "X-Men") is a co-star of "The Legend of Bruce Lee", then I'll try to ask him about "TLoBL" during Ray's appearance at this month's Wizard World L.A. convention. I guess that I'll also ask Ray if there's still going to be an "Iron Fist" movie, and if he's going to play that Marvel Comics character.

I'm more interested in the recently released HKTVB DVD Boxset that looks like it might well feature Bruce Lee's appearances and Demonstrations on!

Is there someway to get more info about that DVD boxset, fabhui? Do you think that Nora Miao might appear in that boxset?

Is Danny sometimes known as Johnny Kwan? Also, if Bey Logan wrote a book called "Hong Kong Action Cinema", then didn't that book say that Brandon wanted to use his dad's notes and then produce and star in a real "Game of Death" movie?

I have that book right in front of me and I checked it out wackie. It didn't say anything about Brandon wanting to make a real Game of Death movie, but it did say that Bolo Yeung's dream project is to make a sequel to Enter the Dragon with himself in the lead role.

This was all in the chapter on Bruce Lee.

I had gotten the book for my 18th birthday...and this was 11 years ago. I believe the book is now OOP.

If actor Ray Park("Star Wars Episode 1", "X-Men") is a co-star of "The Legend of Bruce Lee", then I'll try to ask him about "TLoBL" during Ray's appearance at this month's Wizard World L.A. convention. I guess that I'll also ask Ray if there's still going to be an "Iron Fist" movie, and if he's going to play that Marvel Comics character.

He definitely IS in it. Apparantly, he is playing Chuck Norris. The trailer shows the two sparring in a gym I believe. It says he plays Chuck Norris, but I'm not sure this is true. Well, we'll see.

Chinatown Kid

I'm really looking forward to seeing Danny play Bruce, I just hope his Martial Arts skill is as good as his likeness to Bruce.

Righteous Master
I'm really looking forward to seeing Danny play Bruce, I just hope his Martial Arts skill is as good as his likeness to Bruce.

That would be nice.

Because he's a dancer, I'm willing to give him a pass on his MA expertise. I mean who out there is close to Lee in that department anyway? As long as he represents himself adequately, I'm certain the accolades will come. He's probably the best thing going today, if ever, simply because he's had the opportunity to see the terrible others who came before, and the dilligence he showed when vying for the role. The man totally transformed his physique to play Bruce, and his hard work paid tremendous dividends. Look at Shaolin Soccer and view him in these Trailers for the series, he doesn't even look like Danny Chan anymore, he looks like Bruce Lee, only slightly taller.

Righteous Master

I REALLY need to watch Shaolin Soccer. I would like to see the changes in Danny's build and generally how he plays a Bruce character.

Mark Pollard

A six-minute trailer for China Central Television’s (CCTV) upcoming Bruce Lee biopic miniseries, THE LEGEND OF BRUCE LEE, has landed on Youtube. Footage shows KUNG FU HUSTLE star Chan Kwok-kwan and a familiar cast of Western genre talent including Mark Dacascos fighting with exaggerated direction certain to cause controversy among Bruce Lee fans.

More...

I know that this is on the Main page of the site when we log on but I thought I'd like to hear what everyone has to say about it. I for one think it looks OK, but it won't be until we see it to really be able to make a good judgement on the movie. I just hope that Chan Kwok-kwan really does Bruce justice in portraying him.

A six-minute trailer for China Central Television’s (CCTV) upcoming Bruce Lee biopic miniseries, THE LEGEND OF BRUCE LEE, has landed on Youtube. Footage shows KUNG FU HUSTLE star Chan Kwok-kwan and a familiar cast of Western genre talent including Mark Dacascos fighting with exaggerated direction certain to cause controversy among Bruce Lee fans.

I’d say they put the show’s $6.4 million budget to good use. Production look very good by Chinese television standards and as an action series in general, it actually looks promising. What may draw the most heat from fans is what appears to be highly stylized action that makes liberal use of wirework to enhance Chan’s physical performance.

Like Lee, Chan has a background in dance but not in martial arts. He’s been training to some extent at least as far back as when Stephen Chow cast him as a Bruce Lee look-a-like goalie in SHAOLIN SOCCER (2001). Chan may be relying on artifice for his screen fighting but he needs no help in looking the part. There have been dozens of actors who have been cast in the mold of Bruce Lee, even superstars Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen have taken their turn. I’d wager that Chan Kwok-kwan has nearly all of them beat on looks.

The 40-episode series is the latest attempt, among many since Bruce Lee’s death in 1973, to dramatize his life on screen. In addition to featuring Dacascos, who plays a Thai fighter, the cast includes Ray Park (STAR WARS 1 - THE PHANTOM MENACE) as Chuck Norris, Michael Jai White (UNDISPUTED 2) as Ali, prolific B-movie star Gary Daniels (CITY HUNTER), and former pro-wrestler Ernest “The Cat” Miller.

At first glance, I thought Dacascos might have been playing Dan Inosanto but I guess a nameless Tony Jaa-like character was their aim. A potentially good casting choice is White who I presume to be Mohammad Ali. White gave a solid performance as a heavyweight boxer in UNDISPUTED 2.

THE LEGEND OF BRUCE LEE began production in April of 2007 and is scheduled to begin airing in China later this year, in time for the Beijing Olympics.

Trailer:

http://www.kungfucinema.com/?p=1323

Shaolindogma

Wow, i was blown away by the trailer. I can't wait to get my hands on this.

Who cares if they use a little wire work and stylized fighting, it looks amazing. If the technology is out there to make an outstanding series like this, use it. Especially if it glorifies one of our heroes.

There are alot of very hardcore Bruce fans out there who aren't going to like it because:

1. Bruce Lee isn't in it

2. There isn't any "real" fighting

Hey, there will never be another Bruce Lee. And if a company spends 6 million on a series about Bruce... thats good enough homage for me. The series is going to be solid, IMHO.

Hey, there will never be another Bruce Lee.

So true.

"... if a company spends 6 million on a series about Bruce... thats good enough homage for me".

The money behind the project speaks volumes. We should expect at least something better than the old Bruce Li fare from the mid

70's. I'm still mad as hell about Dragon: The Linda Lee Story. This may turn out to be it's spinoff- The Legend of Linda Lee's 'Recollection' of Bruce Lee.

I too am a huge fan of Bruce Lee's but realized long ago that not everyone is, no biggie. I enjoy all of his contributions and that's what matters to me, I'm not trying to convince anyone else to share my feelings. Different strokes for different folks, etc. It's what makes the world go round. This is why I avoid the debates.

I'm looking forward to the tv series and I'm sure I'll find some enjoyment out of it, just like most of the projects on Lee, even the Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story film. I appreciate all current efforts from books, films, tv series on Lee. It introduces him to new audiences and keeps his legacy alive and active. There will never be "another" Bruce Lee, every person is unique. If I want to see Bruce, I'll watch one of his films, tv shows or documentaries containing footage on him, or wait on these newly discovered/released never before seen footage that seem to pop out every so often to get us drooling! I'm guilty of that, and it's all good! Bruce was the man, a man (human like us), made his mark, passed away, and has left a legacy in film and martial arts. I'm content.

Guest mattrobinsgsy
I'm a massive Bruce Lee admirer and I mean MASSIVE!!

But I'm not bothered a bit about this series. I've seen the trailer and it's not at all what I was hoping for.

I'm more interested in the recently released HKTVB DVD Boxset that looks like it might well feature Bruce Lee's appearances and Demonstrations on!

hi there how are ?

i'm new to this forum and it caught my eye when you mentioned about the just released hk-tvb dvd box set and that it may contain the bruce lee appearences.where did you see or hear about this? because i would love to get hold of that.

many thanks take care all the very best. matt.

peace 'n' respect !

hi there how are ?

i'm new to this forum and it caught my eye when you mentioned about the just released hk-tvb dvd box set and that it may contain the bruce lee appearences.where did you see or hear about this? because i would love to get hold of that.

many thanks take care all the very best. matt.

peace 'n' respect !

Here's a link to the boxset available from yesasia:

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-c/section-videos/pid-1005065406/

There's a pic on the cover of Bruce doing the famous board breaking demo (2nd pic down on the far left)

Im sure the clips on the boxset are the same of him breaking boards that have been doing the rounds for years. If it had more im sure we would have heard by now.

My cousin spoke to the guy that co-hosted the TVB Lee interviews back in the early 70's and he said the footage of Bruce was lost. I find that hard to believe as TVB / Shaws always kept there stuff pretty well.

Blu ray HD Bargains ..Click Here!

Coliseum1972

It's always about the money , if TVB is offered some serious coin then they suddenly find the footage : money talks , bs walks.

There was rumour that a Japanese collector did just that and bought the footage.

Its the lost Lee footage that i would most like to see as its him being himself.

Blu Ray dvd's AMAZING PRICES..CLICK HERE!

it sounds like CCTV is going to start showing "Legend of bruce lee' shortly after the Olympics, and hopefully HK TV will be screening it shortly after and there should be a DVD box set before Christmas..hopefully someone will pick this up for international release