Game of Death: Game Over! - New book on GOD by best-selling author Joe Kenney

Guest mpm74

BTW, when is The Legend of Bruce Lee going to be released anyway?

I know in China, it will be set for release sometime this summer to capitalize on the Olympics in Beijing, but if you think about it, July will mark the 35th death anniversary of Bruce Lee himself.

Guest Markgway
I just finished watching Clouses' version of Bruce Lee's Game of Death, and I've wondered for years what was going on here?

As has anyone else who's sat thru it... :P

Jan Spears was an alias for Clouse, and it must be taken into consideration why he didn't want his name tied to the storyline

Because it's embarrassing? :o

Was he attempting to let fans in on some underlying theme?

I'd say it was just the easiest way to create a cut 'n' paste plot. :cool:

It's obvious Clouse wanted to distance himself from that particular part of producing this film.

Wouldn't you? :eek:

Secondly, why insert actual footage of the Lee funeral in the film?

Because Raymond Chow was/is a greedy bastard with no feelings of sensitivity toward the man who made his studio. :mad:

Raymond Chow was under pressure to get the film released quick as he had been paid a lot of money by a Japanese distribution company, hence the rushed terrible insult to Bruce.

Because Raymond Chow was/is a greedy bastard with no feelings of sensitivity toward the man who made his studio. :mad:

That old bastard! Funny how he managed to live a nice long/rich/profitable life, eh?:mad:

@#$*!!!!

Guest Markgway
Raymond Chow was under pressure to get the film released quick as he had been paid a lot of money by a Japanese distribution company, hence the rushed terrible insult to Bruce.

That doesn't explain 'The Man, The Legend' or 'Tower of Death'.... Face it: the guy was greedy and couldn't give two shits whom he offended.

That doesn't explain 'The Man, The Legend' or 'Tower of Death'.... Face it: the guy was greedy and couldn't give two shits whom he offended.

Right. To make matters worse, Tower of Death's storyline was more closer to Lee's story than the dreaded Jan Spears' story, which I still hold fast to the thought that, what was going on in Lee's personal life at the time of his death was gratuitously flaunted before his fan's eyes in this film, TGOD.

I feel it was just totally disrespectful to his family, and his legacy, especially since he single-handedly saved this studio.:mad:

There are elements in TGOD that smack of serious disrespect towards Bruce as a person, you are right.

Although, to be fair, the whole sorry enterprise reeks of exploitation.

The message of that films is clearly, "Thanks for the cash, Bruce, and here's to us making some more off ya."

What do you think Clouse was trying to say? Remember, the film was completed 5-6yrs after Lee's death. Clouse had to have known some background stories on the Triads and Bruce's run-ins with them. As long as the film in no way depicted Chow, or a Chow-like character, there was liberty to go as far as possible... and look what happened years later to poor Brandon.:( That was no coincidence.

I don't believe he was trying to say anything, Clouse was a hack who got lucky with Enter the Dragon. The actual storyline was most likely cobbled from various rumors about Bruce's death, triads, being murdered etc

Now I wouldn't doubt the veracity of those rumors and Bruce's death was highly suspicious but I think Clouse and most likely Chow just exaggerated those rumors in the film. It was still an embarrassing film and showed Clouse up as the hack that he was (Unfortunately, he still graced us with China O'Brien, goddamn you, you bastard)

Guest Markgway
What do you think Clouse was trying to say?

Nothing at all. A protection racket makes for an easy B-movie plot. Simple as that. 'Billy Lo' was shot in the face purely as a means of having the character don a disguise and cover up the obvious use of a double. Remember when GOD first came out they were trying to suggest that Bruce did A LOT more of the film than he actually did.

and look what happened years later to poor Brandon.:( That was no coincidence.

Of course it was... unless you're suggesting Brandon was murdered? And if so by whom and for what? Conspiracy theory nonsense methinks.

(I)... felt that John Little's Bruce Lee: A Warrior Journey book and documentary without a doubt redeemed Bruce as we got a full understanding of what Bruce wanted in Game of Death.

Yes, I agree with you Al, Little may not be the most likeable guy out there attached to anything Bruce-noteworthy right now, however, no-one went as far as he did to promote the correct story behind Lee's pet project, and the supplimental book is an excellent read to go along with the documentary. BTW, anyone see the mini-footage Little shot while in Korea of the guys entering the pagoda?

... as we all know' date=' no one can ever replace Bruce. Yet to be perfectly honest, I would love to see Bruce's true vision of Game of Death. Here's my proposition: Have John Little direct [b']Game of Death (and not in the fashion of A Warrior's Journey), have Sammo Hung serve as action choreographer, and have Danny Chan cast in the Bruce Lee role.

Genius.:)

sifu iron perm

good thread. GOD was a damn exploitation of Mr Lee. Horrible.

The film/product itself is entertaining and has some unintentional funny moments!

Great soundtrack..barry provided well.

I first saw this in germany and loved it, i was maybe 6/7 yrs old..then later got the UK vhs and sad that the danny innosanto fight was clipped out!

Clouse must hate sammo (lol)..gets beat up twice, by bruce then wall. :tongue:

Good thread. GREAT article. =D

I'm serious, one of the best pieces ever written about the BS surrounding Bruce Lee and Game of Death.

"WAX!!!!"

sifu iron perm
"You be-au-ti-ful bast--ard!"

hahahhaha!!! Just pictured that..

I bet Clouse and co used that bit inspired by the flick Pirahnas!

speaking of GOD..have you seen the film The Rats? There is a scene set in the cinema (movie theatre) where GOD is playing, Bruce vs Kareem.

Jeru the Damaja

A lot of Big Boss talk going on around here lately. I thought I would bump this thread as well for some more healthy debate.:xd:

So anybody think any of this stuff still exists.

AOBFqlJp2js

A lot of Big Boss talk going on around here lately. I thought I would bump this thread as well for some more healthy debate.:xd:

So anybody think any of this stuff still exists.

I think the Tien/ Yuan entrance/ log footage was beyond repair and we'll never see it. Being at the start of a film reel, these scenes would suffer the most damage over

time, especially in what were said to be appauling storage conditions.

As far as the outdoor scenes go. I think the only footage "canned" was Bruce introducing

the Pagoda masters. The Inosanto vs. Bruce photos are clearly publicity stills. If we believed this was a fight then we could just as easily say there is footage of Bruce Lee fighting Bolo because we've seen images of them squaring off on the set of Enter the Dragon.