Game of Death: Game Over! - New book on GOD by best-selling author Joe Kenney

Guest mpm74

Guest Chinatown Kid

The HKL version is widescreen but does not have the greenhouse fight between Casanova Wong and Kim Tai Chung(this same fight can be found on Fox's disc of Game of Death II) in the actual film print that is in the original Chinese version, but that fight can be found in the special features along with the different Chinese opening credits. You can't beat the HKL's GOD disc when it comes to the extras found in the special features. The Fox version found in the Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection box set probably has the best pic quality as I own that as well....

I used to have the Universe DVD of GOD which was the original Chinese version and for some reason the Bruce vs Ji Han Jae fight was cut out, after he fights Dan Inosanto he goes straight to fight Kareem....

Guest chen lung
The Fox version found in the Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection box set probably has the best pic quality as I own that as well....

Remember that Fox is interlaced. HKL's is progressive, if generally inferior.

I used to have the Universe DVD of GOD which was the original Chinese version and for some reason the Bruce vs Ji Han Jae fight was cut out, after he fights Dan Inosanto he goes straight to fight Kareem....

The HK version does that. My grip with the Universe DVD is the remix, PAL>NTSC conversion, and the use of US music during the credits.

Guest Killer Meteor

my Megastar DVD does the same First time I saw this film was on UK's Channel 4 and they screened the HK print censored so not only did we lose the Chi Hon Tsoi fight, we lost the Dan Inosanto fight as well. The German version lacks Chi Hon Tsoi too

The Megastar DVD does have the correct Cantonese music but it looks awful: very washed out with brightness jacked up so whites are blindingly white, like a detergent ad. Sound wasn't too hot either

Guest Chinatown Kid

Interesting, thanks for the info guys. I don't understand why the HK version wanted to cut out the Bruce vs Ji Han Jae fight, seems like they would want to include any fight footage featuring Bruce. The HK version does feature the Greenhouse fight though which is not in the original US version......

Guest Markgway
I don't understand why the HK version wanted to cut out the Bruce vs Ji Han Jae fight

I believe it was an accident. From what I've heard the HK editors wanted to move the fight to earlier in the film to spread out the genuine Bruce footage and so took it out but forgot to put it back in. Sounds too stupid to be true, but that's the story...

Guest Killer Meteor

I wonder if they were saving it for a sequel. it's missing from the German DVD which was the international edition cut to fit the German dub

Was it in the UK cinema version? Chi is absent from the credits, dialogue and every single original trailer I've seen regardless of territory.

Guest Markgway
Was it in the UK cinema version? Chi is absent from the credits, dialogue and every single original trailer I've seen regardless of territory.

Yes, it was.

I don't know why he's absent from the credits.

Guest chen lung
the extra footage on the HKL is non-anamorphic, both japan G.O.D. releases are.

Wasn't the Artport version better quality, or am I thinking of another version (BNB comparison)?

Guest Chinatown Kid

I have the HKL's Game of Death 2 disc and this is what they have in the special features:

Picture Gallery

Trailers(Original Theatrical Trailer and UK Promotional Trailer)

Interviews(Casanova Wong and Roy Horan)

Biography Showcase(Ng See Yuen and Hwang Jang Lee)

Deleted Footage(Greenhouse Fight, Childhood Memories, Funeral Montage, Alternative Credit Sequence)

I just finished watching Clouses' version of Bruce Lee's Game of Death, and I've wondered for years what was going on here?

First, the film was said to be written "by a team of GH staff writers", who finally settles on Jan Spears' script/story. Jan Spears was an alias for Clouse, and it must be taken into consideration why he didn't want his name tied to the storyline:

Rising MA Filmstar, pursued by Syndicate (read Triad), and is supposedly murdered for his resistance to co-operating with them, and threatening to go public against them. Hmmm...?

It is a known fact Lee had been approached by The Triads, exactly which, has never been disclosed. So I find Clouses'/Spears' storyline to be very interesting in hindsight. Was he attempting to let fans in on some underlying theme?

Why not add Clouses' name to the story and not an alias? Spears? I don't like that. It's obvious Clouse wanted to distance himself from that particular part of producing this film. Why? Because he's no longer living, we cannot get the answer from him, however, we deserve a response to the question from someone, tied to the project, you think?

Secondly, why insert actual footage of the Lee funeral in the film? That was a gross error in judgement. It must have been terrible for Linda and children to sit through that at the premiere back in '78.

I was wondering if any real Lee fans have pondered these revelations?:rolleyes:

Comments?

• Like 1

I agree. I mean the official version of Game of Death was absolutely horrible and I personally felt that Bruce Lee was without a doubt betrayed posthumously. He didn't want Game of Death to end up being some standard B-movie fare.

I wrote an article about this in Screen Power Magazine a few years back and felt that John Little's Bruce Lee: A Warrior Journey book and documentary without a doubt redeemed Bruce as we got a full understanding of what Bruce wanted in Game of Death.

You know, as we all know, no one can ever replace Bruce. Yet to be perfectly honest, I would love to see Bruce's true vision of Game of Death. Here's my proposition: Have John Little direct Game of Death (and not in the fashion of A Warrior's Journey), have Sammo Hung serve as action choreographer, and have Danny Chan cast in the Bruce Lee role.

Al, though as intriguing as your proposition sounds, it'll never happen.(I wish it would!) Danny is the perfect guy to play bruce, and his resemblance is, I hate to use the word; un canny. Has there ever been a guy who looks that close to Bruce? From what I've seen of The Legend of Bruce Lee trailer, he really went all-out, building his physique, learning to use the Nunchuku, and ultimately play Lee with an understanding of his real personality, which wasn't really captured by Jason Scott Lee, in Dragon, The Linda Lee Fantasy/Story.:P

This is why Danny is perfect...

DCasBL2.jpg

DCasBL5.jpg