Game of Death: Game Over! - New book on GOD by best-selling author Joe Kenney

Guest mpm74

Son Of A Gun

Footage of the log fight apparently appeared in an early cinema print of "The Man the Legend" documentary, but was later removed. So whoever has a copy of that print may still have a section of that log fight. I believe it's still around somewhere in various forms and lengths.

It's the outdoor training footage we wanna see. Even if Bruce is in it for a millisecond, atleast it will be something new. I'm sure Bruce must have stepped in front of the camera to direct while the camera was still running at some point.

Footage of the log fight apparently appeared in an early cinema print of "The Man the Legend" documentary, but was later removed. So whoever has a copy of that print may still have a section of that log fight. I believe it's still around somewhere in various forms and lengths.

It's the outdoor training footage we wanna see. Even if Bruce is in it for a millisecond, atleast it will be something new. I'm sure Bruce must have stepped in front of the camera to direct while the camera was still running at some point.

I'll believe it when I see it lol.

You make a good point if the rushes from the outdoor scenes are still kicking about then Bruce could be on there.

What SHOULD have happened is all the indoor/outdoor footage and Enter outtakes (used in GOD II) should have been somehow incorporated in a truly awesome version of Game of Death. It seems Raymand Chow couldn't be arsed to ask Linda Lee for Bruce's editing notes.

The Enter clips could have explained the following (from the original story):

Lee visits Monk (his Sifu/father) before meeting the gang who kidnapped his sister

Lee talks to his sister -held hostage(double for Betty Chung)

Lee enters room of Gang's HQ

Lee watches outdoor footage of fighters (close-ups from Enter office scene)

Full indoor combat scenes.

Joseph Koo to do the music (in the same vein as Way of the Dragon)

What SHOULD have happened is all the indoor/outdoor footage and Enter outtakes (used in GOD II) should have been somehow incorporated in a truly awesome version of Game of Death. It seems Raymand Chow couldn't be arsed to ask Linda Lee for Bruce's editing notes.

Lee visits Monk (his Sifu/father) before meeting the gang who kidnapped his sister

Without doubt the best idea I have ever hear regards the 1972 Game of Death! Brilliant!

Without doubt the best idea I have ever hear regards the 1972 Game of Death! Brilliant!

I agree with you there mate....Carl has come up with a fantastic idea :bigsmile:

Golden Arm Kid

The day I saw the lost G.O.D footage that was widely available in Warrior's Journey and Bruce Lee in G.O.D I wondered myself why Chow and Clouse couldn't be bothered to stay true to what we know of Bruce's concept (much like your idea) and instead completely bastardize his movie imo.

I agree with you there mate....Carl has come up with a fantastic idea :bigsmile:

Someone clever (with the right technology) could do this and (maybe) even incorporate some of Clouse's footage - the great 'locker room' fight (minus the repeated head kick sequence), the opening/closing titles....here's my idea (Copyright Carl Jones 2011:bigsmile:):

Clouse opening titles, finishes on a freeze frame of Bruce to fadeout.....

Lee at airport (Way footage).....gets called away to phone. Lee double told his sister is kidnapped,

Lee speaks to the Monk...who tells him a man will call him (very minimal re-dub).

Lee is called by phone (Way footage) to meet Carl Miller (voice over)

Lee meets Miller (new dialogue)....something like "Help us get the Pagoda treasure or you won't leave alive"...fight scene....Lee escapes.

Lee double meets Wong Jang Lee (GOD II scene redubbed) who tells him to co-operate or he and his sister will be killed and to go to the Gang's HQ.

Lee double meets crime boss (John Little footage) and sees 'Outdoor training footage and footage of Pagoda).

Lee goes to his room (from Enter outtake/GOD II scene) and visits sister (re-dub of Enter Outtake/GOD II scene).

Visit to sanatarium (John Little footage) to see Hakim's 'survivor.

Training footage- taunts by James Tien's character (John Little footage)

Trip to Pagoda (John Litte footage)

Battle outside (difficult one this...Minimal footage from Enter the Game of Death?)

FULL INSIDE FOOTAGE including all dialogue

Footage of Police cars arriving( Big Boss?)

Lee staggers down stairs for the last time...

End titles.....

Golden Arm Kid
Someone clever (with the right technology) could do this and (maybe) even incorporate some of Clouse's footage - the great 'locker room' fight (minus the repeated head kick sequence), the opening/closing titles....here's my idea (Copyright Carl Jones 2011:bigsmile:):

Clouse opening titles, finishes on a freeze frame of Bruce to fadeout.....

Lee at airport (Way footage).....gets called away to phone. Lee double told his sister is kidnapped,

Lee speaks to the Monk...who tells him a man will call him (very minimal re-dub).

Lee is called by phone (Way footage) to meet Carl Miller (voice over)

Lee meets Miller (new dialogue)....something like "Help us get the Pagoda treasure or you won't leave alive"...fight scene....Lee escapes.

Lee double meets Wong Jang Lee (GOD II scene redubbed) who tells him to co-operate or he and his sister will be killed and to go to the Gang's HQ.

Lee double meets crime boss (John Little footage) and sees 'Outdoor training footage and footage of Pagoda).

Lee goes to his room (from Enter outtake/GOD II scene) and visits sister (re-dub of Enter Outtake/GOD II scene).

Visit to sanatarium (John Little footage) to see Hakim's 'survivor.

Training footage- taunts by James Tien's character (John Little footage)

Trip to Pagoda (John Litte footage)

Battle outside (difficult one this...Minimal footage from Enter the Game of Death?)

FULL INSIDE FOOTAGE including all dialogue

Footage of Police cars arriving( Big Boss?)

Lee staggers down stairs for the last time...

End titles.....

I like this idea but I think that for the outside battle should just be shot for the film and not use archive footage or otherwise.

Also when you say full inside footage I assume you mean of the last 3 floors? According to Bruce's notes the final roster of guardians/floors looked a lot like this (not that all of you don't know but I'll post it for visual purposes)

1st-Whang In Sik (Kicking Style)

2nd-Taky Kimura (Praying Mantis Gung Fu)

3rd-Dan Inosanto (Escrima/Filipino Style)

4th-Ji Han Jae (Hapkido)

5th-Kareem Abdul Jabbar (Jeet Kune Do)

6th-Treasure

Now I was just watching Curse of the Dragon (or some other documentary. Idk it was one of the ones on the Enter the Dragon Blu Ray I own) and Dan Inosanto said that Bruce had a group of Karateka on the first floor and 5-7 Gung Fu men on the second floor (each of a different style).

SO. My take considering any information I know of the actual GOD plot:

-Bruce approaches or enters the pagoda holding his nunchaku case IN HIS HAND or one of his company holding it for him.

-A large squad of Karateka either guard the outside of the pagoda OR they guard the first floor along with Whang In Sik. If the latter, Bruce and Co. defeat the karateka and fight Whang last. I always kind of imagine this floor as being very reminiscent of the Fist of Fury dojo scene lol

-2nd floor goes similar to the 1st floor. There are 5-7 Gung Fu men of different styles along with Taky Kimura. Bruce and Co. defeat the initial Gung Fu men and fight Taky Kimura last. The remainder of Bruce's company head upstairs to face Dan Inosanto's floor. The scenery of the second floor is almost the theme of a bamboo thicket of green color. Bruce observes the bamboo around the 2nd floor and gets an idea. He takes one stick of bamboo (by this time Bruce is in possession of his nunchaku case/bag). He bends it around and observes it. With this he slings his nunchaku case on the bamboo and slings the bamboo over his shoulder. The movie then cuts to Chien Yuan and James Tien gettin whooped by Dan like we've already seen including Dan's "Dance of Death" technique on Chien. Then everything proceeds like we've already seen from lost G.O.D. footage and Bruce comes up the stairs to the third floor.

-NOTE: Both Whang and Taky sit out of the fight on their floors until Bruce and Co. take out the initial enforcers

-Somewhere along the 1st and 2nd floor the guardians defeat/kill enough of Bruce's company so obviously by the 3rd floor (Dan's floor) Bruce, Chien Yuan, and James Tien are the last men standing of their troupe. Then everything proceeds like the G.O.D lost footage we already have.

Imo I would use NONE of the 1978 G.O.D footage in an "ultimate finishing" or remake of G.O.D. unless it was completely necessary or extremely useful. I'd have everything needed shot from scratch with stand ins. Bruce's only fight scenes in the movie would be against possibly an outdoor fight scene of some sort (like from the pictures we've seen), some fight scene on the outside of the pagoda with a large group of karateka led by a Bolo-esque karate muscle man character, and of course the pagoda scenes.

Also I never understood why so many people get confused with Kareem's eyes in the original G.O.D. footage. Or at least in the parts/version where they look slitted like a snake or a DRAGON.

I think people take that too literally like "Oh his eyes are physically different so he must not be human".

I have a very different opinion. In Bruce's notes I believe it has been stated that Kareem's character (dubbed "Mantis") is somewhat of a legend. He;s the pit of every child and martial artist's nightmares from what I understand. The character is introduced by Bruce's sister in a brief recollection of the tale/description of the legend and/or character. I believe that the dragon/slitted eyes thing was meant to be metaphorical. I could easily see Bruce's sister's character describing Mantis as rumored to having "an inner dragon" or "spirit of the dragon" or something metaphorical like that (of course I was just using examples. I'm sure Bruce came or could come up with something a lot less cheesy than that lol). The slitted eyes were imo just a way to emphasize on that metaphor.

Son Of A Gun

He filmed the pagoda footage starting from the 3rd floor up, right? Yet he was supposed to have fought 2 battles on the previous 2 floors? But when he comes up to Dan Inasanto's floor (3rd) he has no visible bruises, scrapes, or blood on his face and doesn't appear to be sweating atall.

I guess the fights he had on floor's 1 and 2 were pretty easy for him then. 'lol He barely did anything and they all fell to the ground. Unless it was James Tien and Chieh Yuan that did most of the work on those 2 floors?

Golden Arm Kid

Idk how true this is but I heard (actually from these forums) that there is DEFINITELY more G.O.D footage in the Golden Harvest (or whoever owns the rights to G.O.D) vaults. The same guy (a "mole" at Golden Harvest) that leaked all the info, stills, and full blown out film (shown for a VERY brief time at a foreign festival in 1978) whatnot from the original Mandarin cut of The Big Boss went out on a limb and confirmed this. He was supposed to leak that out as well but I believe that's around the time Golden Harvest crumbled and he was out of a job/didn't work there anymore.

A damn shame...

Golden Arm Kid
He filmed the pagoda footage starting from the 3rd floor up, right? Yet he was supposed to have fought 2 battles on the previous 2 floors? But when he comes up to Dan Inasanto's floor (3rd) he has no visible bruises, scrapes, or blood on his face and doesn't appear to be sweating atall.

I guess the fights he had on floor's 1 and 2 were pretty easy for him then. 'lol He barely did anything and they all fell to the ground. Unless it was James Tien and Chieh Yuan that did most of the work on those 2 floors?

Actually Bruce filmed from the 6th floor down. So he actually shot the finale first in all his make-up and whatnot knowing that by then his character would have been through some rough battles.

I don't actually remember to well (I'll have to go back and rewatch the footage. Haven't seen it in a while) but didn't Bruce have some unexplained bruise under his cheek (very mild) or something minimal like that on the third floor? I remember reading this somewhere but I never sat down and actually checked for it.

Also, yeah I'm pretty sure Bruce's actual company had to be at least a LITTLE more competent/relevant earlier in the film or on the initial levels of the pagoda. Keep in mind Bruce's company in the film for the pagoda consisted of MORE than just Bruce, James, and Chien. By the third floor some of Bruce's group had been beaten/killed off.

I like this idea but I think that for the outside battle should just be shot for the film and not use archive footage or otherwise.

Also when you say full inside footage I assume you mean of the last 3 floors? According to Bruce's notes the final roster of guardians/floors looked a lot like this (not that all of you don't know but I'll post it for visual purposes)

4th-Ji Han Jae (Hapkido)

6th-Treasure

Now I was just watching Curse of the Dragon (or some other documentary. Idk it was one of the ones on the Enter the Dragon Blu Ray I own) and Dan Inosanto said that Bruce had a group of Karateka on the first floor and 5-7 Gung Fu men on the second floor (each of a different style).

-Bruce approaches or enters the pagoda holding his nunchaku case IN HIS HAND or one of his company holding it for him.

-A large squad of Karateka either guard the outside of the pagoda OR they guard the first floor along with Whang In Sik. If the latter, Bruce and Co. defeat the karateka and fight Whang last. I always kind of imagine this floor as being very reminiscent of the Fist of Fury dojo scene lol

-2nd floor goes similar to the 1st floor. There are 5-7 Gung Fu men of different styles along with Taky Kimura. Bruce and Co. defeat the initial Gung Fu men and fight Taky Kimura last. The remainder of Bruce's company head upstairs to face Dan Inosanto's floor. The scenery of the second floor is almost the theme of a bamboo thicket of green color. Bruce observes the bamboo around the 2nd floor and gets an idea. He takes one stick of bamboo (by this time Bruce is in possession of his nunchaku case/bag). He bends it around and observes it. With this he slings his nunchaku case on the bamboo and slings the bamboo over his shoulder. The movie then cuts to Chien Yuan and James Tien gettin whooped by Dan like we've already seen including Dan's "Dance of Death" technique on Chien. Then everything proceeds like we've already seen from lost G.O.D. footage and Bruce comes up the stairs to the third floor.

-NOTE: Both Whang and Taky sit out of the fight on their floors until Bruce and Co. take out the initial enforcers

-Somewhere along the 1st and 2nd floor the guardians defeat/kill enough of Bruce's company so obviously by the 3rd floor (Dan's floor) Bruce, Chien Yuan, and James Tien are the last men standing of their troupe. Then everything proceeds like the G.O.D lost footage we already have.

Imo I would use NONE of the 1978 G.O.D footage in an "ultimate finishing" or remake of G.O.D. unless it was completely necessary or extremely useful. I'd have everything needed shot from scratch with stand ins. Bruce's only fight scenes in the movie would be against possibly an outdoor fight scene of some sort (like from the pictures we've seen), some fight scene on the outside of the pagoda with a large group of karateka led by a Bolo-esque karate muscle man character, and of course the pagoda scenes.

Also I never understood why so many people get confused with Kareem's eyes in the original G.O.D. footage. Or at least in the parts/version where they look slitted like a snake or a DRAGON.

I think people take that too literally like "Oh his eyes are physically different so he must not be human".

I have a very different opinion. In Bruce's notes I believe it has been stated that Kareem's character (dubbed "Mantis") is somewhat of a legend. He;s the pit of every child and martial artist's nightmares from what I understand. The character is introduced by Bruce's sister in a brief recollection of the tale/description of the legend and/or character. I believe that the dragon/slitted eyes thing was meant to be metaphorical. I could easily see Bruce's sister's character describing Mantis as rumored to having "an inner dragon" or "spirit of the dragon" or something metaphorical like that (of course I was just using examples. I'm sure Bruce came or could come up with something a lot less cheesy than that lol). The slitted eyes were imo just a way to emphasize on that metaphor.

I definately like all this BUT you misunderstand me. I should have said re-construct the movie from whatever is available...by any one who is tech minded (lots of fan-edits of films out there). I also forgot to add the chat the Lee character has with his father (Ho Lee Yan) from Enter ( extended in GOD II). Use the theme from Bruce Lee the the Legend as the movie opening or Joseph Koo's theme from The Tattooed Dragon over new animated titles in a VERY 1970's style and end credits over a series of action scenes/stills.

So my revised idea would be:

New animated credits

Airport footage from Way (re-edited) Lee rushes to the loo! (actually a phone call)

Lee gets phone call (from Way). He's told Nora is being held and to meet Bob Wall at stadium.

Lee disguises himself to get into stadium (Game 1 footage)

Re-dubbed voiceover "Help us or you won't leave alive"....fight scene with Double/Wall

Lee visits his father (Game 2/enter footage re-dubbed) who tells him to see his Sifu

Game 2 footage of Lee double approaching temple

Lee /Monk scene (re-dub)

Lee meets gangsters and sees outdoor training footage (John Little footage icluding close-ups of Lee from Enter office scene) set up of mission.

Next Lee enters his room (Game 2/enter footage).

Lee visits Nora (Game 2/Enter footage) insert close-ups of Nora (re -dub) from Way

Kata footage of Lee from Enter (minus Bob Wall)

Outdoor Enter footage " Mr. Lee....why you no in uniform?"

Outdoor training of fighters - James Tien character ridicules Lee (John Little Footage)

Trip to Pagoda (John Little footage)

Outdoor battle between "Lee" and Karateka (short sequence from Enter the Game of Death)

Locksmith opens door to Pagoda (John Little footage)

ALL available indoor fight footage of original Game footage

Lee shouts to locksmith

Police arrive (Footage from Big Boss)

Lee staggers down stairs for last time

End credits

Someone out there COULD put this together and I would love to help them do it....it could be a much more satisfying version with lots more Lee footage!

4th-Ji Han Jae (Hapkido)

6th-Treasure

I definately like all this BUT you misunderstand me. I should have said re-construct the movie from whatever is available...by any one who is tech minded (lots of fan-edits of films out there). I also forgot to add the chat the Lee character has with his father (Ho Lee Yan) from Enter ( extended in GOD II). Use the music from Bruce Lee the the legend as the movie oening or Joseph Koo's theme from The Tattooed Dragon over new animated titles in a VERY 1970's style and end credits over a series of action scenes/stills.

So my revised idea would be:

New animated credits

Airport footage from Way (re-edited) Lee rushes to the loo! (actually a phone call)

Lee gets phone call (from Way). He's told Nora is being held and to meet Bob Wall at stadium.

Lee disguises himself to get into stadium (Game 1 footage)

Re-dubbed voiceover "Help us or you won't leave alive"....fight scene with Double/Wall

Lee visits his father (Game 2/enter footage re-dubbed) who tells him to see his Sifu

Game 2 footage of Lee double approaching temple

Lee /Monk scene (re-dub)

Lee meets gangsters and sees outdoor training footage (John Little footage icluding close-ups of Lee from Enter office scene) set up of mission.

Next Lee enters his room (Game 2/enter footage).

Lee visits Nora (Game 2/Enter footage) insert close-ups of Nora (re -dub) from Way

Kata footage of Lee from Enter (minus Bob Wall)

Outdoor Enter footage " Mr. Lee....why you no in uniform?"

Outdoor training of fighters - James Tien character ridicules Lee (John Little Footage)

Trip to Pagoda (John Little footage)

Outdoor battle between "Lee" and Karateka (short sequence from Enter the Game of Death)

Locksmith opens door to Pagoda (John Little footage)

ALL available indoor fight footage of original Game footage

Lee shouts to locksmith

Police arrive (Footage from Big Boss)

Lee staggers down stairs for last time

End credits

Someone out there COULD put this together and I would love to help them do it....it could be a much more satisfying version with lots more Lee footage!

Son Of A Gun
Actually Bruce filmed from the 6th floor down. So he actually shot the finale first in all his make-up and whatnot knowing that by then his character would have been through some rough battles.

I don't actually remember to well (I'll have to go back and rewatch the footage. Haven't seen it in a while) but didn't Bruce have some unexplained bruise under his cheek (very mild) or something minimal like that on the third floor? I remember reading this somewhere but I never sat down and actually checked for it.

Also, yeah I'm pretty sure Bruce's actual company had to be at least a LITTLE more competent/relevant earlier in the film or on the initial levels of the pagoda. Keep in mind Bruce's company in the film for the pagoda consisted of MORE than just Bruce, James, and Chien. By the third floor some of Bruce's group had been beaten/killed off.

I didn't realise about the other guys fighting with him on the earlier unfilmed floors. Good point. I guess they did alot of the work.

And you're right, there is a slight red mark on his right cheek. Very faint.

Idk how true this is but I heard (actually from these forums) that there is DEFINITELY more G.O.D footage in the Golden Harvest (or whoever owns the rights to G.O.D) vaults. The same guy (a "mole" at Golden Harvest) that leaked all the info, stills, and full blown out film (shown for a VERY brief time at a foreign festival in 1978) whatnot from the original Mandarin cut of The Big Boss went out on a limb and confirmed this. He was supposed to leak that out as well but I believe that's around the time Golden Harvest crumbled and he was out of a job/didn't work there anymore.

A damn shame...

A damn shame indeed! I didn't know about this before.

What film was shown in a 1978 film festival?

And "shukocarl" you seriously have too much time on your hands! 'lol

I didn't realise about the other guys fighting with him on the earlier unfilmed floors. Good point. I guess they did alot of the work.

And you're right, there is a slight red mark on his right cheek. Very faint.

A damn shame indeed! I didn't know about this before.

What film was shown in a 1978 film festival?

And "shukocarl" you seriously have too much time on your hands! 'lol

Yeah it's freaking snowing here and I'm bored!:smile:

Son Of A Gun

Then you're excused. :wink:

Go out and shoot the opening scenes of GOD set in the snow, with the tree branches bending in the wind and not breaking because they're flexible. :bigsmile:

Son Of A Gun

148fixed.jpg

Bruce - "What are we gonna do with this footage once it's in the can?"

Raymond - "We're going to store it away in the vaults of course, and then after you die, we'll wait untill 1978

and have Robert Clouse chop it into 11 mins and insert it into a totally different film."

Bruce - "Ok, sounds good."

:xd:

Wasnt Gerorge lazenby supposed to be in it aswell and i think Bruce wanted Sammo in it aswell,i know hw was in the cut and pasted version but i think Bruce wanted to use him also

Wasnt Gerorge lazenby supposed to be in it aswell and i think Bruce wanted Sammo in it aswell,i know hw was in the cut and pasted version but i think Bruce wanted to use him also

Sammo was originally supposed to play Chieh Yuan's role...

8pxQFrAI.jpg

always puzzled me why Ji Han Jae is beating up Hwang In-Shik in the outdoor scenes if they were both pagoda guardians but i don't think it's possible. the pagoda was only 5 floors - top floor, 4th kareem, 3rd Ji, 2nd Inosanto so that leaves ground floor as Taky's. Hwang must have been with the karate men guarding the pagoda entrance - exterior shoot to be done at the pagoda location in south korea. And where the hell does Chieh Yuan pick up that big log from? from the floor below? No doubt bruce woulda knew these details.

Golden Arm Kid
148fixed.jpg

Bruce - "What are we gonna do with this footage once it's in the can?"

Raymond - "We're going to store it away in the vaults of course, and then after you die, we'll wait untill 1978

and have Robert Clouse chop it into 11 mins and insert it into a totally different film."

Bruce - "Ok, sounds good."

:xd:

This both makes me laugh and saddens me seeing as how Chow was likely thinking of not saying this lol.

On a side note I'm thoroughly convinced there is footage of the floor in that picture. There are too many pictures I've seen with the floor with the jugs/barrels (unless these were props on a floor we've already seen but they were taken out at the last minute in which case I'm stupid).

They have to HAVE all the sets made before they film on them obviously so why would there be pictures of Bruce obviously in costume/character? Some pics (I've seen one black and white pic on Bruce Lee: The Divine Wind website. It's still there) where it looks like he's doing or running through a scene of sorts perhaps.

Why would he be doing all this and NOT film on that floor if everything was already set up there? Of course unless everything wasn't. I used to not be as sure but nowadays I've seen enough evidence and likely speculation to really believe there should be a decent amount of G.O.D footage left. It doesn't make sense to have pictures of Bruce in costume and likely running through scenes like that and NOT have the camera rolling even if it was just a test take or what have you.

Idk just my two cents

They were handing out logs on the way in.

:bigsmile:

lol

In all seriousness I always envisioned that both Bruce and Chieh got their bamboo and log respectively from either the first or second floor of the pagoda or at least Bruce. Chieh did rightfully so come off as a numbnut in character (Bruce's intention anyhow) so I could see Cheih's character bringing a damned log to the pagoda...well maybe lol.

Lazenby says a LOT of stuff lol. I wouldn't know but I hear he has tendency to contradict himself in regards to what Bruce's plans for him in G.O.D. where if there were any at all.

Son Of A Gun
This both makes me laugh and saddens me seeing as how Chow was likely thinking of not saying this lol.

On a side note I'm thoroughly convinced there is footage of the floor in that picture. There are too many pictures I've seen with the floor with the jugs/barrels (unless these were props on a floor we've already seen but they were taken out at the last minute in which case I'm stupid).

They have to HAVE all the sets made before they film on them obviously so why would there be pictures of Bruce obviously in costume/character? Some pics (I've seen one black and white pic on Bruce Lee: The Divine Wind website. It's still there) where it looks like he's doing or running through a scene of sorts perhaps.

Why would he be doing all this and NOT film on that floor if everything was already set up there? Of course unless everything wasn't. I used to not be as sure but nowadays I've seen enough evidence and likely speculation to really believe there should be a decent amount of G.O.D footage left. It doesn't make sense to have pictures of Bruce in costume and likely running through scenes like that and NOT have the camera rolling even if it was just a test take or what have you.

No, this is the Jabbar floor. I have 100s of pics from GOD and there is no evidence of any other floor not featured in the footage we have. Sorry. You've had an argument with your brain and lost. :smile:

In all seriousness I always envisioned that both Bruce and Chieh got their bamboo and log respectively from either the first or second floor of the pagoda or at least Bruce. Chieh did rightfully so come off as a numbnut in character (Bruce's intention anyhow) so I could see Cheih's character bringing a damned log to the pagoda...well maybe lol.

I don't know about the log. It could have been holding a door open downstairs or something. The possibilities are endless.

they could have stopped at "Logs R Us" on the way there.

But Bruce's green bamboo whip was no doubt brought in with him because the film was supposed to open with the tree branches snapping in the wind and snow storm and in comparison the branch of a bamboo tree was flexible enough to bend in the storm without snapping. So this is the connection to Bruce using the green bamboo whip, I would think.

:nerd:

8pxQFrAI.jpg

always puzzled me why Ji Han Jae is beating up Hwang In-Shik in the outdoor scenes if they were both pagoda guardians but i don't think it's possible. the pagoda was only 5 floors - top floor, 4th kareem, 3rd Ji, 2nd Inosanto so that leaves ground floor as Taky's. Hwang must have been with the karate men guarding the pagoda entrance - exterior shoot to be done at the pagoda location in south korea. And where the hell does Chieh Yuan pick up that big log from? from the floor below? No doubt bruce woulda knew these details.

Whang Ing Sik was supposed to be a kicking master Tae Kwan Do on the first floor with around 50 stuntmen. Bolo Yeung was supposed to be outside the temple and the temple was supposedly (locked?!), or at least whatever they were going to the temple for was locked and Li Kun was supposedly a locksmith who got drunk while the fighters entered the Temple...

The footage of Ji fighting Whang, and Danny Inosanto fighting stuntmen were shot as part of the recognize film to be screened by the Mob Boss sending these men on the raid. Bruce would have filmed even more however Taky Kimura could not come to HK in fall of '72 when Bruce originally started shooting. His scenes were put on the back burner. Lee started the shooting with Kareem in Aug. and shot Danny in Sept. There were stop and start moments to this shoot for reasons never explained by GH studios, however Tom Bleecker explained years later in his book: Unsettled Matters:

Paraphrasing the explanation; Bruce was under heavy pressure from The Triads and since he was no longer under contract with Chow, he opted to for a company with Chow as a partner, thereby being somewhat shielded from them. It's one of the major reasons he and Chow fell out over Way of The Dragon's being released early and Lee wanted to hold out for better offers. Actually the Triads wanted to take the proceeds from any future Lee production and Lee didn't play ball. He really couldn't hire HK help as far as studio people unless Chow authorized it. So he began shooting like a home movie and asking his friends from the U.S. to take part. That's also why he couldn't film in HK and wanted to go to Korea. When ETD was shot in HK at GH Studios, the fact it was WB U.S. made the Triads back off. They did challenge Lee on the set though, as many have heard the tales.

There is so much to this man's story and Chow is at the center of everything bad... One need look no further than the way he treated Linda after Lee's death.

I'm rambling...:crossedlips:

Son Of A Gun

I've read "Unsettled Matters" and found it seriously interesting but when I started reading about Bruce's alleged steroid use to get ripped for ETD, I didn't know what to think. Alot of people say that that particular part of the book was a lie, due to the fact that Tom Bleecker had a messy divorce from Linda Lee and that was a small way in which he could get some payback . By smearing Bruce's name a little.

He did look extremely thin and ripped for ETD and one wonders if steroids were involved, especially as back then steroids were quite a new thing and weren't considered dangerous or illegal. But who knows?