The Legend of Bruce Lee [TV Series]

Guest Daisho2004

Guest Daisho2004

News | TV | by Mark Pollard | 2007.08.17

China’s state-run broadcaster CCTV is producing THE LEGEND OF BRUCE LEE, a 40-part television series on the life of Bruce Lee. Filming, which began back in April on the $6.4 million dollar series, is taking place in Hong Kong and the U.S.

At one point Taiwanese pop idol and actor Jay Chou (INITIAL D) had been in the running for the lead role but it ultimately went to dance instructor-turned-actor Chan Kwok-Kwan (KUNG FU HUSTLE).

“I’m nervous and also excited, but I will do my best,†stated Chan when speaking to Chinese media. He added that Lee has been his role model since childhood and he has been practicing kung fu for many years.

Chan was originally discovered by Stephen Chow, who had hired him to choreograph a dance sequence for SHAOLIN SOCCER. Chow ended up putting him into the role of a Bruce Lee-like goalie based on Chan’s resemblance to the late martial arts icon.

Unlike most Chinese-produced TV series, this one is being produced with an international audience in mind. A teaser poster (see left) that is circulating on the net shows recognizable international martial arts stars Mark Dacascos, Michael Jai White, Ray Park, and Gary Daniels as part of the cast.

CCTV is planning to air the series in 2008.

081701.jpg

Guest Yi Long

Looks promising. The Bruce Lee guy has really makes sure his physique looks as impressively simular as his head. :)

I do hope they'll bother releasing this on DVD with english subs. It still aches me that the Yuen Biao martial arts series are without them :(

Guest stormybman

This guy looks so much like Bruce, it's unreal. I can tell you one thing, when he was in Shaolin Soccer, his physique was nowhere nearly as tuned as it is on this poster. The guy was skin and bones. Kudos for him applying a serious approach to the role and it also shows the respect and commitment he has for Bruce Lee.

Btw, I heard that he even took up learning from JKD instructors and sent tapes of his workouts to the Lee family, before winning the lead. :)

"Does the name, Wu mean anything?"

Guest monk sante

OMG this looks good! Can't believe the resemblance, can't wait. By the way isn't there a movie in the works as well? They should stay with the same actor for the part. :D

Guest TheDrunkenRabbit

Wow,can't wait to see it. The story looks SUPER hammed up though, And is the old guy with the beard suppose to be Yip Man? I've read all of Bruce Lee's books and bios and it was knowledgeable Talking to some of his students. There is enough interesting things in his life to make a great movie and doesn't need to be fictionalized so much.Looking forward to see the show anyways. It's ok to show both sides of the story like Myths and legends, but also documented facts.

Guest Yi Long

Looks like crap. Sadly. I was looking forward to this. The potential was all there. Could be partly because of the horribly edited trailer and 'after effects' thrown in.

For now, I'd rather buy the Yuen Biao series.

Guest Chinatown Kid

The fights look a little iffy to me and I wish they didn't have the wirework in it, but it still looks like it will be entertaining and this guy looks the closest to Bruce out of all the imitators I've seen. He seems to have his mannerisms down pat as well. Being a big fan of Lee I'll definately pick this up when it comes out on DVD.

... I'm chomping at the bit to see this series with Danny Chan stepping up playing our hero. I wish Hollywood would have selected him for an unauthorized version on the Kung Fu icon's life. His appearance alone would be worth the price of admission.

Tell me, what do You All think...

DCasBLWOW.jpg

:D

Righteous Master

I have seen several pictures of Danny in this series before, but this picture really looks like Bruce Lee. Not perfect but very close. I image that this DVD set will not become avaiable for a long time and will cost big bucks. I hope at the very least that we will get a condensed Tai Seng version of this series.

While he looks great in the series and i loved him in Shaolin Soccer im not too sure about this version of Lee's life, from the trailers it looks like a lot of fictional bullshit has been added which is strange as his real life story is fascinating enough.

We shall see and im hoping its worth the wait.

bruceleeclones

Yeah i kinda find it silly that the makers think the only way people would know that they are watching a life story of Bruce Lee is to have him fight in the same way that we see him fight in his movies, and add all these made up over the top battles. I'm sure if or when Bruce would have had a real life fight, it would look nothing like what we see in the movies.

I can understand the film makers point of view, they are thinking of the audience that will be wanting to see the Bruce Lee we all know. I just think it would be more interesting to see Bruce as a normal person, as cheesy as it sounds, see the man and not just the legend, and i dont mean the romanticised version we see in Dragon.

In the 70's when the Bruce Clones were making movies, mistakes about his life could be forgiven but in 2007/8, there is no excuses for getting it wrong about him.

Yeah... I can understand the film makers point of view, they are thinking of the audience that will be wanting to see the Bruce Lee we all know... In the 70's when the Bruce Clones were making movies, mistakes about his life could be forgiven but in 2007/8, there is no excuses for getting it wrong about him.

BLClones, I couldn't agree with you more! The romanticizing of the story has to come from Linda Lee... Anything questionable about his character, or darkness to his life's image will not be allowed, and I do not understand the thinking behind this. The man has been dead over 30yrs. and she's treating his story as if he was infallable. A shame too because I think he'd win even more fans if the mystery was stripped away for reality.

But, you've got to admit, Danny makes one hell of a Bruce!:cool:

... All these professed Lee fans, and only four comments here? Nobody seems to share my love for The Dragon on this site, man. You guys will chat Shaws sun up to sundown, but no play for Bruce.:(

I can talk Kung Fu Movies with anyone, but are so many so single minded? Maybe I should start a new thread about Lo Mang, The Kissing Venom?

Righteous Master

I am with you Dragon,I love watching Bruce Lee in action. There was/currently is nobody fiercer! Bruce Lee could take anybody in the past or current MA scene in a real street fight anyday.

BTW, I also think that a movie about the real Bruce Lee should be made. I imagine many are too afraid of the major law suits that Linda would bring forward.

It does seem kind of strange that Bruce Lee is not mentioned more often on these forums.

Dragon, what percentage of Unsettled Matters do you believe to be true? Also, did you get a chance to read the two left out chapters of Unsettled Matters about Brandon and the authors trip to China? I personally feel that most of what is written is probably fact. I was blown away while and after I finished reading that book. The book made me think differently about Bruce, but not in a negative way. I still think that Bruce was/is amazing. Keep posting new threads about the real master.

I'm a massive Bruce Lee admirer and I mean MASSIVE!!

But I'm not bothered a bit about this series. I've seen the trailer and it's not at all what I was hoping for.

I'm more interested in the recently released HKTVB DVD Boxset that looks like it might well feature Bruce Lee's appearances and Demonstrations on!

I am with you Dragon,I love watching Bruce Lee in action. There was/currently is nobody fiercer! Bruce Lee could take anybody in the past or current MA scene in a real street fight anyday.

That's what I'm talking, RM!:)

BTW' date=' I also think that a movie about the real Bruce Lee should be made.[/quote']

True. Although I am totally aware this is another watered down, fictionalized, dramatization of Lee's life, I still look forward to any revelations that may still spur further insight into this man we never knew, or got to know.

It seems to me many are victims of the commercialization of his image Bleecker spoke about in his book, and the images of current film stars who wouldn't even be here today if not for the doors Lee kicked open.I recently reviewed Fist of Fury and though I've seen this film dozens of times, I still marvel at his choreography, timing, pacing, and charisma, the Bob Baker fight being a prime example.:eek:

When I first saw Shaolin Soccer and saw Danny looking like Bruce Lee, I was in complete shock. I was like OMG, this guy looks just like Bruce Lee and I don't mean any Lee-alike...I mean the real deal. Makes me wonder why he wasn't discovered sooner. Then I also heard he is a dance teacher and was responsible for choreographing the "Thriller"-like sequence of Shaolin Soccer and the opening Axe Gang dance in Kung Fu Hustle.